frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should high schools provide daycare services for students who have children?

Debate Information

It's an interesting idea, but would it be effective and should schools take on this responsibility, I don't know. What do you guys think?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Absolutely yes. The act of underage sex should be discouraged nonetheless.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Schools are already underfunded as it is. Bringing babies to school may sound like a good idea at first, but I can see this becoming an unwelcome trend, and will inadvertently promote teen and preteen sex.
    WilliamSchulz
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Schools are already underfunded as it is. Bringing babies to school may sound like a good idea at first, but I can see this becoming an unwelcome trend, and will inadvertently promote teen and preteen sex.
    It will promote nothing. How can someone who is prolife be against this?! Are you a hypocrite? Are you pro-choice?
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat I agree with someone234. Offering daycare services does not in any way promote teen or preteen sex at all, it might actually give other students a reason why not to have unprotected sex or not have sex at all by seeing their fellow students face the consequences of their decisions. It also might be a way to encourage young parents to continue with their education if they see they have the support from the school that they may not be receiving at home. I think it is very important, especially for teenagers with children that they continue studying and this may help their situation a bit. 
    someone234PogueEmeryPearson
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    I would be for it if our schools had money. But I dont see where the money for those daycares is going to come from. 
    Magic? Thin air?
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited April 2018
    @AmericanFurryBoy This thing your wing calls theft. :)
    Erfisflat said:
    It will promote nothing. How can someone who is prolife be against this?! Are you a hypocrite? Are you pro-choice?
    First point: Schools are grossly underfunded as is. Where will the extra $12,000 per child come from? Completely ignored, and hardly irrelevant.

Point two: Let's face it, babies are cute, and sex is fun, obviously... Bringing a baby to school will obviously raise a lot of questions from preteens and teens who have not yet been exposed to early sex, which will lead to curiosity, and, possibly, considering peer pressure, a need to fit in with the more "popular" teens who are already engaged in sexual activities and having kids. 

I have no opinion on abortion, as I am a man and couldn't possibly understand what the consequences of that kind of choice will lead to. I'm mostly libertarian leaning as I do not promote abortion, but I feel that people must decide for themselves and karma, or the Creator will do the judging, for I am not worthy.
    BaconToes
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:
    First point: Schools are grossly underfunded as is. Where will the extra $12,000 per child come from? Completely ignored, and hardly irrelevant.

Point two: Let's face it, babies are cute, and sex is fun, obviously... Bringing a baby to school will obviously raise a lot of questions from preteens and teens who have not yet been exposed to early sex, which will lead to curiosity, and, possibly, considering peer pressure, a need to fit in with the more "popular" teens who are already engaged in sexual activities and having kids. 

I have no opinion on abortion, as I am a man and couldn't possibly understand what the consequences of that kind of choice will lead to. I'm mostly libertarian leaning as I do not promote abortion, but I feel that people must decide for themselves and karma, or the Creator will do the judging, for I am not worthy.
    We are pretty identical on our approach to abortion, I dig your approach unless it was my kid... I'd want to rip her throat out but that's just me... I wouldn't do it but I'd hate her. That being said, if we suddenly became poor or it was going to be a particularly retarded baby (I don't care how cruel that is) I wouldn't mind an abortion. I want intelligent children and I select my mate including that as a factor. Intelligence is the one thing (the only thing) you can't teach that matters in this day and age but I want them to be kind more than smart, not by much but by a little. An evil genius is much less impressive than a genius on the side of benevolence that outsmarts the evil geniuses at their own game.

I don't know what's so mysterious about taxation and school funding. The money's origin is obvious.
    @Erfisflat I agree with someone234. Offering daycare services does not in any way promote teen or preteen sex at all, it might actually give other students a reason why not to have unprotected sex or not have sex at all by seeing their fellow students face the consequences of their decisions. It also might be a way to encourage young parents to continue with their education if they see they have the support from the school that they may not be receiving at home. I think it is very important, especially for teenagers with children that they continue studying and this may help their situation a bit. 
    If students receive free child care from taxpayer money, this effectively nullifies most "consequences of their decision".
    BaconToes

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat do you want to hurt them for having a child?
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    This is just a quick idea that may not work in the real world, but in theory, daycare can be an optative or students can volunteer for daycare, maybe part of sexed. Not only will it really show teens what it is like to take care of a real child, but it can also give some teens some insight if they want to go into careers that involve interacting with children, for example teaching, pediatrics, neonatology, psychology, etc. 

@Erfisflat How does babies being cute have to do with promoting sex. We all know babies are cute and that does not mean that teenagers will think "I want to have sex and since babies are cute, how bad can it be?" Not at all, their cuteness does not obscure the fact that they're a big responsibility and that teenagers are not equipped or ready to raise one. And also it won't expose anyone to anything new. Everyone, at least teens and preteens know were babies come from, especially since they have to take sex ed and biology, seeing babies in person won't make anyone more curious or exposed than they already are to sex. 
    someone234
  • averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    I do not think that high schools should provide daycare. First of all, if someone is irresponsible enough to get pregnant and be a teen mom, that is their own fault and they are being irresponsible to do that. It's not the high school's responsibility to take care of someone's child so I don't think they should provide their services.
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    averyapro said:
    I do not think that high schools should provide daycare. First of all, if someone is irresponsible enough to get pregnant and be a teen mom, that is their own fault and they are being irresponsible to do that. It's not the high school's responsibility to take care of someone's child so I don't think they should provide their services.
    Something called R-A-P-E. And how about we reform sex-ed instead.
    i fart cows
    @BaconToes A retort to that comeback is abortion.
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    @BaconToes A retort to that comeback is abortion.
    I mean, I am pro-choice, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But, having an abortion at such a young age comes with its risks.
    And most teens are too scared to tell their parents
    Erfisflat
    i fart cows
  • WokeWhaleWokeWhale 41 Pts   -  
    The primary function of a school is education. There are several more viable options, one being actual daycares. Not grossly expensive, and with a variety of options, it wouldn't hurt to choose a local daycare. A school providing childcare would inevitably suffer in other areas. Most high schools are already filled to the brim, with several portable classrooms set up. Childcare would stretch the budget even tighter than it already is, and result in a school filled with even more human being. A room of crying children would distract students, seeing as how a school features classrooms in close proximity to each other. And finally, taxpayer dollars would go towards funding of childcare, taking even more away from other sources such as the education of the students themselves, resulting in a truly horrible spiral downwards with bad childcare and bad education leading to an inevitably bad future for both the child and a parent.
    someone234
    @WokeWhale Remind me again, how does your system avoid this:
    WokeWhale said:
    a truly horrible spiral downwards with bad childcare and bad education leading to an inevitably bad future for both the child and a parent.
    Oh that's right, it doesn't it just makes the spiral more brutal for both child and parent.
    BaconToes
    @Erfisflat do you want to hurt them for having a child?
    This is not my position. There should always be repercussions for our actions, the parent should have to either pay to have child care like anyone else, or continue school when they can. 

Wayne Dyer
  • WokeWhaleWokeWhale 41 Pts   -  
    @someone234 My system would not impact the education of the student. It would provide more personalized childcare, while keeping the original education system intact. That would lead to both better child development and a more optimistic future for the student.
    @WokeWhale What is your system?