frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Justice Kavanaugh confirmed with a 50-48 vote.

Debate Information

How do you feel about that? I don't know anything about him except that he is conservative and prolife Catholic.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    For once I'm actually happy for a conservative to win. It proves that we're tired of the leftist attacks on people by using false accusations as a means to win  
    Nathaniel_BSilverishGoldNovaApplesauce
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987 Amen. I have survived a violent crime and deeply disrespect leftists hijacking what happened to people like me, and making chit up.
    SilverishGoldNovaZombieguy1987Applesauce
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought ;
    imagine you reported crime 15+ years from now. No one would take you seriously. That's how bad libtards how made rape/sexual assault claims. A weapon to defeat their opponents  
    Nathaniel_B
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    He is a constitutionalist and anti-federalist, believing in the expanded state powers and the restricted federal powers, and seeing the Constitution as the guiding principle in law-making, rather than an instrument for a party to achieve its mercantile goals.

I disagree with a lot of his stances on specific subjects, but I admire his overall approach, and I see him as one of the best nominated judges in the last few decades.

Zombieguy1987Nathaniel_BApplesauce
  • Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    I don't see him as bad. I didn't believe the accusations, I hope he can do good throughout his career. 
    SilverishGoldNovaZombieguy1987Applesauce
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
  • @Zombieguy1987 It's rather alarming how accusations of serious crime is just being used as a revenge method or a method of winning, and how increasingly common it's becoming.
    Zombieguy1987Applesauce
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    @SilverishGoldNova what examples has it led to actually winning? I know trump was accused and won, and kavanaugh was accused and won. So it doesn't seem like an effective strategy to employ.
    Zombieguy1987
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    @SilverishGoldNova what examples has it led to actually winning? I know trump was accused and won, and kavanaugh was accused and won. So it doesn't seem like an effective strategy to employ.
    It was a VERY effective strategy during the 0bama years. 
    Zombieguy1987
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta specific examples please?
    @CYDdharta specific examples please?
    Fast and Furious, spying on journalists, Benghazi, using the IRS against the opposition, and we still have the sham Mueller fishing expedition just to name a few off the top of my head.
    Zombieguy1987
    @CYDdharta I mean examples where sexual assault/rape accusations have been used and resulted in a win. Ya know what the person who I first responded to said. You could be right that it happened a lot under Obama but I'd like to establish concrete examples before moving forward in the debate.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    @CYDdharta I mean examples where sexual assault/rape accusations have been used and resulted in a win. Ya know what the person who I first responded to said. You could be right that it happened a lot under Obama but I'd like to establish concrete examples before moving forward in the debate.
    Those are all examples of smear campaigns; but if you're only interested in sex smears, it worked well against Roy Moore just a few months ago.
    Zombieguy1987
    @CYDdharta I mean it is a thread about sex accusations. Im just staying on topic. Do you think such a massive swing against Roy Moore in a state that voted overwhelmingly for trump, despite the allegations against trump, and has been historically republican for a long time is purely due to the molestation claims? Does the failure of the claims against Kavanaugh, and it's inability to swing any republicans to a no vote and still resulted in a democrat voting yes, leave you with a serious concern about sex crime allegations being an effective method to win going forward? Over other types of false accusations?
    Roy Moore had a lot more going on than just those accusations; how he interpreted the law while at the public office was borderline anti-constitutional, and that was the main point of that campaign.

For me, the best true examples of sexual misconduct accusations leading to a political downfall are the stories of Strauss Kan and Julian Assange. In the US this particular type of story tends to have a relatively low impact on the outcome of political campaigns, but we still can manage to drown politicians when we really want to - it is just that we do it by the mere amount of accusations thrown at them, rather than by several very damning ones. Take the election-2016: both main candidates easily had over a hundred different accusations thrown at them, with very few, if any, having anything to do with their ability to do the president's job.

