frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should US Constitution be revised to support updated reality of our times?

Debate Information

After hundreds of years of US constitution, does it need to be updated?
  1. Live Poll

?

16 votes
    1. Yes
      37.50%
    2. No
      62.50%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I think that US constitution is still relevant and holds the right values for our country.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    It is still good.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    There is already a method for changing the constitution.  It has been done a number of times already.  Are you asking whether or not we need an Amendments Convention?
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, to clarify I am asking if a broad overhaul is required.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    The only updates that might be needed are Amendments as the modern electronic world develops and changes. However, these Amendments should not modify or revoke previous Amendments. The Constitution as it stands was written in general terms to describe the rights of the people in any circumstance. A common argument against the 2nd Amendment, for example, is that guns are now more advanced and should be treated legally differently; however, the actual wording of the Amendment only specifies the organization of arms and the right of the people to defend themselves, which are fine ideas that can be untouched my modern developments.
  • PinoPino 85 Pts   -  
    Yes. New laws are constantly being introduced and archaic ones deleted to reflect the the changed and ever changing world in which we live.
    In this context it is reasonable to assume that there are articles within the constitution which need amending/updated or even withdrawn.
  • hucj_rockhucj_rock 2 Pts   -  
    No, the constitution serves as a document from the beginning of the US, it must not be changed.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    The problem I have with the idea of revising or changing the U.S. constitution is primarily that no one can seem to bring any relevant information to the table about what it is specifically that they want to change.  Words like "Archaic" and "Outdated" have been used alongside words like "Ancient".  What is it specifically that needs to be thrown out?  What specifically needs to be added?  Most references that I've seen that contain any type of specifics as to the suggestion of change are concerning the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms".  Additionally these suggestions for change also mostly include the demand that the 2nd Amendment was somehow referring to the right to have hunting weapons or the right to have a self-defense weapon and this ideology is so far off in left field that it's shameful to listen to or read. 

Regarding the right to keep and bear arms, this "Right" was established as a preventative measure to keep the U.S. Government from becoming tyrannical or oppressive...that's it.  Our Forefathers saw exactly what happens when there is no way to keep the Government in check and therefor created a system that would prevent their new Country from ever having the same issue.  Simply put, if the Government has Assault Rifles...then we need them to.  If the Government has fully-automatic weapons...then we need them too.  Our Forefathers left the burden of keeping the Government in check on the shoulders of the people...should we then expect the people to fight back against the Government with pistols, shotguns and hunting rifles when they have Military grade weapons? 
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• valexiajj1927valexiajj1927 14 Pts   -  
    Vaulk said:
    The problem I have with the idea of revising or changing the U.S. constitution is primarily that no one can seem to bring any relevant information to the table about what it is specifically that they want to change.  Words like "Archaic" and "Outdated" have been used alongside words like "Ancient".  What is it specifically that needs to be thrown out?  What specifically needs to be added?  Most references that I've seen that contain any type of specifics as to the suggestion of change are concerning the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms".  Additionally these suggestions for change also mostly include the demand that the 2nd Amendment was somehow referring to the right to have hunting weapons or the right to have a self-defense weapon and this ideology is so far off in left field that it's shameful to listen to or read. 

Regarding the right to keep and bear arms, this "Right" was established as a preventative measure to keep the U.S. Government from becoming tyrannical or oppressive...that's it.  Our Forefathers saw exactly what happens when there is no way to keep the Government in check and therefor created a system that would prevent their new Country from ever having the same issue.  Simply put, if the Government has Assault Rifles...then we need them to.  If the Government has fully-automatic weapons...then we need them too.  Our Forefathers left the burden of keeping the Government in check on the shoulders of the people...should we then expect the people to fight back against the Government with pistols, shotguns and hunting rifles when they have Military grade weapons? 
    I agree.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I wouldn't mind seeing an amendment requiring Congress to have a balanced budget, or at the very least, a budget.
  • nimailmsnimailms 2 Pts   -  
    I highly disagree with changing or revising our constitution.
    there are many issues with doing so including the following...

1) who will be changing it, an argument could spark regarding that.
    2) Republicans and Dems can't agree on anything, how will they agree on this, they won't.
    3) Possible legislative changes, including minor and major.
    4)An outbreak could occur as well as a major debate.
    5) American will be changed, and the document is a major part of our own country.
    CYDdharta said:
    I wouldn't mind seeing an amendment requiring Congress to have a balanced budget, or at the very least, a budget.
    @CYDdharta ; That sort of issue is usually determined by the party in control; would you mind elaborating on your point?
  • adebateronDI_1adebateronDI_1 17 Pts   -  
    No, It's a part of US history as well.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I agree with @CYDdharta .  I will not advocate a balanced budget, but I would suggest strong limits by how much it can be exceeded and special measures to exceed it. Our national debt is growing out of control and we ate mortgaging the future of our country. I am highly concerned about other superpowers buying our debt, and therefore exerting tremendous leverage over us. 
    Live Long and Prosper
  • nato_baronato_baro 9 Pts   -  
    No, it's a piece of US and world history.