frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is the Christian god evil?

Debate Information

The Evil God Challenge demands explanations for why belief in an all-powerful all-good God is significantly more reasonable than belief in an all powerful all-evil god
Zombieguy1987

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Because an infinitely wise being would naturally do good. What is the good is another question. But He would, by His nature, do what is considered good.
  • JoesephJoeseph 655 Pts   -  

You say .....Because an infinitely wise being would naturally do good. What is the good is another question. But He would, by His nature, do what is considered good. 

My reply ..... But a maximally evil god would naturally do evil. An evil god by his nature would do what is considered evil.
  • `But a maximally evil god would naturally do evil. An evil god by his nature would do what is considered evil.`
    Evil implies wrong. A infinitely (beyond maximum) wise being wouldn't be able to do wrong, ethically or metaphysically.
    You say .....Evil implies wrong.

My reply ....Youre kidding right?

You say ....infinitely (beyond maximum)

My reply .... Really , you want to get into semantics ?

You say ..... wise being wouldn't be able to do wrong, ethically or metaphysically.

My reply ..... Wise ? I stated evil god was maximally evil 
  • @Joeseph
    Then what does evil mean genius? Ethics is answering the question ''What is (the) good? Yeah, I get into semantics when I need to. 
    >>>`Wise ? I stated evil god was maximally evil `
    Which would go against omniscience.
    @Orthodox_Christian

You say .....Then what does evil mean genius? 

My reply .... Ahhh come on this is simple stuff for a Christian ....

Evil according to a Christian worldview is any action, thought, or attitude that is contrary to the character or will of God.

You say .....

Ethics is answering the question ''What is (the) good? 

My reply ....Couldn’t give a fig about your appeal to what ethicists say regarding good , what’s the Bible say?

You say ....Yeah, I get into semantics when I need to. 

My reply .... You should consider Joining pedants anon

You say ....Wise ? I stated evil god was maximally evil `

You say ....Which would go against omniscience.

My reply .... Nonsense, evil god knows everything 

• >>>''Ahhh come on this is simple stuff for a Christian ....

Evil according to a Christian worldview is any action, thought, or attitude that is contrary to the character or will of God.''

And this is contrary to what I said how?

>>>''Couldn’t give a fig about your appeal to what ethicists say regarding good , what’s the Bible say?''

It doesn't give a definition of ethics. It has an ethical system, obviously, but it doesn't give you a Beginner's Guide To Philosophy For Dummy Kids

>>>''Nonsense, evil god knows everything ''

But God, who has maximum agency, wouldn't do what He ''believes'' to be wrong.

• JoesephJoeseph 655 Pts   -   edited October 2018
    @Orthodox_Christian

Evil according to a Christian worldview is any action, thought, or attitude that is contrary to the character or will of God.''

You say .....And this is contrary to what I said how?

My reply ... Great so we are agreed on the Christian worldview of evil 

You say ...It doesn't give a definition of ethics. It has an ethical system, obviously, 

My reply ... Where did I ask for a definition of ethics?  That’s surprising to you is it?

You say .....but it doesn't give you a Beginner's Guide To Philosophy For Dummy Kids

My reply .... That’s unfortunate as it’s exactly what you needed in your  last dreadful attempt at a god proof 

You say .....But God, who has maximum agency, wouldn't do what He ''believes'' to be wrong.

My reply .... Evil god certainly would 

• >>>''Where did I ask for a definition of ethics?  That’s surprising to you is it?''

You didn't ask for me, you just demonstrated a ignorance of what it is.

>>>''Evil god certainly would''

No He wouldn't because that be irrational even to us unless He's some addict. He has infinite agency, so He can do the incomprehensible. So, in His Mind, I'm guessing He'd (note that this is more of a analogous description, God isn't exactly defined this way) be thinking ''I think I'll do what I consider to be good''. There is nothing to cause God to somehow lessen or do something that He believes is wrong. Whatever He does, He believes it to be right.
    @Orthodox_Christian

You say .....

You didn't ask for me, you just demonstrated a ignorance of what it is.

My reply ... Incorrect , I told you I couldn’t give a fig as regards your appeal to ethicists  , do try and keep up

You say .....
    No

My reply 

Yes 

You say .......He wouldn't because that be irrational even to us unless He's some addict.

My reply ... He would because that’s totally rational and consistent with evil gods character 

You say ....He has infinite agency, so He can do the incomprehensible.

My reply .... Likewise evil god 

You say ....

So, in His Mind, I'm guessing He'd (note that this is more of a analogous description, God isn't exactly defined this way) be thinking ''I think I'll do what I consider to be good''. There is nothing to cause God to somehow lessen or do something that He believes is wrong. Whatever He does, He believes it to be right.

My reply .... That would be consistent with a good gods character but that’s irrelevant as Evil god is the one true god 
  • Alright, what is ''evil'' to you? If evil is being contrary to God's will, then God's will would be only good, and He has infinite agency to do so. I think you might be committing equivocation fallacy.
    @Orthodox_Christian

You say .....

Alright, what is ''evil'' to you?

My reply .... What have I got to do with evil god and how he defines evil , mine not to know the mind of evil god 

You say .....If evil is being contrary to God's will,

My reply .... If ? 

You say .....then God's will would be only good, and He has infinite agency to do so.

My reply ....Idle speculation 

You say ..... Ithink you might be committing equivocation fallacy.

My reply .... Think you might be stumped .....again
  • @Joeseph
    >>>''What have I got to do with evil god and how he defines evil , mine not to know the mind of evil god ''
    Because whatever He considers evil, He will not do.

>>>'' If ?''
    I thought we were arguing from a Christian worldview? I don't think we really are so that's why I asked you just what is evil.

>>>''Idle speculation''
    Brush it off for all I care. I'm right, and you can't refute me.

@Orthodox_Christian

@Joeseph 
    >>>''What have I got to do with evil god and how he defines evil , mine not to know the mind of evil god ''

You say .....Because whatever He considers evil, He will not do.

My reply .... Really?

You say .....

I thought we were arguing from a Christian worldview? I don't think we really are so that's why I asked you just what is evil.

My reply .... I gave you the definition of evil according to Christianitys point of view, 

You say ....Brush it off for all I care. I'm right, and you can't refute me.

My reply ... I think you need to read again what you keep attempting to avoid I stated ......

The Evil God Challenge demands explanations for why belief in an all-powerful all-good God is significantly more reasonable than belief in an all powerful all-evil god

Your capitulation is noted , you’re too easy 
  • >>>''Really?''

Yes, because why would He do it? If it's evil, it's bad/wrong. He would only do what He considers to be right.

>>>'' I gave you the definition of evil according to Christianitys point of view, ''

Which I already presupposed when I entered the debate. But you seem to keep switching between evil as in stereotypical stuff and evil as in being contrary to God's evil, because God wouldn't be contrary to His own will.

>>>'' I think you need to read again what you keep attempting to avoid I stated ......''

What an ironic statement.

>>>''The Evil God Challenge demands explanations for why belief in an all-powerful all-good God is significantly more reasonable than belief in an all powerful all-evil god''
    1. Evil is being contrary to God's will
    2. God will do what He wills
    3. So, God will only do good.

This is why I asked you if you really are following this axiom. Because by definition then, God wouldn't be able to do evil. I expected maybe that you wanted to argue ''why doesn't God just torture all of us?''. You're confusing.
    @Orthodox_Christian

You say  ....

Yes, because why would He do it? If it's evil, it's bad/wrong. He would only do what He considers to be right.

My reply .... But god is evil , so he does what he considers evil

You say ....

Which I already presupposed when I entered the debate. But you seem to keep switching between evil as in stereotypical stuff and evil as in being contrary to God's evil, because God wouldn't be contrary to His own will.

My reply .... I’m not switching at all I’m claiming god is evil you’re claiming god is good what do you base this assumption on?

You say  ......What an ironic statement.

My reply .... Irony ,logic and simple statements seem to be beyond you 

You say ......

1. Evil is being contrary to God's will
    2. God will do what He wills
    3. So, God will only do good.

My reply ..... 1:Evil is consistent with gods will 
                         2:God will do what he wills
                         3: So , God will do only evil

You say ......This is why I asked you if you really are following this axiom. Because by definition then, God wouldn't be able to do evil. I expected maybe that you wanted to argue ''why doesn't God just torture all of us?''. You're confusing.

My reply .... Can you at least attempt to put a case as too why you think god is good? You’re confusing 
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I understand why you think so, but Jesus is without sin: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=hebrews+4:14-16&version=KJV Just tell Him how you feel and keep asking questions.
    @YeshuaBought

You've been sold a myth as in a good god , as god is throughly evil 
    @Joeseph You have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to choose my beliefs for me. I have the right to follow Jesus. Furthermore, prove that MY religion is a myth.
    @YeshuaBought ;

You say........You have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to choose my beliefs for me.

My reply .... I totally agree on both counts 

You say .....I have the right to follow Jesus.

My reply .... I agree 

You say ......Furthermore, prove that MY religion is a myth.

My reply ..... Look at all the evil in the world surely that should be enough to demonstrate that god is evil?

YeshuaBought
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph:

If you view the Christian God as non existent, then how does a non existent God garner such a question as this being asked? 

Is the Christian god evil?

@TTKDB

But I don’t believe in ghosts yet strangely I can ask ghost related questions or are such questions forbidden to ask on a debate site? 

As usual you totally fail to comprehend what is asked as in .....

The Evil God Challenge demands explanations for why belief in an all-powerful all-good God is significantly more reasonable than belief in ......an all powerful all-evil god .......

I’m making a specific claim if you have no opinion (as usual ) on the matter what is it you want? 
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph:

I don't want anything, the question is, what sort of a conclusion based on the below are you wanting? 

"The Evil God Challenge demands explanations for why belief in an all-powerful all-good God is significantly more reasonable than belief in ......an all powerful all-evil god .......

I’m making a specific claim if you have no opinion (as usual ) on the matter what is it you want?"

@TTKDB

Back to trolling I see , guess it's time to report you 
    @Joeseph Can you provide for me a YouTube video with examples. Is it the religious right you refer to? Thank you for clarifying.
  • AlecAlec 71 Pts   -  
    The bible says most people will go to hell forever in the new testament.
    Joeseph
    @YeshuaBought

Hi , what I’m basically saying is that if there is a god one can easily say that the nature of this god is evil , you do not need You Tube videos or anything but your own eyes , ears and mouth .

Go to any hospital and observe the amount of children who go through untold suffering and miseries , I worked many years ago in a cancer hospital and there were children there brought in daily suffering from dreadful forms of cancer , how does this fit in with a good god?  
    @Joeseph Are you refering to the problem of evil?
    @YeshuaBought ;

Yes , it’s a rather big problem isn’t it?