frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Climate Change Real?

Debate Information

many are questioning global warming, what do you think? 
  1. Live Poll

Is Climate Change Real?

16 votes
    1. Yes
      93.75%
    2. No
        6.25%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Global warming is absolutely real.  There is plenty of evidence.  I am disappointed with so many people abdicating responsibility for the problem we created
    EmeryPearsonPolaris95
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    Yes. I'm a republican m, but I do believe that's this major issue needs to be address.
    EmeryPearson
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    It will be so much easier for us to have a clear conscience if we convince ourselves it is not real.  We really can't mortage the future and continue to neglect this problem, for sake of our kids and future generations.

EmeryPearson
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • nato_baronato_baro 9 Pts   -  
    Of course, there is a lot of scientific data to prove that.
    EmeryPearson
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    I can understand why people would be skeptical of it. There are a lot of exaggerations and unfounded, unscientific practices that have gone into collecting statistics for some aspects of climate change. Given that, it's undoubtable even due to visual evidence alone that something bad is happening to our earth's environment.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    I know that many Reps and conservatives don't believe in the climate change.  I now see 7 votes all acknowledgimg the climate change issue, so while I recognize that 7 is too small of a sample, I expected to see more of a controversy on this topic at DebateIsland given that there seem to be more Republicans on the site.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • Yes, if is real. there is an overwhelming amount of evidence for that case.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Of course Climate change is real...the only constant on this planet is change and the climate is no exception to that rule.  However, there is no evidence that any of the changing factors of the climate are bad the for the Earth or bad for Humanity.  The ocean rose 20cm in the past 100...OMG...but the ocean also rose 20cm in the 100 years before that...and the 100 years before that...it's a trend and has nothing to do with Humanity nor is it an indicator that something is wrong. 

Until you can answer this question then I refuse to accept "Global Warming" as a threat:  "What is the optimal temperature for the surface of the Earth"?  Scientists cannot answer this question.  Nobody knows.  I CAN tell you that in periods supposedly before humanity, science has confirmed that CO2 was hundreds of times higher than it is today and that our current CO2 production is a tiny fraction of what it used to be before we even came along according to our Scientific community.

http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/07/06/nobel-prize-winning-scientist-who-endorsed-obama-now-says-prez-is-ridiculous-dead-wrong-on-global-warming/

EmeryPearsonPolaris95
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I'll believe we have a good enough understanding of the variables when we can come up with a climate model that accurately predicts the climate for 10 years in a row 5 years in the future.  The models we have now can't even accurately show last year's climate numbers using data up to the year before last.
    EmeryPearson
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta , there is some much scientific and empirical evidence on the subject that while cannot be categorically "proven", far outweighs the facts supporting opinion that global warming is just not real. If we deny the reality of global warming then we will continue to mess up our environment, making it even worse for future generations.
    EmeryPearson
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
    @ale5 ; It's still unproven.  we shouldn't waste resources until we know definitely what's going on.  Until we know exactly what's going on, we can't know how effective our "solutions" will be.  Global warming is a belief, like any other religion.
    EmeryPearsonAmericanFurryBoy
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    The science is not even settled on whether at a low concentration of CO2 in a planetary atmosphere, its increase leads to increase, or decrease of temperature. There are many complex molecular, atomic and thermodynamic effects at play, and how the solar heat is distributed takes very complex models running on supercomputers with thousands CPUs to estimate - and those estimates currently are very crude and strongly deviate from the observations.

Suffice to say the question on whether humanity contributes meaningfully to the global increase of temperatures, or does not, or even slows it down - is not even close to being directly addressed, let alone answered.

People who say that "the science is settled" tend to not know that much about science, and almost every serious physicist I know realizes how fallacious the popular narrative is. There have been dozens Nobel laureates in physics dismissing the popular claims, and only a few directly supporting the AGW theory. Same among climatologists, who see how their field is being corrupted by money-hungry hijackers from the inside and regularly voice their concerns. Figures such as the "97% consensus" are literally made up with 0 data backing them up, and this whole situation strongly resembles the assault of church on the Medieval society circa 900 AD, where the claim that "the science is settled" on the existence of god was used to shut down any opposition and let the church get extremely rich and powerful at the expense of gullible peasants.

I am not exactly an authority of science, but nonetheless I believe I speak for every critically thinking scientist when I say that a large fraction of climatologists no longer follow scientific method and, instead, follow their grant money. Commercialization of science is a good thing in general, but, just like with commercialization of anything else, it has downsides.

Then, again, I come from a field where rigorous evidence is needed for any claim to be taken seriously. Standards in such fields as sociology, philosophy, and now also climate science, with regards to following the scientific method have been sliding down for quite some time, and nowadays almost any paper with numbers in it can get published given the authors have decent networking skills.

• No the polar ice caps are melting because aliens are aiming a giant laser at them
    Polaris95
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    This shouldn't even be a debate. The figures match up. Global warming is caused by humans, and is a major problem that is not getting enough attention.
    CYDdharta