frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

No one has ever been harmed by following the teachings of Christ.

Debate Information

I'm referring to the Christian Bible here. Prove me wrong.
  1. Live Poll

12 votes
    1. Agree
      33.33%
    2. Disagree
      66.67%
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• with_all_humilitywith_all_humility 222 Pts   -  
    I agree with your assessment, some will point to the crusades of the mid-ages, and perhaps the slavery that took place during colonial America. However, those times were the product of heinous men, not the doctrine of Christ nor the doctrine of the apostles. 
    TKDB

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Mr_BombasticMr_Bombastic 144 Pts   -  
    Keep in mind that this does not include harm by others who were not themselves harmed. 
    Evidence
    @with_all_humility
    And those same people defend Islam, even though the so called radicals are doing exactly what their murdering pedophile "prophet" told them to do.
    George_Horse
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -   edited July 2018
    Are you so sure? I would not be so confident on this ridiculous claim. 
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • LogicVaultLogicVault 123 Pts   -  
    The crusades. A lot of soldiers died fighting to spread Christianity.  Christians died in that conflict. Point proven. You're wrong.
    Polaris95
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Jesus of Nazareth was executed through crucifixion for following the teachings of Christ. It is hard to classify this historically documented fact as not constituting any harm to Jesus, hence, at the very least, one person has been harmed for following the teachings of Christ, making your claim incorrect.
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    I agree with your assessment, some will point to the crusades of the mid-ages, and perhaps the slavery that took place during colonial America. However, those times were the product of heinous men, not the doctrine of Christ nor the doctrine of the apostles. 
    @with_all_humility, @Mr_Bombastic ; and the rest of you dear Believers, .. I think we should make a distinction here, and now between Christianity, and followers of Christ.
    Christianity was, and mostly is anything but Christ-like, and me coming from an all Catholic country like Croatia can verify that first hand.

So I voted 'agree' specifically on the O.P. tittle; "No one has ever been harmed by following the Teachings of Christ" and NOT on the Christian misconception as if Christians were ever followers of Christ. I know how this sounds, so, ..
     I would love to debate this with you my dear brothers in Christ, those who love Jesus and Gods Word in the Bible, because if there was ever time in the history of man to debate this, it is now.

I have renounced my Christian Religion and jumped way back 1,700 years back to the pages of the N.T. being just a poor, humble follower of the Way, the Truth and the Life, and everyone here should know who that was!
    Why should we continue to give power to the Devil to attack our Lord and the Bible? If we call ourselves Christian, that is exactly what we do, give the devil a foothold.

So can we do that here, with prayer and civility? Using ONLY clear Scripture to define our stand, .. what do you all say?
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    Errrrrrrrr, the Crusades? Millions dead through a purely religious conflict in the name of God and Christianity.
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    I'm referring to the Christian Bible here. Prove me wrong.
    @Mr_Bombastic did you just 'edit' this part in: "I'm referring to the Christian Bible here." ?

Since when did the Bible become Christian?
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    Pretty sure the money changers suffered from being thrown from the temple.
    Evidence
  • GandGand 14 Pts   -  

If one follows the teachings of Jesus, "love your neighbour," "love your enemy," "turn the other cheek" etc, then those teachings shouldn’t produce harm. However some Christians appear to disregard those teachings and seem more concerned with personal salvation and a belief that it is through faith rather than through good deeds that one is accepted into heaven.

There are Biblical passages that would seem to support this idea, for example this one:

"We can give to the poor and needy; we can be kind; we can think good and honorable thoughts. And we may convince ourselves that these good works will help save us on Judgment Day. Not so! Even if I lived for years without breaking God’s Word in thought and deed, it would avail me no credit. “Not by works of righteousness . . . but according to his mercy he saved us” ~ (Titus 3:5).

Evidence
  • pocopoco 93 Pts   -  
    you: The crusades. A lot of soldiers died fighting to spread Christianity.  Christians died in that conflict. Point proven. You're wrong.

me:  1st you have to prove that the Crusades followed Jesus' teachings re the OP's question of

"No one has ever been harmed by following the teachings of Christ."

Since the Crusades was about forcing their ideas on others, money, land & a power grab, the Crusades didn't follow any teachings of Jesus ...... unless you can prove otherwise.  This time please stay on task. 

Evidence
  • pocopoco 93 Pts   -  
    you:  Errrrrrrrr, the Crusades? Millions dead through a purely religious conflict in the name of God and Christianity.

me:  1st you have to prove that the Crusades followed Jesus' teachings re the OP's question of

"No one has ever been harmed by following the teachings of Christ."

