frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Race relations

Debate Information

What would be the reaction to an established non-racist white artist like Eminem using the n-word in his lyrics?

PS. Please keep it civil.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• wmostrom18wmostrom18 3 Pts   -  
    • The n-word should not be a word that should be feared by society. This term has been said for hundreds of years in a non-discriminatory way. There are many terms like this one like cracker and b*tch that describe other people. There should not be a world that demeans a whole race because it was used as such a century ago. If it was so demeaning, why would some people of color say it to their friends? 
  • ih8shartsih8sharts 59 Pts   -  
    @wmostrom18

"The n-word should not be a word that should be feared by society. "

I agree. No word should be feared by society. Words only hurt, insult or otherwise affect you if you chose to let them.

That said, anybody is free to react in any way they chose, as long as it is without violence.
    BaconToes
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    ih8sharts said:
    @wmostrom18

"The n-word should not be a word that should be feared by society. "

I agree. No word should be feared by society. Words only hurt, insult or otherwise affect you if you chose to let them.

That said, anybody is free to react in any way they chose, as long as it is without violence.
    The n-word is a challenging word to understand why its use is wrong, but as I can see, there is some backstory given to the event. Now, back in the 1800's, it wasn't uncommon for the word Negro to be used to describe a black person, but the n-word was used to specifically slander and decicrate black people and culture, and since the 1970's, the word has been mostly dropped because of the meaning which it correlates, a good for nothing black with no chance at societal justice, which is not the grounds that America seeks to imply. Although it is used by colored people, does that make it any more right/wrong in a moral and societal sense?
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• SatyamsinghSatyamsingh 25 Pts   -  
     Eminem  using the n-word in his lyrics .
    First of all that its okay some people pointed that people should me hurted by words and blah blah.indeed that's true .But my point is that if I bully you by a bad name & not only me rather the most world ,how long can you hold up.
    People commit suicide because of psychological bullying,how would you justify that?
    And one thing I wanna point out is that most people above my argument said that the word n should not brle feared by society,But they already hided nigga by a 'n'.why would you do that? Because you are scared you might hurt someone. Everyone knows the full form of 'n' is nigga , then what's the point of writing 'n'.the point is it hurts feeling.it's like mental bullying. People are trying to hide 'n'.why ,are you afraid of truth,reality? I wrote is because I wanna show what it actually means & yes it does hurt people. Sorry ,but to show that I had to use that word in full form.
    @Satyamsingh

Again, it is because of the meaning which the n-word implies that I refuse to show its full form, It is one thing to mention it and it is another thing to use it as an expletive, which is what it seems to be used nowadays as. 
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• SatyamsinghSatyamsingh 25 Pts   -   edited April 2018

@WilliamSchulz

Isn't  coz and because are same.
    See I am not saying that using 'n'  word is right ,anywhere.But if you are using it anyway,it is no different than actual word.you cannot compensate its effect by making it in short form.
    @ih8sharts
    If you are gay and I keep teasing you and also you are very emotional and sentimental.think how would will it affect you in @ih8sharts
    Students commit suicides because of these things
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    I don't understand, why could one race be able to say a certain word, while others could? Doesn't make sense.
    i fart cows

@WilliamSchulz

Isn't  coz and because are same.
    See I am not saying that using 'n'  word is right ,anywhere.But if you are using it anyway,it is no different than actual word.you cannot compensate its effect by making it in short form.
    Here's the thing, curse words and profanity aren't in an of themselves wrong or bad, but they can be depending on how we direct them. If I hurt my thumb and went, Oh f***!, that wouldn't be as bad as me stating, "F*** off!" In the first one, I used it as an expletive, but in the next, I was directing it at a person intending to show hatred of some sort. In the same way, the n-word is never used as an expletive, but used when describing black people, so it is automatically worse in that regard. 

• SatyamsinghSatyamsingh 25 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    @WilliamSchulz
    See I'm not saying you area absolutely wrong,its just thay
    If I said 'oh ' for me that's a reaction to sudden situation but if someone who has been bullied for her rape by word .won't she feel bad.
    See its always perspective what might sound alright to ,might not sound same to others.
    So either we can keep our interest to ourselves only or we can live as a community and support each other.BTW great argument and I am noob here so kindly ignore small mistakes. Thanks
    BaconToes
  • WokeWhaleWokeWhale 41 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    @Satyamsingh
    @ih8sharts
    If you are gay and I keep teasing you and also you are very emotional and sentimental.think how would will it affect you in @ih8sharts
    Students commit suicides because of these things
    Students commit suicide due to many factors. Often, teasing plays only a minor part in overall suicide rates. http://depts.washington.edu/mhreport/facts_suicide.php
    This shows that although teasing and bullying is a problem, it is not a huge cause in terms of suicide statistics. If your argument is that students commit suicide due to a certain action, and therefore we should ban it, then by that same logic we might as well abolish school.
    @WokeWhale
    See it is correct that teasing is not only factor in suicide,but is teasing not a reason ?isn't teasing on a specific issue provoke other bullying actions  and other bullies also?I never said to shut school but shouldn't these practices be?Coming to gay point.if I am gay(though I am not) and I am being bullied and treated as a shame to society.And I am being bullied,and on ,and on, and on...what are my chances of my loosing my hope and accepting that I am a shame to society & shall die for reason I bring shame and my living does not do any good.what's wrong in going against bullying .why people just try to play it in diplomatic way.I have been threw this situation my entire life & I understand how I feel.I myself have tried committing suicide by poisoning (thank god,I drank too much water already ).
    @WokeWhale
    See it is correct that teasing is not only factor in suicide,but is teasing not a reason ?isn't teasing on a specific issue provoke other bullying actions  and other bullies also?I never said to shut school but shouldn't these practices be?Coming to gay point.if I am gay(though I am not) and I am being bullied and treated as a shame to society.And I am being bullied,and on ,and on, and on...what are my chances of my loosing my hope and accepting that I am a shame to society & shall die for reason I bring shame and my living does not do any good.what's wrong in going against bullying .why people just try to play it in diplomatic way.I have been threw this situation my entire life & I understand how I feel.I myself have tried committing suicide by poisoning (thank god,I drank too much water already ).
    Well, I almost agree entirely with your point, but teasing has to be considered a factor here. Namely, that the act of suicide is a choice, and although we can have reasons for suicide, namely poor family life, depression, and school life, those are influenced by factors such as poverty, teasing, and a tragic event. In the end, Reasons are influenced by factors, which in turn influences events.

• AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    I think that the N word shouldn’t be used. But if a big famous white artist used it people probably wouldn’t care.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    No reaction here. Words are merely means of communication, they do not have any power in themselves. And especially in music, which is an art, I think any sort of language is acceptable; what is important is that it fits in the music well. One of my favorite jazz players had a performance with a singer who at some point sang "f!@# you Jesus", which is extremely rude in itself - but it fit the song and its message ("Enjoy the life and don't worry about anything") perfectly.