frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

If you think "God is evil", and the next guy thinks the same acts are good, is God evil?

Debate Information

Just curious...

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    To me yes, to the other guy no.
  • JudaismJudaism 180 Pts   -  
    Incorrect, it is the eternal atheist delusion to make G-d out to be evil, for example, you guys claim that G-d sanctioned child sacrifice as in the case of Abraham and Isaac, but this is wrong. Firstly, it was never the Creator's intention to have Abraham kill his son, it was only a test, and secondly, do you really think billions of the faithful are killing their children or want to?
    anonymousdebater
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    It would depend on why the person believes that God is evil. We can't call God evil during a period of spiritual dryness, or if he mystically doesn't give us a job we were hoping for. God is not a being who we can fall upon every single time. I mean, we should when it comes to things spiritually, but we can't count on God to do something magical for us when we need it. Rather, we should ask for spiritual guidance, or wisdom, a gift of the Holy Spirit. In conclusion, to answer the question, more information is needed.
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    "Evil" is an inherently subjective concept and can only exist within the scope of a determined moral system. While some world views do try to postulate "good" and "evil" as determining, rather than determined by, the moral system (see Dungeons & Dragons alignment system, for example, where "good" and "evil" have pretty objectively defined meanings) - in the end it is more of a lexical exercise, than the actual views on the reality.

Goddess Lolth from Dungeons & Dragons is defined as "Chaotic Evil" - however, to he followers, Drow priestesses, she is anything but evil. She gives them purpose, she unites them under a single banner, she enforces the legal system which they see as the righteous one (essentially "survival of the fittest" with a strong sexist flavor), and she shelters them from those on the surface who cast them out of their world eons ago.
    To me, she is pretty evil. To them, she is as good as a god can get.

Is, say, Christian god evil? I see him as such; I do not see how a non-evil being can allow such horrible events to happen to people, when it can prevent them at will - and also the whole concept of torturing people for eternity for "sins" seems very grotesque to me. 
    But, say, Hestia seems to be a very good goddess, if a bit old-fashioned. She promoted family values, and also practicality over following one's emotions. 

When people disagree on a certain god being evil or not, the disagreement just comes from the difference between their moral values. And since objective morals do not exist, it is impossible to determine in the abstract sense whether the god is evil or not.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @Judaism well atheists don't believe in a God therefore they can't believe a Good sanctioned anything
  • brontoraptorbrontoraptor 123 Pts   -  
    @WordsMatter

Sure ya do. You believe in a singularity of some sort.
  • I don't infer anything about something that is not falsifiable.
    Plaffelvohfen

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited July 2019

"If you think "God is evil", and the next guy thinks the same acts are good, is God evil?"

I think that anti religious ideologists, are going to view God, as they individually choose to?

And then use the Bible, against God, and Jesus, and the religious individuals, as they individually choose to do so as well?

What's easier to do, protest God, Jesus, the religious individual, and religion in general on the internet?

Or, go to a religious building in person, and ask a news media outlet crew, to meet the anti religious ideologists at that same religious building, and be interviewed by the news media outlet crew, as the anti religious ideologists, protest Religion in person, and make the evening news at the same time? 

I think it's easier for a anti religious ideologist, to protest Religion on the internet, because I've yet to see, any anti religious ideologist, making the nightly news, because they showed up in public, and protested Religion in person?
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    Whether a person thinks God is evil or not depends on what they already believe about morality.

For example, there are people who think a father shooting a man about to rape his daughter is immoral because they see no moral difference between the violence of rape and the violence of self defense.

Likewise an atheist thinking God is evil for killing a person sees no difference between the authority of God and that of a man.

So the question is not, "Is God moral?" But, "is the action being judged actually immoral?"

Ask an atheist why it is immoral and he will tell you he feels it is self-evident.

Ask him what moral code he uses to judge God and he will reply, his own.

Ask him why its more correct than the theists code that absolves God, and he will again tell you he feels it is self-evident.

I have never met an atheist able to debate the issue. They just insist it is self-evident without debate.

The majority of people do not view God as evil, thus the position that God is evil is NOT self-evident.

It is evident only to atheists, and they hold the fringe position. There is a reason why its fringe.
    TKDB
  • jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    It's not based on personal evaluation, as thoughts are not the determination of what is true, the first logical problem with the question.

2. Considering that Good and evil are based on what defines good and evil, in context , a person's evaluation can be effected based on whether or not they are good or evil.

3. By defining that a difference between good and evil, you logically assess a difference between the two.

4. Assessing a difference means that Good and evil are opposed to each other in sense of what they define.

How they are defined is based not on personal sentiments but a moral condition and a difference between good and evil.

The highest moral being is God as God's nature is inherantly good.

When dealing with what is true, you have to realize what is true is objective, and not the result of personal evaluation.

Since what is true is objective, good and evil are objective definitions or what you are objectively defining.

What is true is an application of what applys to all matters , and all things.

In consideration a person being less morally capable than God can not evaluate Good a cording to an imperfect moral standard.

Jesus is God and good.