frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What is your highest value? How would a society based on this value look?

Debate Information

Credit to WinstonC (he is not me so I have to give this credit): http://www..com/debate/show/What_is_your_highest_value_How_would_a_society_based_on_this_value_look#arg869038

Which value do you hold above all others? Examples of values might include freedom, order, equality, utilitarianism, scientific progress, spirituality and so on.

What would a society that holds your highest value as it's highest value look like in practice? Can you think of any possible problems with such a society?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited December 2017

I'd say my highest 'value' is bargaining.

I am one of these people who even in the most dire circumstance would barter to give you my toe to save myself a finger or the other way around depending on whatever I think I need most.

There are not always winning strategies in life, sometimes it's about losing the better loss... Choosing the lesser evil.

This is so important to me and I believe that societies that constantly negotiate and bargain about policies and rights and operate on lesser evil basis are the better places to live in. The places in the world that operate on absolutes of any kind or even worse that bargain for the worse outcome are the least pleasant places to live on Earth.

Credit to me on CD (same link as debate description)

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited December 2017

I'd say my highest 'value' is bargaining.

I am one of these people who even in the most dire circumstance would barter to give you my toe to save myself a finger or the other way around depending on whatever I think I need most.

There are not always winning strategies in life, sometimes it's about losing the better loss... Choosing the lesser evil.

This is so important to me and I believe that societies that constantly negotiate and bargain about policies and rights and operate on lesser evil basis are the better places to live in. The places in the world that operate on absolutes of any kind or even worse that bargain for the worse outcome are the least pleasant places to live on Earth.

Credit to me on CD (same link as debate description)

• MikeMike 97 Pts   -  

Scientific progress in social systems.

EmeryPearson
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    Scientific and technological progress.

It would likely take form as a technocracy, or form of governmental consensus. 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Individual freedom and quality of life are by far the highest values I hold when evaluating a given society. The general preference goes as follows:

1. Free prosperous societies.
    2. Non-free prosperous societies.
    3. Free non-prosperous societies.
    4. Non-free non-prosperous societies.

The focus on freedom is a result of my chaotic and individualistic nature: I've always hold a lot of views that the societies I've lived in didn't support; I'm simply not created for conformism. And the quality of life is what lets me live a long and healthy life, with a lot of comfortable tools at my disposal.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar Do you realise that in the type of anarchy you talk about, any level of evil could occur and nothing would be in place to prevent it?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    @someone234

I think the focus on individual freedoms would provide a sufficient protection from people trying to find loopholes in a libertarian system to perform malicious deeds. Regardless, my highest values are mostly used for evaluation and general recommendation; in the practical implementation of the system of governing, there will of course be exceptions and clarifications.