In contrary, in, say, European Union it is usually 1-2 really nasty stories that everyone focuses on. Not 100 minor complaints. Which is both better and worse, depending on how you look at it.
    WordsMatter
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    @CYDdharta I mean it is a thread about sex accusations. Im just staying on topic. Do you think such a massive swing against Roy Moore in a state that voted overwhelmingly for trump, despite the allegations against trump, and has been historically republican for a long time is purely due to the molestation claims? Does the failure of the claims against Kavanaugh, and it's inability to swing any republicans to a no vote and still resulted in a democrat voting yes, leave you with a serious concern about sex crime allegations being an effective method to win going forward? Over other types of false accusations?
    Kavanaugh may have made it onto the bench, but I seriously doubt that's the end of the story.  If the Dems take the house in Nov, they'll probably move to impeach him.  They likely won't be successful, so they'll demand he recuse himself from any cases having anything even tangentially to do with anything he was accused of (rape, sexual misconduct, perjury, substance abuse, etc.).  Considering Kavanaugh was among the very highest rated candidates for the job, the fact that he only made it by one vote shows that the allegations were quite effective.
    Zombieguy1987
    @MayCaesar would you say sex crime accusations are effective in achieving the ends? Would you say you're seriously concerned about them being weaponized going forward?
    @CYDdharta you didn't answer my question about Roy Moore. Why do you think Thomas wasn't impeached under the Obama era? Do you know it takes a two thirds vote in the Senate to impeach a supreme court justice? Do demands of recusal necessarily mean that sex cringe claims were effective in achieving their ends? Were the accusations already proved in effective because the ends would be to keep Kavanaugh off the court?
    @CYDdharta you didn't answer my question about Roy Moore. Why do you think Thomas wasn't impeached under the Obama era? Do you know it takes a two thirds vote in the Senate to impeach a supreme court justice? Do demands of recusal necessarily mean that sex cringe claims were effective in achieving their ends? Were the accusations already proved in effective because the ends would be to keep Kavanaugh off the court?

I'm quite confident Moore would have won the election if not for the sex allegations.  The left wasn't as unhinged while 0bama was in office as it is now, and Thomas is a minority, not to mention there already have been calls to impeach Thomas.  Actually, it only takes a majority of the House to impeach a justice, it takes impeachment plus 2/3 of the Senate to remove a justice from office.  Bill Clinton was impeached, he was not removed from office.  The smear campaign isn't over, we won't know if it will be  effective enough to force Kavanaugh off the bench for some time to come, probably years.
    @CYDdharta would it be easier and less of a crisis to remove kavanaugh or to stack the court? Would or should republicans ever resort to the same tactics? If no how do you know recent similar claims against democrats were true?
    @CYDdharta would it be easier and less of a crisis to remove kavanaugh or to stack the court? Would or should republicans ever resort to the same tactics? If no how do you know recent similar claims against democrats were true?

FDR owned both the House and the Senate in 1937, and not even he was able to pack SCOTUS.  Such a strategy requires a compliant media. The mainstream media is leftist and thus of, by, and for the Dem party.  The GOP couldn't pull off a Kavanaugh type smear if they wanted to.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987 You make a good point. I was raped by my father and no one seems to care. Thank you.
    Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNova
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    consider that Merrick Garland whom the democrats wanted agreed with Kavanaugh over 90% of the time, then look at his previous confirmations etc, he's a great pick to protect the constitution and our rights.  Now read some of the descents from the democratic supreme court judges and they are legislating from their bench with feelings.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    If he's under investigation for rape, I don't think he should be nominated until after the result. 
    Polaris95 said:
    If he's under investigation for rape, I don't think he should be nominated until after the result. 

He isn't.  Such a complaint has never been filed.
    Nathaniel_B
    @Polaris95 ;

Aside from brutally violating the principle of presumption of innocence that is a cornerstone of the US system of justice, such mentality would create a loophole allowing anyone to permanently bar anyone they want from ever being nominated for anything. The person could just keep accusing the individual of something, and the individual would never be eligible for a nomination.

Propositions such as this should be well thought out before being made.