frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do We need to do experiments on human embryos?

Debate Information

We need to do experiments on embryos that are intended for abortion.
I mean, they're going to die anyway and we can learn so mach from them. Maybe we can even learn ways to improve the next generation of mankind
meleonaawmanetailove2debatebrexit
  1. Live Poll

?

11 votes
    1. Yes
      54.55%
    2. No
      45.45%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• meleonaawmeleonaaw 20 Pts   -  
    I agree with @aviv , we should do research on them. Although, there need to be rules and guidelines, because you shouldn't be doing research on live ones.
    manetaiavivbrexit
  • manetaimanetai 29 Pts   -  
    I disagree with @meleonaaw and @aviv . Embryos should be untouched even if they are intended for abortion. I am againstvabortions in the first place, so this shouldn't be occurring. I understand you Logic and thinking...
    if it will die eventually, why not do medical research.
    Again, I completely understand that though process. Although, I disagree due to my strong belief of being Pro-life.
    brexitaviv
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    If scientists are allowed to experiment with embryos it will progress our science in a radical ways and we can treat diseases saving hundreds of millions of lives.  I think the pros outweigh the cons.
    aviv
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @manetai ;If you are really pro-life then you should be in favor, they are going to die anyway so why not do experiments on them that can help us understand how to improve humans. Just think about all the possibilities: We can understand how to cure genetic diseases, we can improve our resistance to diseases of all kinds, we can even live longer.
    love2debatebrexit
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @manetai, I can completely understand your point of view as it is driven by religious/philosophical believes.  At the same time I can appreciate @aviv position that it can save lives.
    I don't think there is a right or wrong point of view on this debate, but I also think it will be difficult to convince someone to change sides on this issue, and it will likely be split.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    What gives people the right to have an abortion? You are deciding someones life, Without their consent. Now you want to test on them?
    This world is really going in the wrong direction.
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -   edited May 2017
    @Logic; They're going to die anyway, it's not your decision it's the mother's, so if they're going to die why not do experiments on them? Just think about the possibilities We can eliminate the physical disadvantages of human beings, strengthen our resistance to diseases and even adapt ourselves to life on another planet. What is the life of some embryos as opposed to the advancement of all humankind 
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    My comment was a bit off topic. I agree if they are going to die anyways, Then fine. But in the first place, Abortion is wrong.  What gives those 'mothers' [Although i wouldn't call those inhumane sub humans 'mothers']  the right  take innocent lives? The kid could have been the next einstein, Or the next hitler. But at LEAST he would have had the chance to live, But no, You took that away from him/her.  
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    My comment was a bit off topic. I agree if they are going to die anyways, Then fine. But in the first place, Abortion is wrong.  What gives those 'mothers' [Although i wouldn't call those inhumane sub humans 'mothers']  the right  take innocent lives? The kid could have been the next einstein, Or the next hitler. But at LEAST he would have had the chance to live, But no, You took that away from him/her.  
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @Logic
    Again even if they were the next Einstein I would sacrifice them for the sake of progress. Nothing is more important than the advancement of the human race
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -   edited May 2017
    So murdering innocent people, For the sake of 'progress' is more important than anything? This thread is seriously a love shack for monsters. 
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @Logic ;Would not you kill thousands to save billions in the future?
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I think that discussion between @Logic and @aviv warrants a separate debate about prolife vs pro choice.   
    As far as this particular debate, it has to assume that it is contingent on accepting prochoice position for mothers.  
    Assuming that pro choice is okay in general, I would like to better understand what process would be followed to ensure that mothers are ultimately be empowered to make such a decision without abuse.  We would need to be very careful to allow this if we were to do it in the name of science.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @aviv Do you know how many medical breakthroughs we have made, WITHOUT going to such inhumane extremes? I wouldn't.
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @Logic ;And you know how many scientific breakthroughs we can do with embryo experiments? And these breakthroughs will be bigger than any breakthroughs in the past
  • brexitbrexit 22 Pts   -  
    I agree with @aviv .
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @aviv So we give up whatever morals we have, For the sake of science? I'd rather learn pseudo-science in school, Then want to make serious breakthroughs, While at the same time losing all fragments of humanity i had left in me at that point. And what could we do with human embryos? Do enlighten me.
    spandam
  • spandamspandam 43 Pts   -  
    I agree with @logic . I understand @aviv 's point regarding saving more lives than the research cost, but those embryos shouldn't be "picked" to die.
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @Logic  What can we do? The possibilities are endless: to cure genetic diseases, to strengthen people's resistance to disease, to adapt ourselves to another planets, to eliminate our physical shortcomings as human beings, to live a longer life and more
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @spandam ;We do not "pick them to die", those who are destined for abortion will die anyway, no matter what we do, so why not experiment on them?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5966 Pts   -  
    Well, you could employ a similar logic and ask: "This old person is going to die in a few days. Why not experiment on them?" This is a dangerous line of thinking, in many ways. So I do not think that your logic is self-consistent.

However, I do think that experimenting on human embryos should be done. An aborted embryo is not any more conscious or able to have life than, say, a rock. It definitely will not suffer in the traditional sense, and nobody will miss it since it has been discarded already. So why let it go to waste, when experimenting on it is one of the most promising venues in modern medical science?

We could probably already have saved hundreds millions adults worldwide, if only we did not hesitate to perform essential experiments based on ancient traditions and beliefs and committed to science in this regard instead.