frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is it hypocritical for profetus people to support war?

Debate Information

Either it is wrong to kill someone, or it isn't. Hypocrites.
Zombieguy1987

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    Either it is wrong to kill someone, or it isn't. Hypocrites.

No, it isn't because your version of pro-life isn't prolife 

pro-life

Dictionary result for pro-life

/prōˈlīf/
    adjective
    adjective: pro-life; adjective: prolife
    1. opposing abortion and euthanasia.
      "she is a pro-life activist"

OppolzerApplesauce
  • OppolzerOppolzer 191 Pts   -  
    I’m disappointed that people still fail to acknowledge this - there is no scientific instrument capable of measuring moral rightness and wrongness. What is right, and what is wrong are merely perspectives that the individual decides for themselves, with hardly any agreement as a society.
    PlaffelvohfenAmericanFurryBoyMayCaesarZombieguy1987
  • War is usually caused due to conflicts/ revenge between countries. These countries more often than not have done something to deserve war. An un born child on the other hand has done nothing.
    Zombieguy1987ApplesauceOppolzer
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Being in support of preserving life does not necessarily mean being against the act of killing in any instance. In case of self-defence, for example, you sometimes have to choose between losing your life, or taking the life of the aggressor - there is no way to save both lives, hence you have to make a choice.

A war may, in fact, save much more lives than take. I would argue that the US involvement in the World War 2 saved orders of magnitude more lives long-term, than were lost in the military action. Just imagine what would have happened if the Third Reich had taken over the world... The number of lost lives would be unimaginable.

I have always had trouble with people condemning such wars as, say, Vietnam War or Iraq War. They like waving signs around saying "Make love, no war", ignoring the fact that not much love was being made in those countries before the US involvement. They like to pretend that all those people who died as a result of the US involvement would have been preserved otherwise - while the reality is not nearly as clear-cut, and, in fact, it is very likely that the lack of the US involvement would have led to far more casualties, and much worse consequences for the respective regions as a result.

There are definitely wars that should not have happened, but there are also wars that either were inevitable, or were preventing a bigger evil from happening. Being against all wars is an extreme case of pacifism, and, as can easily be demonstrated, pacifism will always lose the competition against more realistic and pragmatic approaches. It only takes one person in the entire world to not be pacifist, for pacifism to become unviable. And there are definitely a lot of people who are out to take advantage of misguided pacifists on the West. People like Putin or Kim Jong Un are masters of using naive Western teenagers holding "peace" signs to further their nefarious goals.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987Oppolzer
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    murdering someone else is unspeakable and indescribably horrible, but if you try to take my life or someone one I love, I will try to stop you, even if that means taking your life, and won't loose a minute of sleep if I'm forced to, there's no guilt when there's no choice in that instance.  I think abortion should be extremely rare and extremely limited.
    Zombieguy1987
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals