frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Being an athiest doesn't mean they lack morality

Debate Information

This is another argument religious people use to sound smarter. Claiming that atheists lack morality and that somehow justifies religion being ok...

Despite the Bible, the Qur'an and other religious books support immoral things like violence, racism, slavery etc.

Seems a bit hypocritical religious people  
AlofRIJackNewtonVincent_CostanzoPlaffelvohfenGeorge_HorseHunterJuneau

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -   edited December 2018
    Being religious doesn't necessarily mean you have morals either. Plenty of pedophile priests out there.
    Zombieguy1987EvidenceSilverishGoldNovaPolaris95VirtuosoJackNewtonPlaffelvohfenHunterJuneau
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    Being religious doesn't necessarily mean you have morals either. Plenty of pedophile priests out there.
    @WordsMatter ; So true.
    There is a huge difference between being religious, .. like about the teachings of the Bible/Christ, and following the doctrines of a specific Religion.
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    Does an atheist utilize the same morality that a religious parent or parents utilize? 

Does an atheist offender utilize the same morality that an atheist citizen does? 
    Zombieguy1987Polaris95HunterJuneau
    TTKDB said:
    Does an atheist utilize the same morality that a religious parent or parents utilize? 

Does an atheist offender utilize the same morality that an atheist citizen does? 
    @TTKDB well, some religions punish and shame and even stone the girl who was raped, .. so hope not!?
    Sorry, but I don't understand your second question?
    Zombieguy1987AlofRI
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Evidence

"well, some religions punish and shame and even stone the girl who was raped, .. so hope not!?"

Where is your news media outlet story, that supports your above point of view? 

"Sorry, but I don't understand your second question?"

Does an atheist offender utilize the same morality that an atheist citizen does? (It's a self explanatory question based on morality in general )

Aren't there atheists who are in jail or have been in jail? 

TTKDB said:
    @Evidence

"well, some religions punish and shame and even stone the girl who was raped, .. so hope not!?"

Where is your news media outlet story, that supports your above point of view? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/11/opinion/in-afghanistan-women-betrayed.html

I'm still looking for the News article of the real horrible one I was thinking of.

TTKDB said:
    @Evidence ;

"Sorry, but I don't understand your second question?"

Does an atheist offender utilize the same morality that an atheist citizen does? (It's a self explanatory question based on morality in general )

Aren't there atheists who are in jail or have been in jail? 

This can refer to religious people too, .. is that what you're saying? Like making the connection that both atheists and religious people are the same? I'm still not sure I understand, .. sorry?
    AlofRI
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Evidence

Hey religious parents look out, the atheists are better parents than you are?

Why don't you send your kids to an atheists household, and let them raise your kids because the religious parents morality code isn't good enough for them?

@Evidence, do you feel better now? 

Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNovaAlofRIPolaris95
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    EvidencePolaris95Zombieguy1987
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    TTKDB said:
    @Evidence

Hey religious parents look out, the atheists are better parents than you are?

Why don't you send your kids to an atheists household, and let them raise your kids because the religious parents morality code isn't good enough for them?

@Evidence, do you feel better now? 

and... Off topic AGAIN
    SilverishGoldNovaOppolzerPolaris95
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

"Being an athiest doesn't mean they lack morality"

So apparently there are some Atheists who aren't lacking in  morality, and you created this forum as a question vehicle to do what?
    Zombieguy1987Polaris95
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987

So apparently there are some Atheists who aren't lacking in  morality, and you created this forum as a question vehicle to do what?
    Point out religious people's hypocrisy and their idiotic logic
    Evidence
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

From what book of literature, did you get this from?

"This is another argument religious people use to sound smarter. Claiming that atheists lack morality and that somehow justifies religion being ok". 

Zombieguy1987
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987

From what book of literature, did you get this from?

"This is another argument religious people use to sound smarter. Claiming that atheists lack morality and that somehow justifies religion being ok". 

Gee...

I don't know...

The Bible, the Qur'an and other religious books
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    Zombieguy1987
  • OppolzerOppolzer 191 Pts   -  
    True morality and ethics come from human reasoning. An objective source of morality makes it plausible for true morality to exist.

Different religions have different morals and ethics, and all of them provide outdated morals/ethics from ancient time. It's the 21st century. The world has evolved dramatically concerning morals/ethics since then. Most moral teachings from different religions are now considered wrong. Examples would be the idea in killing someone if it’s in the name of religion, the superiority of men over women, the sinfulness of homosexuals, etc.

Some religious people get their morals and ethics from others. They do certain things because they were told to by some book, a preacher, etc. These people that are easily misguided are susceptible to perform highly immoral acts. Religion is vulnerable to being abused in this specific way. Now, regarding atheists, they may behave morally and ethically in which they thought about it, and conclude that it’s right. Although, not all preachers or people who teach religion accept this moral code presented in atheists. Therefore, they promote this and thus, their followers of the faith don’t understand how atheists can be moral.

Note: I’m not expressing this in a way that means all religious people believe that atheists lack morality, this argument is for the people who genuinely think that’s the case.
    Zombieguy1987Plaffelvohfen
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Oppolzer

@Zombieguy1987

Morals start with who teaches an individual their morals.

If an individual has some parents who gives a care about them, verses, some parents who don't have any issue with a kid basically raising themselves?

What kind of morals from within themselves, let a parent or parents allow their kids to raise themselves? 

There are parents who are offenders or are drug users who do drugs around their kids, or teach their kids how to emulate their offender behaviors!

What kind of morals from within themselves, have a parent or parents, teach or raise their kids around their criminal activity, or drug user activity?

If a parent or parents who give a care and want their kids to be the best to and for themselves, to bet those parents regardless it being religious or aren't religious, are going to have kids with good moral upbringings?
    Zombieguy1987

People don’t need to be taught morals to possess them.

Morals are learned, but one doesn’t have to be taught morals for it to be determined. Morality is dependent on various constituents such as the environment, life experiences, etc. It encompasses many elements and can’t merely be distinguished to “morality has to be taught for one to have morals.” Morals are a development within the person and won’t merely be “this set of morals in which you always have to abide by.” Also, most people learn pivotal lessons much later in life based on empirical knowledge. Certain morals can’t be taught for one to learn it since it is discovered by life experience. Experience and growth are significant components of morality. 

The way you interpret and perceive the world will have a direct effect on your beliefs and how you live.
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Oppolzer

@Zombieguy1987

Are the two of you better human beings, then the rest of the public/ society is because they aren't atheists or anti religious like some of the other human beings around them? 

They way the two of you present your dialogue, gives the public plenty to help how the two of you atheists are interpreted and perceived.

Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    Zombieguy1987

Why are you asking something unrelated that has nothing to do with our previous arguments about morality? We’re displaying our opinions on morality, and instead of responding logically and directly to the argument, you state that “because we’re atheists, we think we’re better.”

Everyone has the right to the freedom of speech. Therefore, when you attack @Zombieguy1987 and me into stating we’re self-righteous because of our disbelief in a God, it shows how you’re unwilling to hear a different perspective of our views on morals.
    Zombieguy1987AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Oppolzer

"Everyone has the right to the freedom of speech. Therefore, when you attack @Zombieguy1987 and me into stating we’re self-righteous because of our disbelief in a God, it shows how you’re unwilling to hear a different perspective of our views on morals."

Do you agree with Richard Dawkins, do you support his points of view? 

Did God destroy the Twin Towers? 

If you change your mind and become indoctrinationed by the Atheists perspectives, you're less likely to go to jail, because there are less atheists who are in jail, verses the religious individuals who are in jail, right? 

Are the religious individuals delusional for believing in God?

And the Atheists aren't delusional, because they don't believe in God? 

And the religious individuals are delusional because some of the atheists say so? 

I'm not unwilling to hear different perspectives, the above are some of the atheists points of view that some of the atheists have educated me on, via their freedom of speech teachings. 
    Zombieguy1987
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

Christianity does NOT say atheists lack morals. It says the morality of atheists lack authority. That is a different argument. The morality of an atheist is simply his personal tastes.

As such, there is no reason why anyone other than that atheist should be obligated to follow that moral code. The morality of a Christian though, is objective, and applies to everyone, regardless of what anyone thinks of it.
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @ethang5

Which website were you on before? 

Gasbuddy.com? 

Or debate.org? 

I've been your name before. 
    Zombieguy1987
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    I also have accounts at DDO and DArt.
    @TTKDB

Then can you tell me what you found wrong with my argument instead of disrespecting me and @Zombieguy1987 ?

You may have interpreted my arguments as something different as what I was intending. I'm aware that not every religious person possesses morals from the bible, a preacher, religious author, etc. I even stated that at the end of my previous arguments.
    Zombieguy1987
    TTKDB said:
    @Oppolzer

"Everyone has the right to the freedom of speech. Therefore, when you attack @Zombieguy1987 and me into stating we’re self-righteous because of our disbelief in a God, it shows how you’re unwilling to hear a different perspective of our views on morals."

Do you agree with Richard Dawkins, do you support his points of view? 

Of course i support his point of view. Religion is a brainwashing tactic to control people 

Did God destroy the Twin Towers? 

No, but he's suppose to be all powerful, all knowing etc. So, he should've been aware that 9/11 was going to happen, and intervene and stop it from happening

If you change your mind and become indoctrinationed by the Atheists perspectives, you're less likely to go to jail, because there are less atheists who are in jail, verses the religious individuals who are in jail, right? 

That's people Atheists realize that when they die, they don't go to heaven. They just die... So they make use of their life here on earth.

Are the religious individuals delusional for believing in God?

Yeah...

And the Atheists aren't delusional, because they don't believe in God? 

Yeah...

And the religious individuals are delusional because some of the atheists say so? 

NO, they're delusional because believe in a magic sky man/woman because they are that he/she is real from a 2,000 year old book. And to add in some salt in the wound. Religious people will ignore the fact their book supports rape, slavery, murder against people of other religion and non-believers, war, genocide etc. Yet call atheists as the violent ones...

I'm not unwilling to hear different perspectives, the above are some of the atheists points of view that some of the atheists have educated me on, via their freedom of speech teachings. 

No, they're your tatic to avoid listening to @Oppolzer and my arguments in this debate, because you want to be in an eco-chamber

OppolzerPlaffelvohfen
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -   edited December 2018
    @Zombieguy1987

Then why don't you hold a press conference and tell the religious parents and kids, and the religious organizations across the country how you feel? 

Why confine your anti religious protesting to the various website's on the internet? 

Why shy away from the news media outlets and their cameras? 

You could, reach out to Mr. Richard Dawkins as well, and have him join you in your protest? 
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @ethang5

Christian morality does not apply to everyone, it only applies to Christians. Obviously you would need to reference the bible to attempt to prove the OBJECTIVE truth that Christian morality applies to all. If somebody rejects the "teachings" of the bible, how can the morality espoused in it apply to them? Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine!
    Zombieguy1987
    @TTKDB

Why do you keep asking immaterial questions?

There are several reasons someone would preferably say something via internet:

It’s safer. It makes it easier for someone to express themselves than the face to face conversation. By writing certain things on the internet, you easily bypass being interrupted, the subjects changing, and possibly misrepresenting yourself. In real life, you’re susceptible to saying something that can be misinterpreted, and not what you intended to mean. Also, people on the internet can remain anonymous. Things like your identity, age, race, gender, etc., are kept hidden and won’t be plausibly discriminated against if they are revealed.

Another point is that you’re not circled by family, friends, or in general, people that know your identity in real life. You no longer have to abide by your persona perceived by other people in real life, and the expectations that follow. On the internet, you can be whomever you like. This allows you to be who you are in real life, or the person you wish to be.
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Oppolzer

Your opinion, is yours, and you're welcome to it. 
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

You can view a point of view as irrelevant as you wish to.

You're opinion, is yours, and you're welcome to it. 
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -   edited December 2018
    @TTKDB

How does Christianity solve these moral dilemmas that all good Christians (however you want to define that) or the majority of Christian, or even just the most devout Christians will all respond in the same way? What are your answeres to these and how did you come to that conclusion? How do you think an atheist would respond?

1. You are an inmate in a concentration camp. A sadistic guard is about to hang your son who tried to escape and wants you to pull the chair from underneath him. He says that if you don’t he will not only kill your son but some other innocent inmate as well. You don’t have any doubt that he means what he says. What should you do?

2. A pregnant woman leading a group of people out of a cave on a coast is stuck in the mouth of that cave. In a short time high tide will be upon them, and unless she is unstuck, they will all be drowned except the woman, whose head is out of the cave. Fortunately, (or unfortunately,) someone has with him a stick of dynamite. There seems no way to get the pregnant woman loose without using the dynamite which will inevitably kill her; but if they do not use it everyone will drown. What should they do?

3. A madman who has threatened to explode several bombs in crowded areas has been apprehended. Unfortunately, he has already planted the bombs and they are scheduled to go off in a short time. It is possible that hundreds of people may die. The authorities cannot make him divulge the location of the bombs by conventional methods. He refuses to say anything and requests a lawyer to protect his fifth amendment right against self-incrimination. In exasperation, some high level official suggests torture. This would be illegal, of course, but the official thinks that it is nevertheless the right thing to do in this desperate situation. Do you agree? If you do, would it also be morally justifiable to torture the mad bomber’s innocent wife if that is the only way to make him talk? Why?

4.On 7 January 2015 Corrine Rey, a cartoonist at the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, and known by the name "Coco," returned from picking up her daughter from kindergarten. She was confronted by two French Jihadistgunmen, who treatened to shoot her daughter unless she keyed in the entry code at the door for the magazine. She did; and the gunmen entered to murder twelve people, including two policemen outside, as well as shooting eleven others. During the attack, the shooters said that they would not kill women, but that they needed to convert to Islam and wear a veil.

Should Corrine Rey have been willing to sacrifice her daughter and herself rather than allow obvious murderers to enter the magazine and possibly kill everyone? Can a mother be blamed for only thinking of protecting her child?

And finally one by Dostoevsky written within the context of existentialism and atheism.

5."Tell me yourself -- I challenge you: let's assume that you were called upon to build the edifice of human destiny so that men would finally be happy and would find peace and tranquility. If you knew that, in order to attain this, you would have to torture just one single creature, let's say the little girl who beat her chest so desperately in the outhouse, and that on her unavenged tears you could build that edifice, would you agree to do it? Tell me and don't lie!"

Zombieguy1987OppolzerPlaffelvohfen
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -   edited December 2018
    Merry Christmas 
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Oppolzer

Again, your opinion is yours, and you are welcome to it.
    Zombieguy1987
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @WordsMatter

Again, your opinion is yours, and you are welcome to it.
    Zombieguy1987
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @TTKDB opinion? I just asked what your answeres would be to 5 moral dilemma questions and asked you to show where religion would cause different answers or logic given by atheists.
  • This is another argument religious people use to sound smarter. Claiming that atheists lack morality and that somehow justifies religion being ok...

Despite the Bible, the Qur'an and other religious books support immoral things like violence, racism, slavery etc.

And the fact that the Abrahamic gods all created endless torture pits for those who don't love them like their babies.

Seems a bit hypocritical religious people  

I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited December 2018

I'd imagine this is familiar for Zombieguy 
    Zombieguy1987EvidenceJackNewtonPlaffelvohfen
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @SilverishGoldNova

You're just as educational with your atheist points of view. 
    Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNovaEvidence
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -   edited December 2018
    @piloteer

If we remain logical rather than emotional, it will be easy to show.

-Christian morality does not apply to everyone, it only applies to Christians.

I agree. But I said nothing about Christian morality. I spoke of objective morality. And objective morality applies to everyone.

-Obviously you would need to reference the bible to attempt to prove the OBJECTIVE truth that Christian morality applies to all.

If I was trying to prove that Christian morality applied to all, maybe. But that is off topic. I am saying that objective morality applies to all.

-If somebody rejects the "teachings" of the bible, how can the morality espoused in it apply to them?

"Applies to" does not mean, "they accept it". It means it is authoritative, just as the law " applies" to you whether you accept it or not.

-Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine!

Which is exactly why objective morality applies to you, and you will be held accountable to its code whether you "accept" it or not.
    Zombieguy1987Evidence
  • Let's never forget how great the bible is for women:

Deuteronomy 22:20-21 ~ If a woman has sex before marriage, she must be killed in front of her father by having stones thrown at her.'
    Deuteronomy 22:28-29 ~ If a woman is raped, she must marry her rapist.
    Leviticus 19:20-22 ~ If a female slave is raped, she must be punished.

Zombieguy1987Evidence

TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987

Point out religious people's hypocrisy and their idiotic logic

Woe there @Zombieguy1987, now you included all atheists, all Religions, all so called science organizations like NASA, CERN, and all Truthers and Followers of The Way, .. everyone.

I no longer belong to any Religion, but my heart, soul and mind belongs to Jesus Christ and the words that comes from his Father, our Father, his God and our God, and until you can show this "idiotic logic" of Christ (not the RCC created Religion they call Christian, because I would agree with you ) .. you should be more careful in your choice of words.

For instance someone can be religious about science, going to the gym or stamp collecting, .. but where did you see a "Church of Stamp Collecting", .. you know what I mean? Wait, there is a religion and a church of Scientology, but like NASA and CERN, and much of Atheism, they are Organized Religions built on as you said: "hypocrisy and their idiotic logic".

So it's true, "Being an atheist doesn't mean they lack morality", I had an atheist friend who was 90% more of a Godly man then 90% of those claiming to follow Biblical approved Godly morality.
    Zombieguy1987AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
    Let's never forget how great the bible is for women:

Deuteronomy 22:20-21 ~ If a woman has sex before marriage, she must be killed in front of her father by having stones thrown at her.'
    Deuteronomy 22:28-29 ~ If a woman is raped, she must marry her rapist.
    Leviticus 19:20-22 ~ If a female slave is raped, she must be punished.

Hello my old friend @SilverishGoldNova, hope and pray all is well with your and yours.
    Like the science behind Flat Earth reality, you don't fully understand the Bible either. Now let's read again what you quoted, .. like

Leviticus 19:20 - 22
    20 ‘Whoever lies carnally with a woman who is betrothed to a man as a concubine, and who has not at all been redeemed nor given her freedom, for this there shall be scourging; but they shall not be put to death, because she was not free. 21 And he shall bring his trespass offering to the Lord, to the door of the tabernacle of meeting, a ram as a trespass offering. 22 The priest shall make atonement for him with the ram of the trespass offering before the Lord for his sin which he has committed. And the sin which he has committed shall be forgiven him.

You see, her slavery saved him from being stoned to death. After scourging him, the priest shall make atonement for him with the ram of the trespass offering before the Lord for his sin which he has committed. And the sin which he has committed shall be forgiven him.
    SilverishGoldNovaZombieguy1987

I'd imagine this is familiar for Zombieguy 

@SilverishGoldNova .. that "robot programming" example is truly pitiful, .. and based on pure ignorance. Did you make that up, or you found it in the web?
    Yes, ALL sin is deserving of death, starting with bringing a human life into this world, not just the '1,000 more kill orders'.
    In other words, all our "good deeds" are like filthy rags before Holy and Righteous God, .. without Christ that is.
    Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNova
  • @Evidence How does one be anti-religion and Christian at the same time? 
    Zombieguy1987

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987 There are many religions in the world, with different moralities. I would NOT want Islamic moralities in the U.S.! Then again, SOME may not be bad … or different to what we go by. 
    I do not want all Christian moralities, as mentioned in the Bible EITHER! That's why the Constitution allows society to make our morals … "with no laws respecting religion". MOST religious morality follows common sense, which is what society follows when they accept morality, NOT a religious mantra. That's the way it should be. As society grows and learns, common sense sometimes changes, morality should change with it, NOT follow an ancient morality that no longer makes sense.
    Zombieguy1987Evidence
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    AlofRI said:
    @Zombieguy1987 There are many religions in the world, with different moralities. I would NOT want Islamic moralities in the U.S.! Then again, SOME may not be bad … or different to what we go by. 
    I do not want all Christian moralities, as mentioned in the Bible EITHER! That's why the Constitution allows society to make our morals … "with no laws respecting religion". MOST religious morality follows common sense, which is what society follows when they accept morality, NOT a religious mantra. That's the way it should be. As society grows and learns, common sense sometimes changes, morality should change with it, NOT follow an ancient morality that no longer makes sense.

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right."
    SilverishGoldNovaZombieguy1987
    @Evidence How does one be anti-religion and Christian at the same time? 
    I left Religion, and now religiously follow the Way, the Truth and the Life, .. aka Jesus Christ.

Joining an Organized Religion, you have to accept heir man-made doctrine, along with their man-made gods. Like,to be a Christian, you MUST accept the Trinity gods, or the "three-in-one" gods who according to the Bible is none other than the demon named "Legion".

So since I would no longer accept the Christian gods, they excommunicated me. So what does that tell us? It tells us that Religion (not being religious, but Organized Religion) cannot tolerate our Infinite and Eternal Creator "I Am" revealed to us in the Bible, but like all Organized Religions, push their own gods on people.

God bless you @SilverishGoldNova
    Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNova
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @ethang5

" The morality of a Christian though, is objective, and applies to everyone, regardless of what anyone thinks of it."
    This looks like a claim that Christian morality applies to everyone. But if that's not what you're saying, then I'll just move on. (But it really sounds like that's what you're saying)!!!

I get the feeling that you're trying to argue that the moral code that you live by is the Christian code of morality. Oh, and looky looky, it just so happens that the moral code YOU live by is the only true code for all humanity because it's the only one that is founded in authority. Lets take a closer look at that opinion, shall we? If a Christian were to consider someone to be immoral, would they not consider that person to be living a life of sin?

James 2:10, "For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of it all.

Romans 3:10 as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—

Does not the bible tell us that we are all born of, and will die from sin? If we are all sinners, how can we ever expect God to welcome us into the kingdom of heaven? By embracing Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior. God's authority is in his plan, not in how we choose to live our lives, because no matter how we choose to live our lives, it will be a life of sin. God wants us to be free, he wants us to be free to sin, he wants us to be free to atone for our sin. If we aren't free to sin, we aren't free to atone for our sins. I'm not saying the bible says that God is not an authority, but God chose not to impede on our choice to live our lives how we feel fit. God gave every person the free will to choose to either follow the word of God (however they may interpret his word), or to not follow his word. That is NOT an authority, it's a hands off approach. You are not able to make an OBJECTIVE argument for morality based on this. Of course you could easily claim that I have misinterpreted God's words, but unfortunately for you, that's just further proof of the subjective nature of morality, because there are Christians who would agree with me. That means it's based on a point of view, not objective fact! If your moral code is based on an interpretation, it is subjective. Relative. Based on an opinion. NOT objective.

If morality were truly objective, we would live by the same moral standards across all borders, and throughout all time. Obviously this isn't the case. You and I could live by the United States constitution and never break the law, but still we could live by vastly different moral codes that  conflict with each other, but still could live within the confines of the law. Morality is relative, and not an authority. The law is an authority. 
    Evidence
    AlofRI said:
    AlofRI said:

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right."
    @AlofRI That's why you should not allow Religion to dictate your morality, but religiously seek the best source for your morality, which hands down is the Bible.

Besides, if "Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told"  then where do you get your morality, or make up your decision on what is right or wrong other than what you been told/taught?? Doesn't make any sense? Sounds like a rebellious statement.
    piloteer