frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Reddit Atheism - Do these folks hang out on train stations?

Debate Information

Reddit Atheism is probably the largest forum in the world for atheists, but it is frequently visited by religious groups trying to make their voice heard.  I was hoping to find a civilized place to debate Atheism vs Religion on Reddit, but that's not what this Atheism reddit turned out to be.  

Reddit threads ranging from mormon prophets to gay marriage bans overwhelm /r Atheism.

Since reddit is sort of anonymous, I was wondering where do 2million  Reddit Atheism subscribers hang out in real life? Obviously they feel strongly enough about the topic to join the yelling match of discussion of Atheism vs God vs Whatever.  

I was taking a train in NYC last week and a seemingly civilized middle age woman was sitting in a crowded train.  She got up from her seat and gave quite an entertaining run for their money to all the passengers looking to get home after a long day at work.  She basically accused the government as all being mormons aiming for World domination.  She was really articulate and I would give her an A as a public speaker. She went name by name and recited some facts on each one.  It sounded pretty convincing backed up with sources and articulated sound bytes.

Are these the type of people who are posting on Reddit Atheism or other Reddit religion related forums?  That hardly looks like a place to debate in a meaningful way, but to spit out meaningless fake news and conspiracy theories? 

Is this woman from the NYC train incident the one who posted on Reddit Atheism bunch of mormon-related articles?  That is right up her ally, and would fuel her desire to be heard?

It's an interest dilemma. Religion is a hot and highly personal topic for so many.  It is in many ways a more personal issue than if you are left or right, or your feelings about Trump. However, where do you go to discuss the topic.  You really can't do it at work, can't do it on Facebook, can't do it on crowded train (except of course the middle age woman from my story).  If your family and friends don't share your views then discussing it with them is problematic as well.  People turn to reddit Atheism in hope of finding an echo chamber? A place to discuss? A place to debate?  Whatever is the reason let them blow off some steam on Reddit instead of a crowded train.

I’ve seen some interesting debates on DebateIsland.com about specific religion views, existence of God, if Atheists have morals, and etc.  I find these discussions enjoyable to get diversity of opinions and views.  At times these discussions went a bit off the rail as well, but nothing like I’ve seen on Reddit Atheism or other Reddit religion related threads.  If people want to debate a topic as sensitive as Atheism and religion then Reddit is probably not a place for it.

Reddit Atheism (Reddit /r Atheism)
https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/top/
CuriousGeorgelove2debateBaconToes
  1. Live Poll

Reddit Atheism?

6 votes
    1. Thumbs up
      16.67%
    2. Thumbs down
      83.33%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
    I would stay away from Atheism and religion reddits and other forums
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    Reddit Atheism is an echo chamber
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    So what is your question @agsr ? Do you want to debate atheists about "atheism", .. or someone defending R-atheism? or our opinions specifically on Reddit-atheism?

I was on some "atheist Forums" and found that all they do is mock God, misquote and misinterpret the Bible, and pat each other on the back for ANY comment against God, or the Bible. No different than all the seminars, or debates with their atheist Religious Leaders like Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss, they get on stage, announce each others credentials, then they mock God, the Bible and, ironically Christianity, while the stupefied crowd cheers!

Atheism, like any other Organized Religion has NOTHING to do with worshipping our One and Only Possible Infinite Creator "I Am", or even trying to come to know, or understand who God is, .. far from it. Organized Religions, and that's both the theistic and atheistic religions do mainly One Thing, which is to defend their religious views and their god/gods ideas.

So for atheists, whatever denomination they belong to, for them to mock Mormons, or any of the thousands of various Christian Religions is, well, .. I'll just say; not very smart. It's like a foreigner with a heavy English accent, using broken English to correct another person from another country with his broken English. It's actually funny.

No atheist really believes that there is no God, that's an impossibility, .. and if they were honest about it, that would be the end of their Religion. I mean; what would they debate?

So atheists can only  "claim" they don't believe in God, or that "God does not exist", and because deep down they KNOW God exists, they go on debating their religion for the rest of their life. Same with theists, "they claim there is a God", .. but they KNOW that their god/gods is not the One True and Only Possible Infinite Creator "I Am", so they too go on debating it (their religion with their own personal god/gods) for the rest of their life.

Theist/atheist are two sides of the same coin: "Religion".
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Evidence, thank you.  
    The point I wanted to debate was that I don't believe that reddit Atheism forum is not an appropriate place to actually debate.  It is full of weird characters that just want their voice to be heard and not really interested in debating anything.  
    BaconToes
    Live Long and Prosper
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Reddit is a social networking service.

Atheists are atheists.

And people who hang about on trains preaching, obviously have nothing better to do.

Reddit atheists probably spend most of their time, hanging about in front of a P.C.

BaconToes

agsr said:
    @Evidence, thank you.  
    The point I wanted to debate was that I don't believe that reddit Atheism forum is not an appropriate place to actually debate.  It is full of weird characters that just want their voice to be heard and not really interested in debating anything.  

@agsr
    Oh, here I go going off the deep end again because I read the word "atheism".
    I checked it out and it's about the same as other Religious debating sights. What I consider a good Forum is where, not only requires evidence to back up what we say, but also where everyone can vent out their true feelings about a subject with moderators that don't take sides, .. which is next to impossible if you are on a specific Forum like atheist or Christian. Naturally they will be more tolerant with those who associate with the Forum, right?

So yes, I wouldn't go to an atheist Forum and expect a warm welcome for my opinions on atheism, .. nor would I go to a Forum that excludes atheists, or any other Religions.

In other words; if you're an atheist, BE an atheist, .. a Christian, BE a Christian, .. a Flat Earther like my friend here @Erfisflat BE a flat Earther, don't stop debating because you are loosing, .. you know what I mean? It's OK to doubt, that's how you know you are growing.
    If your opponent proves you wrong by showing you that you're wrong, accept it!

A few years ago I was a Christian living on a globe, now I am an anti-Christian, anti Religion soldier who lives on Gods Flat Earth seeking any sign that I may be wrong on either of these decisions!?
    Erfisflatale5agsrSilverishGoldNovaBaconToes
  • It's a circle jerk.
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    It's a circle jerk.

What's a "circle jerk"?
    Erfisflat
  • Evidence said:
    It's a circle jerk.

What's a "circle jerk"?
    Well, it means an echo chamber that only exists so people who all agree with eachother can boost their egos.

I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    That's not the literal, inappropriate definition, lol.
    BaconToes
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • Erfisflat said:
    That's not the literal, inappropriate definition, lol.
    It can also mean when a group of men jerk eachother off in a circle. 

BaconToes

• George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    That is not all of us. Some are crazy, most are normal, we congregate on reddit to express our contempt for religion. 
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles