frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should schools have single sex classrooms?

Debate Information

Schools have tried making single sex classrooms and noticed the increase of test scores. Teachers are teaching boys on curriculum and girls another because the two genders have different learning factors. For example, girls learn in a more social environment and boys learn in a more competitive environment due to the differences of the two genders brains'. However, critics say that this seperation encourages a sexist and biased environment for the present and the future. What do you say?
Zombieguy1987

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• I for one think we shouldn't

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5969 Pts   -   edited November 2018
    This just reinforces "gender roles" and makes it more difficult for people to get out of the "expected" behavior/lifestyle based on their gender. I believe that all people should either have the same curriculum, or have a full choice over what curriculum to choose - and if they want to pursue the gender role stereotypes, then they should do it out of their own volition, without any help from the system.

Increase of test scores in itself does not mean too much, since tests are not the best indicator of the results of the education system. People might score better on the tests, but they will not necessarily perform better in real life situations. I think a better gauge of whether this approach is effective would be comparison of the economical performance of adults who went through this curriculum back at high school - and that will take over a decade to trace, so the results of this experiment will not be conclusive any time soon.

---

Case in point: back at my post-USSR school, we had the class called roughly "Labor class". That class was gender-based: we, men, were taught "hard" crafts, such as wood crafting - while women were taught more "homely" skills, such as cooking. In the end, I have never had to do wood crafting in my life, while lack of cooking skills had me learn cooking from scratch on my own when I started living independently. Go figure... I would be better off now had I attended the female version of that class, myself being a male.
    Zombieguy1987
  • If our school systems had the resources and time to do this then yeah, it sounds like a decent idea. I often don’t feel challenged (as in the work is hard but boring and a competitive environment seems a lot more fun). But, there are problems with this idea, again, we don’t have the resources or time to do this. You’d have to restructure the whole school system. It’s like buying a used car and then spending more money than you did on the car itself to take everything else out and replace it.
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln