frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Does Trump deserve a Nobel prize?

Debate Information

Do you belive that Donald Trump deserves to win a Nobel Piece Prize?

Article -
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-does-donald-trump-deserve-a-nobel-prize/
Max_Air29
  1. Live Poll

?

10 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      60.00%
DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Max_Air29Max_Air29 84 Pts   -  
    Yes, Trump deserves to win a Nobel Price Prize, but that is based on if he can end the Korean War and denuclearize the Korean Peninsula.
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    Nah. Not really.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • DarkwolfDarkwolf 3 Pts   -  
    If he denuclearizes North Korea then sure why not. 
  • Vincent_CostanzoVincent_Costanzo 93 Pts   -  
    Although I am a Trump supporter, I don't think we should give him the peace prize just yet. We need to wait and see to make sure that this isn't just another repetition of the old cycle. North Korea builds Nukes, North Korea "backs down" in exchange for concessions, North Korea builds nukes again. Except this time, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Moon Jae-In asks the U.S. to remove troops from the parallel which he already wants to do. Then, When the cycle starts over again there won't be any American forces where they need to be to support South Korea. We will have lost a major bargaining chip. 
    Goldfish
    @Max_Air29 If he can Verifiably denuclearize the peninsula. We've been through this song and dance before. North Korea promises to dismantle their nuclear program, then in a few years, they magically have nukes back in record time. Almost as if they were never dismantled.
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    Even if North Korea decides to denuclearize, all I see is Trump screaming on Twitter and throwing insults at Kin Jong Un.

So, no.

i fart cows
  • whiteflamewhiteflame 689 Pts   -  
    I feel like, if North Korea were to disarm reliably (I agree with @Vincent_Costanzo that this is a difficult outcome to achieve, given their history of "rearming"), I'd still have a hard time justifying Trump's receipt of a Nobel Peace Prize. If something like that actually happens, who would you congratulate? It seems like South Korea's Moon Jae-in would be at least as deserving of a candidate, if not more so. For that kind of lasting effect, China would have to take some kind of action. I'm not sure they'd be deserving considering that they've propped up North Korea for so long, but they'd certainly be a candidate. 
  • SonofasonSonofason 448 Pts   -  
    As others have noted, its too early to say.  
    @BaconToes President Trump has been much harder politically on North Korea than past presidents have been. Many others, Clinton, Bush, and Obama come to mind, gave them unnecessary concessions for promises they have no intention of keeping. President Trump pushes for increased sanctions and hasn't taken the use of force off of the table while working for a peaceful solution. This kind of approach goes well beyond "screaming on Twitter." and is just what we need to have even a chance at success. However, As I stated previously we need to wait and see what happens and what deal gets made.
    Goldfish
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    I haven't actually ever had explained to me what Trump has done that has supposedly caused North Korea to change their minds. To me it's looked like North and South Korea are pretty much handling it themselves.
    @Ampersand He has taken a more hardline approach towards pressing UN sanctions and trying to get them enforced.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-mnuchin-north-korea-largest-single-sanctions-push-2018-2

Without outside help, Nork Korea is dead in the water. They won't be able to sustain their regime. This threat has been increased by President Trump warning other countries that deal with North Korea that there will be economic consequences if they continue.
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    @Ampersand He has taken a more hardline approach towards pressing UN sanctions and trying to get them enforced.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-mnuchin-north-korea-largest-single-sanctions-push-2018-2

Without outside help, Nork Korea is dead in the water. They won't be able to sustain their regime. This threat has been increased by President Trump warning other countries that deal with North Korea that there will be economic consequences if they continue.
    I know he has increased sanctions somewhat, but why are we assuming that is the deciding factor? Your own link seems to show that this isn't the case - noting that there was a start of a rapprochement between North and South at the Olympics before Trump announced he would be instituting greater sanctions.
  • whiteflamewhiteflame 689 Pts   -  
    @Vincent_Costanzo I don't think it's as simple as saying that the hardline approach of the Trump administration brought Kim Jong Un to the table. There is certainly some indication that they may be effective, but touting these sanctions as the major reason why the North Korean leader decided to come to the table may be a bit hasty. On an economic level, they were already in bad shape before they decided to try to reach a deal. That's not to mention that other factors are clearly at play in drawing Kim Jong Un into diplomacy, including the leverage he's slowly been building with missile tests and concerns about aggression as those tests continue. [https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/22/asia/kim-jong-un-three-theories-intl/index.html]

The fact remains that it will be difficult to estimate specifically what effect these sanctions have had on North Korea, particularly since they are rather good at avoiding sanctions and these sanctions don't really target China, their major trading partner. Focusing on shipping and trading companies, as the policy does, certainly seems to have some substantial effects but it leaves many of North Korea's financial backers untouched.[https://www.vox.com/2018/2/23/17044176/north-korea-sanctions-trump-war-olympics]

And even if we could attribute a clear and substantial effect to these policies, I don't think all the credit goes to Trump. Congress granted the power to do this kind of sanction to Obama in early 2016, and while he didn't immediately act on it, Trump would never have had the capacity to do this if not for those efforts.[https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/04/06/those-north-korea-sanctions-might-be-working-heres-why/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d259168d1158]
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    I believe that Trump deserves the Nobel Prize for underdog of the century.

Other than that, I don't admire him at all.