frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can Christians read books from other religions, just to see what's in them?

Debate Information

I say yes. I read other religious books all the time, just to understand comparative religion better.
AlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    Of course. While I'll admit I haven't read the Bible yet, I would like to in the near future. Whether the Bible doesn't allow Christians to read other religious books, I don't know, but it would be a very and ignorant position to take.
    AlofRI
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I would say it would be impractical not to. 
    I won't claim to be a student of religion, by any means. I've read and have had people try to convince me to follow the Bible. Actually, the most convincing argument was by Charlton Heston. His documentary, The Bible, was (with his voice), far more convincing than any of these TV charlatans of today OR earlier. But, alas, I'm just not convinced …. even swayed, that the stories are true. If the "actual" author would only show up, tell me which "version", if any, are correct. Actually which book or scroll is correct, which religion, again, if any, is correct, I would change my mind. Instead, S/HE/IT 'don't show …. I don't believe. I'll go with science.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    As a scientist, I have gotten to read a lot of scientific books and articles. In my opinion, the best way to truly understand something is to expose yourself to as many descriptions of that something as possible - by as many authors as possible.

Reading just one or two sources, coupled with the prior ignorance, will make you agree with the authors simply because you are not knowledgeable enough to reasonably disagree with them. Reading a dozen sources, on the other hand, will make the flaws in each author's reasoning stand out, as one group of authors will avoid the flaws in another group's reasoning.

In addition, often something a lot of people say does not really seem to make sense, but once someone says it in a way that "clicks" with you, you start understanding everything - and those "clicks" sometimes are all that separates our ignorance from understanding.

I do not see how it should be different in religion. You should not read other religious books "just to see what's in them"; you should read other religious books to build up your own interpretation of religion. You should not be a Christian, or a Muslim, or a Buddhist; you should be [insert your name here] who has his/her own opinion on everything.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • GwynneMaGwynneMa 15 Pts   -  
    Yes i would say having a deep understanding of other religions would be a good thing.  That said, for a point of argumentx religions that deal in the Satanic or Occult would probably be discouraged.  The argument being, if you are Christian you believe that Satan is a real entity that means you harm, and you risk opening a figurative door for him to enter your life