frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why is organ donation not a law?

Debate Information

Think about it, make organ donation a law will save lives of so many people. There are a lot of people who are waiting for organ transplants to save their lives or to eliminate a disability and such a law can really help them
frechelectislander507manetai

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I don't think it should be an actual law, and everyone should still have control over that decision.  It may have a lot to do with personal believes and religion.  
    However, we should encourage more people to become organ donors.  Some European countries were able to drastically increase participation rate by making that a default option, still giving people an opportunity to opt out.  
    We should consider that approach 
    inc4t
    Live Long and Prosper
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    organ donations is such a person thing that forcing people to donate is too Big Brother.  I agree with agsr recommendation to encourage, but not force.
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @agsr ;So there will be a religious clause in the law, believe me we still would have five times more organ donors than what we have now
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @inc4t it's save lives, what does it matter if it by force or not? You are already dead
    SaltyDog
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    @aviv, that is not the point.  Person should be given a choice whether some random person will get his/her body parts or not.  How is that different than giving people a choice for being burried or cremated?
    again, I agree to encourage , but that cannot be part of the government decision.
    SaltyDog
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -   edited May 2017
    @inc4t ;You have to do it by force because people are indifferent. If you make it a law, most people will not do anything with it and anyone who does not want to comply with the law should go to a court to give a brief explanation of why and he is out
    frechelect
  • frechelectfrechelect 9 Pts   -  
    I agree with @aviv , if it can save someone's life it should be done.
    aviv
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    @aviv, whats wrong with starting to make that the default option like AGSR suggested, and see if we can get similar success as some other European countries? I would try that first.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I was referring to research in the book Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel kahneman.  

He won Noble orize for this book.

In his book, Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman highlights the importance of framing in terms of shaping our decisions; the way we are asked can have a very large influence on what we do, and this in turn can be very influential as regards the well being of society1. As regards organ donation, he cites research showing that the rate is very much higher if the citizenry are assumed to have agreed to donate unless they opt out, compared with those jurisdictions where one has to opt in to qualify as a donor. In Austria and Sweden, where you have to opt out, the rate of donation is respectively 100% in Austria and 86% in Sweden. This compares with 12% in Germany and 4% in Denmark, where you have to opt in.  In a letter to the Irish Times on July 26th, 2013, UCD economist Kevin Denny provides a more nuanced interrogation of the evidence.

Ireland is an ‘opt in’ country, with predicable shortage of organs – close to 700 people are on a waiting list. Spain is ‘opt out’, and leads the performance in terms of deceased organ donors; in 2011, it was 35.3 per million people compared with 20.7 for Ireland, and 17.0 for the UK2.

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/organ-donation-the-case-for-opt-out-rather-than-opt-in/
    inc4t
    Live Long and Prosper
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    I agree with @agsr . It should be the persons choice, it's their own organ.
    islander507
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    My organ, my choice - otherwise I agree to become cyborg in after-life
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    While morally I lament that more people to not sign up to be organ donors, I do not think it should be put into law. The government has no business interfering in decisions people make with their bodies, living or otherwise. Think about that sort of power, and where it's coming from; an abstract federal body is forcing people to remove organs from their corpses. It's just unsettling, and should be left to personal choice. Once laws have that sort of power, it sets the precedent for possibly even worse laws to be made.
    agsrWhyTrump
  • avivaviv 27 Pts   -  
    @agsr what is opt?
    manetai
  • manetaimanetai 29 Pts   -  
    I agree with @melanielust .
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @aviv, if you review the article agsr provided it explains "opt in" And "opt out" country is based on whether a person by default is signed up to be a donor and needs to explicitly opt out.
    i agree with agsr that it will be an effective approach.
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • SaltyDogSaltyDog 21 Pts   -  
    being forced to give up your organs after death would be such an over reach of power that it frightens the Hell out of me 
    agsr
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @SaltyDog, I agree. It's like being forced to become a cyborg after life.  Government shouldn't mess with our rights like that.  That said, we should encourage and explain the benefit of organ donations saving someone life.
    SaltyDog
    Live Long and Prosper