frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Jesus exists, change my mind.

Debate Information

Nathaniel_BZombieguy1987George_HorseEvidence

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    Burden of proof is on you.
    George_HorseZombieguy1987Evidence
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -   edited September 2018
    If Jesus exists, I'm sure I would've seen him/her by now....

But, because we have no proof he/her doesn't exist

He/her doesn't exist.
    George_HorseEvidence
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    Burden of proof is on you.
    He's right.
    Zombieguy1987Evidence
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Jesus of Nazareth died over 2,000 years ago, according to historical sciences. His remains probably are still out there (after all, in the ideal conditions remains may be conserved for hundreds millions years in some recognizable shape), so, in a sense, he still exists, indeed.
    ErfisflatEvidenceZombieguy1987
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    Jesus of Nazareth died over 2,000 years ago, according to historical sciences. His remains probably are still out there (after all, in the ideal conditions remains may be conserved for hundreds millions years in some recognizable shape), so, in a sense, he still exists, indeed.
    He was there "hundreds millions years" ago, and can attest to this fact.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • PieterPieter 40 Pts   -  
    Ouch. I didn't realize this is the way a persuade me debate worked.

Firstly, @Zombieguy1987 the absence of proof, does not qualify for the proof of the opposite. If someone goes missing, there is no proof that he/she was murdered, because without a body, there is no murder. You will agree with me though that the probability of this missing person being murdered remains even though the proof of murder cannot be found. The lack of evidence therefore does not proof the lack of truth.

To those who agree that Jesus existed, but died 2000 ago, I want you to consider this: Jesus dies, and is resurrected. How do I know that? Because not long afterwards, his followers - who saw Him after He was resurrected - are willing to die for witnessing his resurrection. If this was one person, I could agree with you that maybe he/she was a lunatic, but this was not one person, almost all of the 500 people who saw Him alive after He was crucified were killed because they chose to spread the word of what they saw. Why would anyone do that? Why would anyone choose to die because of a lie, unless the lie was indeed the truth?
    EvidenceZombieguy1987
  • JoesephJoeseph 653 Pts   -  
    @Pieter

This claim is made in all kinds of places.  Even William Lane Craig brought it up in his debate with Bart Ehrman when he said the following:

The original disciples suddenly came to believe so strongly that God had raised Jesus from the dead that they were willing to die for the truth of that belief.

Ehrman’s response sums the situation up very well:

I hear that claim a lot, but having read every Christian source from the first five hundred years of Christianity, I’d like him to tell us what the piece of evidence is that the disciples died for their belief in the resurrection.

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    Pieter said:
    Ouch. I didn't realize this is the way a persuade me debate worked.

Firstly, @Zombieguy1987 the absence of proof, does not qualify for the proof of the opposite. If someone goes missing, there is no proof that he/she was murdered, because without a body, there is no murder. You will agree with me though that the probability of this missing person being murdered remains even though the proof of murder cannot be found. The lack of evidence therefore does not proof the lack of truth.

To those who agree that Jesus existed, but died 2000 ago, I want you to consider this: Jesus dies, and is resurrected. How do I know that? Because not long afterwards, his followers - who saw Him after He was resurrected - are willing to die for witnessing his resurrection. If this was one person, I could agree with you that maybe he/she was a lunatic, but this was not one person, almost all of the 500 people who saw Him alive after He was crucified were killed because they chose to spread the word of what they saw. Why would anyone do that? Why would anyone choose to die because of a lie, unless the lie was indeed the truth?
    "Jesus dies, and is resurrected. How do I know that? Because not long afterwards his followers - who saw him after he was resurrected."

Well, can I ask these "500 followers" so I can see if they're not lying?

Because I want ACTUAL proof that Jesus exists, not something that was 2000 years, where evidence can be tampered, or is just lies.

But since there is no proof that can be refuted, I cannot accept your claim that a man who died, who was resurrected, with 500 people as witnesses, and not find any proof, other then the Bible which in it of itself is one giant fallacy 
    Evidence
  • KruenpiperKruenpiper 40 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

Well you can't ask these people because they're dead... But you can read their writings both in the New Testament and some which are not cannonized in the Bible, recounting their experiences with Jesus of Nazareth.

Also, I would ask you: prove George Washington or Alexander the Great existed. I'm curious as to your response. 

Because if you can't accept historical documents as basis of historical facts than you live in a present with no substantial past.
    Zombieguy1987Evidence
    @Kruenpiper
    "If you can't accept historical documents"

uh huh, right. Go assume that I don't accept history, even though I'm a huge 20th century history buff 

Also you're question to prove George Washington and Alexander The Great existed is a really bad question because WE CAN PROVE their existence, unlike Jeuse because last I heard, a man can't just walk on water, and just come back from the dead. Sounds like something from a movie
    KruenpiperEvidence
  • KruenpiperKruenpiper 40 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

You didn't answer any of my questions.

You didn't prove anything. How can we prove they existed? 
    Zombieguy1987Evidence
    @Kruenpiper ;
    You ever heard of this magic word called documents?

Because we have documents about Washington's existence (I don't know who Alexander the great is) But Jeuse? The bible 
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    @Kruenpiper ;
    You ever heard of this magic word called documents?

Because we have documents about Washington's existence (I don't know who Alexander the great is) But Jeuse? The bible 
    @Zombieguy1987 You don't know who Alexander the Great was? Maybe he was a buddy of this Jeuse guy you mentioned!?

Have you seen these abbreviations; 2018 A.D. and/or 500 B.C. ever used?

Today the international standard is to designate years based on a traditional reckoning of the year Jesus was born — the “A.D.” and "B.C." system. "A.D." stands for anno domini, Latin for “in the year of the lord,” and refers specifically to the birth of Jesus Christ. "B.C." stands for "before Christ."

How about these?

A.B.B or B.B.B, ..  like 13.75billion years A.B.B. (After the Big Bang), or a few microseconds BBB (Before the Big Bang)?
    Of course not, even BB-Cosmologists wouldn't want to look that, .. umm that far gone!?
    Zombieguy1987
  • JudaismJudaism 180 Pts   -  
    Wew - as a good Jew, I'm staying out of this one!
    Zombieguy1987Evidence