frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Debate Information

This quote by Mr. Gandi still rings true today. Many Christians could not Jesus their way out of a paper bag in my humble yet angry opinion. I am still living in fear because I truely am a progressive and disagree with mainstream Christians on so many things. Take gay marriage. If you don't like it, don't marry a gay person. Life begins when babies have brainwaves, I support single payer healthcare because in my opion from what I have read in the KJV Bible, Jesus healed those who have nothing. I support racial unity which states we are all one human race. Stuff like that.
  1. Live Poll

Are Christians like their Christ?

7 votes
    1. No.
      85.71%
    2. Yes.
      14.29%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    This quote by Mr. Gandi still rings true today. Many Christians could not Jesus their way out of a paper bag in my humble yet angry opinion. I am still living in fear because I truely am a progressive and disagree with mainstream Christians on so many things. Take gay marriage. If you don't like it, don't marry a gay person. Life begins when babies have brainwaves, I support single payer healthcare because in my opion from what I have read in the KJV Bible, Jesus healed those who have nothing. I support racial unity which states we are all one human race. Stuff like that.
    I want to take back my vote, how do I do that? I meant YES, .. Christians ARE like their sun-god Jesus.

If Mr. Gandi would have studied the N.T. and the history of the Christian Religion, he would have not made such dumb, .. or let's just say: "uninformed" comment.
    The Christian sun-god Jesus is NOT the Jesus of the N.T. So in reality, yes, Christians are just like their Jesus they created.
  • @YeshuaBought
    First you say you’re liberal, then you say you’re conservative, then you say you’re gay, then you say you’re liberal again. Choose one or the other. And, though many stride to be, I don’t see the Christians around me act like Jesus. They are either normal people leading normal lives, or they are like Jehovahs Witnesses except Christian.
    Zombieguy1987
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    If Jesus was alive today he would be the biggest hippie communist
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5966 Pts   -  
    Teachings of Christ were different from the mainstream Christianity, but they had the same totalitarian core: fawning before a large centralised entity. From our historical knowledge, Jesus worshipped the "god" just as much as Christians nowadays do, believing the "word of god" to be the supreme law, and putting the individual second to the abstract rule set bestowed by the deity. 

It is not very different from people in Soviet Union who worshipped Stalin. The Jesus' god may be less bloody than Stalin, but he is still an unbound dictator. And a fictional one at that, so, unlike Stalin, the god never dies, the god cannot be fought, the god cannot be proven wrong via a logical argument.

I would say that every monotheistic religion, no matter what it is about, has totalitarianism of mind and body, and often that of the society and the government, as a necessary consequence. Separation of church from state in this regard was an ingenious decision by the Founding Fathers, as, even as the society as a whole was drowning in religious fundamentalism, it did not manifest in the law very significantly, and it left those few who did not believe in the "god" alone.

Polytheistic religions of the Ancient Greece and Rome were much more harmless in this regard, as multiple gods played the same role in church as the three separated powers do nowadays in the government. The gods competed with each other, and worshipping just one god exclusively was offset by the necessity to appease all gods in order to avoid an ill fate. It is still pretty totalitarian, but it is a relatively harmless form of totalitarianism.

If one truly wants to follow a philosophical framework based on the ideas of liberty and freedom, as Gandhi advocated, then one would have to look into more logic-based frameworks, such as the philosophies of the giants such as Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus or Diogenes of Sinope - people who, while not necessarily dismissing the concept of gods, had the emphasis on objective cognitive processes, rather than on ritualistic directives with lack of evidence in their support.
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

Gandhi was shot and killed by one of his fellow Hindus. I guess they liked Vishnu but not Gandhi. Had he been more like their God, maybe he wouldn't have gotten shot.

Gandhi has no moral standing to make such a comment.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought I agree with you, though I am not a Christian. One reason I am not is that so many "Christians" are less Christian than I am! I voted a yes on the "Are Christians like their Christ". REAL Christians are, but the numbers of them are a minority in their own religion. Especially Evangelicals that close their lying eyes to Trumps indiscretions after saying B. Clinton was not fit to be President! In comparison, BC was a pillar of the community! How they can take health care away from those that can't afford it (un-Jesus-like) because they do a few, mostly necessary, abortions (without the help of tax money), is again "u-J-l". That makes our VP about as NON-Christian as that Christian majority. IMO.
    CYDdharta
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    @AmericanFurryBoy Why is it necessary to "choose one or the other"?? It USED to be possible to "like" some things conservative while being a liberal. It still IS!
    I am that way, though it will be a LONG time before I vote conservative again. It will be a LONG time before, (if ever), they get back to being the GOP after being Trumped.
    In like manner, it will be a long time before, (if ever), the Evangelical community gains the respect of real Christians.
    Again, IMO.
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    AlofRI said:
    @AmericanFurryBoy Why is it necessary to "choose one or the other"?? It USED to be possible to "like" some things conservative while being a liberal. It still IS!
    I am that way, though it will be a LONG time before I vote conservative again. It will be a LONG time before, (if ever), they get back to being the GOP after being Trumped.
    In like manner, it will be a long time before, (if ever), the Evangelical community gains the respect of real Christians.
    Again, IMO.
    @AlofRI "real Christians", .. as in Roman Catholic, .. right?