frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Gun control debate

Debate Information

There has been a TON of controversy over this lately. Personally, I believe that we do not need stricter gun laws because it is a person's right to be able to defend themselves, and in addition, a people's right to defend themselves in the case that their government might turn tyrannical; this was the purpose of the second amendment. Arguments for the other side include how guns are incredibly dangerous and lead to such events like school shootings; people usually cite countries like Japan and Australia that have a full ban on guns except for the army etc, and have seen relatively less criminal gun use.
irke
  1. Live Poll

What do you think?

8 votes
    1. The US needs stricter gun laws
      37.50%
    2. The US does not need stricter gun laws
      62.50%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• irkeirke 2 Pts   -  
    We need stricter gun control rules.
    SaltyDog
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @melanielust ,

I think you're on the right track here.  I personally don't believe that we need stricter gun laws, instead we need heavier penalties for crimes committed with firearms.  I personally believe that owning a Firearm is a right, and that rights cannot be restricted or regulated otherwise they would be privileges.  This wouldn't stop us however, from enacting new penalties and criminal punishments for committing a crime with a Firearm.  I think too many thugs are essentially unscathed from the judicial system so long as they don't fall into the 1st degree category for violent crimes committed with a firearm.

See the tables for yourselves, we're spread even in some areas but most areas look pretty ridiculous for 2nd and 3rd degree manslaughter.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0186.htm

And don't ask me how you can be convicted of KIDNAPPING with a firearm and only be sentenced to 20 years.  I think we can all agree, if you steal a child at gunpoint....you should probably be exiled from the U.S.  We're not talking about a minor lapse in judgement here. 

melanielustwith_all_humility
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• SaltyDogSaltyDog 21 Pts   -  
    definitely not. gun violence has continually decreased. and when most new bills wont affect mass shootings and target pure aesthetics of "assault rifles", it scares me to think of what they could do
    melanielustsocialmedia_an2831
  • I agree with @saltydog, it's a persons right to own a firearm for protection reasons and just for fun.
  • SaltyDogSaltyDog 21 Pts   -  
    Also. If you read the DC v Heller dissenting opinions, they argue that citizens don't have ANY right to own a firearm. Thank God for the Second Amendment.
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    Depends on how it will be implemented. If the AR-15 is going away, then to hell with gun control!
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles