frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should the electoral college be abolished?

Debate Information

I Don't think it should be abolished since it gives an equal representation to the states, compared to the popular vote where most of the representation is from New York, Florida, California, Texas and Massachusetts. Which isn't really good for democracy  
ApplesauceHunterJuneau
  1. Live Poll

Should the electoral college be abolished?

8 votes
    1. Yes
      25.00%
    2. No
      75.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    Reform it don't abolish it. Instead of winner take all in a state, the votes should be split along the same percentages as how the population of the state voted. If it was entirely abolished you could end up with Kim Kardashian getting elected president and there would be no safe guard from that.
    Zombieguy1987General_SmileyHunterJuneau
  • The Electoral College ensures that we don’t have people like Kanye West as president. It separates fans from supporters
    Zombieguy1987
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • Instead of Abolishment of the Electoral college, it just needs reform. It can and has worked effectively in the past it just needs to be changed to better fit today's number and culture.
    Zombieguy1987
    @AmericanFurryBoy I love that you went with Kanye and I went with Kim. Just says we should keep that whole family out of the White House.
    Zombieguy1987HunterJuneau
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    It seems to me that the Electoral College was once necessary due to earlier limited communications. Today, (or in the near future), it seems voting could be done almost instantly. We could become a true democracy where every vote counts and we could TRULY have "government by the people". Lobbyists would be useless, political monies would be useless. Voter intimidation and fraud would be wiped out. We're not quite there, but, a TRUE democracy would really be nice. 
    Regardless, the "college" has been Gerrymandered into a form of voter fraud by the politicians, and mostly by the party that professes to be AGAINST voter fraud, so it MUST GO!
    @AlofRI yeah I'd rather not live in a true democracy where you have tyranny of the majority.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  

:grey_question:

Just to clear things up, what is your position?

I Don't think it should be abolished since it gives an equal representation to the states,
    But, anyway, I am opposed to the Electoral College