frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Will Mexico Pay For The Wall?

Debate Information

Maybe.
adebateronDI_1

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I will be impressed if Trump gets them to pay for it. But i dont see how at this time.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Election campaign promises are a dime a dozen.  However I wouldn't join the bandwagon of disbelief just yet.  There's a consideration to be made here and that is that Mexico depends HUGELY upon the United States...it wouldn't be very hard to: 1. Cut the amount of resources and support we give to Mexico until the financial value of the wall is made up.  2. Increase the taxes on all trade with Mexico from the U.S. until the difference is achieved.  3.  Cut off all trade and slap a trade embargo on Mexico until they pay for the wall.

Either way, if we really wanted mexico to pay for the wall...it wouldn't be hard.  Just like if we wanted something from China...we could halt Walmart's business with them and starve their entire country in a week.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• Vaulk said:
    Election campaign promises are a dime a dozen.  However I wouldn't join the bandwagon of disbelief just yet.  There's a consideration to be made here and that is that Mexico depends HUGELY upon the United States...it wouldn't be very hard to: 1. Cut the amount of resources and support we give to Mexico until the financial value of the wall is made up.  2. Increase the taxes on all trade with Mexico from the U.S. until the difference is achieved.  3.  Cut off all trade and slap a trade embargo on Mexico until they pay for the wall.

Either way, if we really wanted mexico to pay for the wall...it wouldn't be hard.  Just like if we wanted something from China...we could halt Walmart's business with them and starve their entire country in a week.

Wow, that's a great point by @Vaulk

I agree with the methods he listed...
    Especially cutting funding towards Mexico.
    another great method is a temporary ban on Mexican trade which I believe Trump may be open too.

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Given Trump's proposal of import tax, I can also now see how Mexico can indirectly pay for the wall.  
    Live Long and Prosper
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Yes, @agsr, made an outstanding point. Import tax could enable this.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Given that the wall project is moving forward, what is the latest story how Mexico is paying for it? 
    adebateronDI_1
    Live Long and Prosper
  • adebateronDI_1adebateronDI_1 17 Pts   -  
    Yes, they will be reimbursing the Us according to Trump.
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    @adebateronDI_1, how will they reimburse us and when?
    brexit
  • brexitbrexit 22 Pts   -  
    They will reimburse when Trumps has sis be the amount Trump says to give.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    It will be a waste of US tax payers dollars and I see no evidence that we will get reimbursed but mexico
    kmelkevolution17
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • kmelkevolution17kmelkevolution17 95 Pts   -  
    They will through a reimursement like trump said.
    @kmelkevolution17, how do you envision that reimbursement actually taking place? After the wall is build, during?  How much?
    After it's done, the leverage Trump has to demand payment is also less
  • SaltyDogSaltyDog 21 Pts   -  
    Mexico might not have to. there is a proposed bill that would use Pablo Escobar's drug money to pay for it
    Plequ
  • PlequPlequ 3 Pts   -  
    I believe that drug dealers coming from Mexico and groups including gangs from Mexico, oh, also rapists etc. should be paying from it and all from Mexico.
  • model67model67 54 Pts   -  
    I think there are too many business interests at play to support the measures proposed by @Vaulk.  Also, Mexico has options to fight these measures.  Assume all measures proposed by @Vaulk are implemented and in retaliation and to make up for losses Mexico legalizes cocaine and marijuana and allows drug dealers to pay taxes and integrate their fortunes into the economy.  This would create a drug market with a higher incentive to bring drugs to USA since drug dealers will be operating from a safe heaven. It may even bring down drug related crimes in Mexico.  Our dependency on illegal drugs is a catalyst for some of the crime and immigration issues we have in this country.  Building a wall in 2017 is a very expensive symbol that would have worked much better in 1980.  If the wall is built, tax payers will pay for it.
    @model67, it is too far or a stretch for Mexico to legalize drugs just in to retailiate against the US.  They would completely screw up their own country first.  That said, nice argument.  I think that Trump's dream of Mexico paying for the wall is unreal.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited May 2017
    @model,

I'm in agreement with @WhyTrump , Mexico wouldn't go that far and to be frank...it's not like Mexican authorities have any say so on what Drug Dealers/Producers do in Mexico.  To suggest that Mexico as a Country could have a say so in what Dealers and Suppliers do with drugs in Mexico...I'm afraid that bird won't fly.  Druglords and other ranking officials in the Cartels in Mexico have made it abundantly clear that they will not bend to any angle for Mexican authorities.  Mexico only began it's war on drugs in 2006 and for decades before that there was absolutely no opposition to the cartels...they have a LONG way to go before ANYONE in Mexico can say that the drug problem can be controlled.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/17/massacres-drugs-and-money-mexico-s-disastrous-drug-war-decade

http://www.voanews.com/a/mexican-mayor-killing-warning-by-drug-gang-governor-says/3131457.html

"If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".