frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Institutional Racism does not currently exist in the U.S.

Debate Information

With the rising trend in the Media to bring Racism to the front lines of public awareness and interest, one must think critically and independently about why this is happening.  To the average person it would be fairly obvious, "Racism wouldn't be so rampant in the news if Racism weren't an issue in our Country". 

No one can argue that Racism doesn't exist in our Country, it always has and most likely always will so long as people have the freedom to be ignorant.  The more pressing issue however, is the idea that somehow "Institutional Racism" is a huge problem.  So let's define what Institutional Racism is before we tread further.

Institutional racism is distinguished from racial bigotry by the existence of institutional systemic policies, practices and economic and political structures which place minority racial and ethnic groups at a disadvantage in relation to an institution's racial or ethnic majority.  Source: NAACP.org

So let's all understand that:

1. Institutional Racism is not the same as Racial Bigotry.
2. Institutional Racism must include the existence of:
    a. Institutional systemic policies.
    b. Practices.
    c. Economic and political structures.
3. The inclusions from 2. must place minority racial and ethnic groups at a disadvantage.
4. The disadvantage placed by the inclusions of 2. must be on a minority group that is not of the institution's racial or ethnic majority in question.

I am obviously taking the position of Pro in this debate as I do not believe in the current existence of Institutional Racism in the United States.

The debate standards are as follows:

1.  Logical Fallacies will not be accepted as argument.
2.  Generalized statements are not allowed as arguments in this debate.  General agreement or disagreement statements are acceptable but will not be used to support or counter the argument.
3.  Due to the nature of the debate concerning systems and institutions, arguments must be case specific and must identify the system and instance.
4.  Banter and general bickering will not be accepted as valid argument.

Good luck!

joecavalryislander507
  1. Live Poll

Is Institutional Racism A Problem In The U.S.?

13 votes
    1. Yes
      61.54%
    2. No
      38.46%
"If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, there is no institutional racism in the US at all. There is no discirimianton as well. This can't be a problem if the problem doesn't exist. Also, with Trump signing (possibly) an anti LGBTQ executive order, that could get changed or turned.
    islander507EmeryPearson
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk, amazing articulation of the arguments.  I agree.
    natbaronsEmeryPearson
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    I agree with @vaulk .
    EmeryPearson
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Yes, it is a problem. And to solve the problem, You just have to stop talking about it. It would be non existent if the media would shut it's mouth.  But the world is already far too divided to change now.  It divided every single group of people.  The blacks hate the whites [not all of them] . The whites hate the blacks [not all of them] The christians hate the muslims and vice versa.  The Democrats and republicans hate each other. The Whites hate the mexicans and vice versa.  Like really? There is no going back now.
    raehuiwmelanielustEmeryPearson
  • raehuiwraehuiw 24 Pts   -  
    It's a major problem especially now. I agree with @logic 'a points and side of the debate. Many races religions etc. hate each other and that's both ways in some cases. 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @Logic

Very well put my friend.  Your point is aligned with Morgan Freeman's point of view in case you didn't know.

Mike Wallace "How are we going to get rid of Racism"

Morgan Freeman "Stop talking about it"

I'm a firm believer that the only reason we have such an upfront and "In your face" issue with Racism is because it's being presented by the media as a "HUGE issue".  It's fueled by the Media, stoked by media bias and partial ideology of so called experts and constantly fed by the special interest groups that are now the ones who are streaming live beatings of opposite races, burning buildings, rioting and destroying personal and public property.

EmeryPearson
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I believe there is an issue, but we also have strong mitigating anti-discrimination policies by many enterprises 
    EmeryPearson
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk  Ah yes, Morgan freeman. My second favorite person, Next to Malcolm X.
    randalmelanielust
  • randalrandal 67 Pts   -  
    There is no institution racism in the US. Trump is only helping decrease racism throughout the county. 
    love2debateLogicmelanielustEmeryPearson
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @randal Trump is helping decrease racism? That's just laughable.  The first KKK rally in a while, Happened around the time Donald Trump was being elected/was elected.    Like seriously?  He has only increased tensions in america between different people.
    EmeryPearson
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    randal said:
    There is no institution racism in the US. Trump is only helping decrease racism throughout the county. 
    I am not sure I agree that Trump helped to decrease racism, but I Also don't advocate that Trump increased it.  
    I will argue that a combination of Trump administration and media certainly highlighted the topic of racism in our country.  

http://debateisland.com/discussion/317/if-i-support-trump-am-i-a-closet-racist

We don't have insitututional racism in the US, but it does exicist to some defree as long as we are all humans.  Our country generally encourages diversity, but that doesn't mean people will still not be suspicious of other races than their own and racial bias will not exist.
    For example, we have affirmative action in place to give african americans better education opportunities.
    I cannot think of too many countries where people fully enbrace all races without giving it a second thought. 
    EmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @agsr ; I agree.  I don't believe in the idea that we have racism in the U.S. on an institutional level, but no one can deny that racism exists here and that it most likely always will. 

Here's a good video on our current Racism issue in the United States.  There's some interesting points that the media conveniently leaves out whenever they bring racism into the picture as a major issue.

melanielustEmeryPearson

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  

EmeryPearson