Since the Crusades was about forcing their ideas on others, money, land & a power grab, the Crusades didn't follow any teachings of Jesus ...... unless you can prove otherwise. 

Evidence
  • LogicVaultLogicVault 123 Pts   -   edited July 2018
    @poco
    They believed it was within the rules of Christianity or they wouldn't have done it in the name of Christianity. If you're going to nit pick that it has to be ONLY things Jsesus said then you're only going to shed light on how some things Jesus said conflicted with other parts of the bible. Which would go to show how Christianity contradicts itself. Good luck.
  • pocopoco 93 Pts   -  
    you:  They believed it was within the rules of Christianity or they wouldn't have done it in the name of Christianity. If you're going to nit pick that it has to be ONLY things Jsesus said then you're only going to shed light on how some things Jesus said conflicted with other parts of the bible. Which would go to show how Christianity contradicts itself. Good luck.

me:  Nit picking has nothing to do with you not addressing the actual OP.  If you want to start another thread re what you are addressing here, then please be my guest.  You are answering a question not asked in the OP.  I could also find fault with what you have stated here, but will not bc you'll cry over .......  whatever you think is too difficult or too involved for you to answer. 

Instead, how about specifically dealing with Jesus' teachings ..... as the OP demands.  You must use Jesus' specific teachings, not what some misguided people SAID was in the bible ...... but really was a perverted message they used for an end to THEIR OWN agenda, nothing to do with Jesus' teachings. 

As you stated earlier re ADHD.  I've learned to slow down my thoughts, & read things twice & slowly to grasp what the author of comments, OP's are tying to tell/ask me.  It's not your perception of what is said, it's the author of what is said that matters in these cases.  In this case, it's the teachings of Jesus, nothing else.  So, go to the NT & find where Jesus' words/teachings have harmed people.

@LogicVault
    The Crusades were fought to prevent Murdering Muslims from taking over the world. 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    @Mr_Bombastic

That was the official version. The consensus among historians nowadays is that it was actually a war for land and influence between European and Arabic kings, and religion on both sides was simply used as an excuse to incite people and to lead them to battles that, their faith tells them, are justified.

Besides, at the time Muslim societies were in many ways more civilized than Christian ones. For example, when Saladin conquered Jerusalem, he let many refugees go, prohibited his troops from doing any looting or vandalism, and treated war prisoners rather well for the time. Crusaders usually were not as forgiving.
    Of course, partially it was the result of all the wealth Muslim conquerors accumulated over centuries, as well as their extremely beneficial geopolitical location. It is much easier to believe in higher values when you have palaces made of gold standing everywhere, than when you have to pick worms from soil to survive.

@Evidence
    A Christian is a follower of Christ. Christ and God are one in the same. God (Christ) is the author of the Bible. Any questions?
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  

Well, what are martyrs then? Many people were harmed for following the teachings of Christ, in some cases just identifying as a follower of Christ was enough to warrant execution...

Others like some priests and missionary in Rwanda during the genocide who despite being warned that they would die if they stayed, did so anyway BECAUSE Christ taught them to do so... Surely many Jesuits also died all over the world because of the teachings that it's the duty of every christians to spread the good news of his resurrection... Much like this guy who got killed by Sentinelese tribesmen because it was his duty to "convert them"...

So yeah, many people got hurt by following the teachings of Christ...

" Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • 21CenturyIconoclast21CenturyIconoclast 169 Pts   -  
    @with_all_humility

YOUR QUOTE: "I agree with your assessment, some will point to the crusades of the mid-ages, and perhaps the slavery that took place during colonial America. However, those times were the product of heinous men, not the doctrine of Christ nor the doctrine of the apostles."

Hey, nice deceiving Christian spin doctoring! NOT!  

Jesus, as Yahweh God incarnate, stated with specificity within his written word the following relative to the Crusades and Slavery: 

"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, BUT KILL HIM. Your hand shall be the first raised to SLAY HIM; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall STONE HIM TO DEATH, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12) 

“The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants WILL BE BEATEN WITH MANY BLOWS. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment WILL BE BEATEN WITH FEW BLOWS. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." (Luke 12:47) 

with_all_humility , maybe you should take your blatant bible ignorance to a "Children's Religion Forum" where you will be more comfortable with equally bible ignorant kids, yes? You're welcome.