frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

How should we restrict atheism?

Debate Information

Atheism is a mental illness.
Zombieguy1987JoesephNathaniel_BSilverishGoldNova

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    Nathaniel_BSilverishGoldNova
  • JoesephJoeseph 653 Pts   -  
    Says a jackass who believes in talking serpents , a talking donkey called Balaam , a virgin birth , a zombie called Jesus who turns water into wine and all because it's in book of nonsense written by flea ridden Bronze Age Goat herds , but atheists are the "mentally ill " ones ....Hahahabwahahabwa you're comedy gold you jackass 
    Zombieguy1987Nathaniel_B
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

Are you judging all of the religious individuals with your pictures? 

Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought:

You do realize the types of commentary that you are likely going to garner from some of the atheists in the Religion section of this website with the question that you posed? 
    Zombieguy1987
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I don't believe atheists deserve to be treated differently than advocates of any other religion.
    Zombieguy1987
  • Again, here in the US we have a constitucional right to believe what we want to.
    Nathaniel_BOrthodox_ChristianZombieguy1987
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

Are you judging all of the religious individuals with your pictures? 

It's called a counter argument.

Yeshua said atheists are mentally ill, and I show her that's wrong because atheists are smart and take their sick kids to the hospital instead of praying
    Nathaniel_B
    Again, here in the US we have a constitucional right to believe what we want to.

Does it look like these seven states care?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists#seven
    Nathaniel_BCYDdharta
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

And the religious parents who aren't religious extremists take their kids to the hospital to Zombieguy.

The above is called debating both sides of the debate instead of self pandering to your own rhetoric.

Nathaniel_BZombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

Does it look like the atheists care about the religious parents who aren't religious extremists? 

And lump in the religious parents with the religious extremists? 
    Zombieguy1987
  • Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    I am subscribed to the subreddit r/atheism. I have seen for myself how religion demeans people. I must first start off with this:

1. Atheism, what is it? Answer: It is the LACK of belief in a god or gods. 
    2. Is Atheism bad? Answer: No, but some atheists ARE bad. 
    3. Should it be restricted? Answer: Of course not. Atheism does not promote violence, or idiocy of any kind. 

Now for me to say this. Why isn't religion restricted? So believing in something without any evidence for its existence is NOT ? As I should quote from @Joeseph
    "Says a jackass who believes in talking serpents , a talking donkey called Balaam , a virgin birth , a zombie called Jesus who turns water into wine"

So believing that animals are capable of communication with humans, a female can give birth WITHOUT her eggs being fertilized, and a human can have god-like superpowers, could convert water into wine is NOT a sign of mental Illness? Are you going to tell me that all those events (Excluding Historic events) actually happened? Not believing in Santa Claus is a sign of mental Illness? And is not believing in unicorns and fairies also a sign of a person having a mental Illness? 

I believe you confuse the definition of "Mental Illness" and twist it in your way to make it sound proper. 
    Regardless, Atheism is good and it shouldn't be restricted in any way. 
    Zombieguy1987JoesephCYDdharta
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
  • JoesephJoeseph 653 Pts   -  
    @Nathaniel_B

Excellent contribution Nathaniel and thank you for the mention
    Zombieguy1987Nathaniel_B
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  

1. Atheism, what is it? Answer: It is the LACK of belief in a god or gods. 

Atheism is a disbelief in a God or Gods.

If it is simply a lack of belief in a God or Gods, then atheists must believe that the existence of a God or Gods can be proven.  If one believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God, they they are agnostic, not atheistic.

Nathaniel_BZombieguy1987Joeseph
  • @Nathaniel_B
    2. Atheism isn't necessarily bad, but anyone that will include Atheism in their worldview is philosophically really badly trained,
    3. But it inevitably leads to skepticism. Not the kind of skepticism of ''yeah bud, not believing in this theory yet'' but philosophical ''the only thing provable is that you think and therefore exist''

>''Now for me to say this. Why isn't religion restricted? So believing in something without any evidence for its existence is NOT ?''

Do you have a proof on the existence of logical absolutes?

Nathaniel_BZombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Restricting belief in something is silly and pointless, but it stems from the common intolerance towards opinions one dislikes.

Restricting LACK of belief in something, on the other hand, is a totalitarian view based on the idea of "everyone is a servant to one ideology". It is not restricting belief in something; it is restricting all beliefs in something but one. It is infinite times worse.

The former is Bernie Sanders. The latter is Joseph Stalin. Both are vile and authoritarian, but the latter is still obviously much worse than the former.
    Nathaniel_BZombieguy1987
  • @MayCaesar
    Now here's a fun question. Can you prove that's wrong?
    Zombieguy1987Nathaniel_B
    TTKDB said:
    @YeshuaBought:

You do realize the types of commentary that you are likely going to garner from some of the atheists in the Religion section of this website with the question that you posed? 

You do realize the types of commentary that you are likely going to garner will be irrelevant...