frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Could robots/technology ever go too far?

Debate Information

In your opinion, where does the line draw in terms of how advanced technology could get 
billpassedWhyTrumpbrexitrandalSnakesOfferingApples
  1. Live Poll

?

13 votes
    1. Yes
      69.23%
    2. No
      30.77%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    Robotic technologies can go very far and are now as well. I believe in the future many things will be suromated by robots and humans would have a different set of jobs. Factory jobs and simialar things would probably be comepeltely taken over by these robots.
    agsrWhyTrump
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @billpassed, agreed. In the next 30-50 years cognitive computing, ai, robotic autiomation, and genetic engineering will converge to a point where technology will augment human life to a point where enormous ethical issues will arise that may question our very humanity.

WhyTrump
    Live Long and Prosper
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @agsr, agreed. It already gone too far. Mobile devices now dominate our lifes. Just wait until they get implanted in our brains like Borg in StarTrek. 
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    I think that robots or technology could always go too far because a poor experiment could result in the robots taking over the world!!!! (This is meant to be a joke but I still think that robots/technology could go to far either way. 
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    Terminator, StarTrek, are nice Hollywood examples.
    But as technology evolves, we are at high risk of it crossing the line in our lifetime.  We need to promote progress and at the same time have boundaries in place
  • CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
    It will get too far for many to get comfortable. I agree with @islander507
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    I think we are fine as we are. And yes, I'm one of those nut-jobs that believe robots might takeover the world.  
    brexit
  • brexitbrexit 22 Pts   -  
    Robots have a strict set of code, they can't do something that they are not asked to do and for this reason I disagree with @logic .
    Logic
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @brexit I'm mainly talking about AI, Which can be given data from off the internet. That is dangerous. 
    randal
  • randalrandal 67 Pts   -  
    AI isn't too dangerous now, but could grow to be.
    Logic
  • Fr3akFr3ak 31 Pts   -  
    They already have the ability to learn, and are taking over jobs because of it. They are far cheaper than humans, and they can learn and reproduce themselves.  At this rate, they will be too clever for us to handle fairly soon if we're not careful.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @Fr3ak, that is a real danger ahead of us.  We will reach an inflection point where machines will outperform numans in many ways.  Since machines are always improving, once inflection point is achieved it will progress way beyond that.
    Fr3ak
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • Fr3akFr3ak 31 Pts   -  
    @Fr3ak

That is one thing I am worried about, but the main concern I have is that there are AI out there capable of learning. And if something can learn, well you already have the issue of 'is it alive' which is always a fun topic, but also the fact that they can eventually learn to, for lack of better phrasing, take over.