frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Far leftists pushing for reparations for black people. Are they trying to start a war?

Debate Information

I refuse to apologize for being white, and support racial unity, not left wing social justice warriors. I am worried that the far left is trying to start a race war, and bet that Former President Lincoln would be PO'd.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -   edited February 2019
    That group of people are the modern day racist extremists, dividing people into races and subjecting them to some arbitrary "privilege" metric, talking about racial quotas in workplaces and so on.

I seriously doubt they will succeed with their idea; the Democrats with such views are not going to become a viable political force any time soon, and as long as the Democratic party embraces them, they will keep losing all presidential and senate elections. Then again, in Canada they are already past the "quota" stage and the reparations, and are pushing for even more radical measures. Maybe Western societies are not nearly as immune to such ideas as I believed in the past.

In any case, there will not be a war over it, do not overreact. Our taxes are already wasted on useless things, and nobody bats an eye any more. If a few dozen billions go into payments to the black people, nobody will be upset enough to take up arms. It is another matter that it will hit the black population hard, making them even more dependent on the governmental welfare and making it extremely hard for them to get out of the financial pit many of them find themselves in. But those who really want to get a serious career, will be able to use the money they receive in the productive way, while those who do not have only themselves to blame for choosing the easy way out.

These people on the video though... Fox News is just as out of touch with the world's realities as these Democrats.
    Zombieguy1987Plaffelvohfen
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  

I refuse to apologize for being white, and support racial unity, not left wing social justice warriors. I am worried that the far left is trying to start a race war, and bet that Former President Lincoln would be PO'd.
    Instantly turning a debate about whether black people deserve reparations for the centuries of slavery and then second class citizenship under Jim Crow into an issue about your whiteness and how you refuse to apologise for it (even though no-one has asked you to) is pretty thoughtless and racially insensitive. You can choose to disagree with reparations, but doing so because you "refuse to apologize for being white" is nonsense. 
    PlaffelvohfenAini
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Far leftists are as idiotic as far rightists. The only difference is the far leftist are usually overly charitable or looking for "free stuff", while the far rightists are religious radicals or dislike democracy. Better we be middle-of-the-roaders and work toward a "more perfect union" with a charitable religious freedom. To paraphrase Trump, "There are fine people on both sides", but, some are nuts.
    Zombieguy1987
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    rep·a·ra·tion
    /ˌrepəˈrāSH(ə)n/
    noun
    1. the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged. 
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar Agreed. I don't think skin color should be an issue.
    @AlofRI I agree on all points you said.
    AlofRI
    @Ampersand I tuned out when you played the victim card, leftist. The government does not have the right to my wallet to pay people for being a certain skin color. Slavery in America is gone, so get over it.
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    @Ampersand I tuned out when you played the victim card, leftist. The government does not have the right to my wallet to pay people for being a certain skin color. Slavery in America is gone, so get over it.
    Actually the US government has the right to levy taxes for whatever damn reason it pleases, and in fact does and has paid out money to victims of policies of the past, so get over yourself and learn the constitution.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    A few questions;

Who pays reparations?

Who gets reparations?

and how much (and where does that amount come from)?
  • BrandyKnightBrandyKnight 62 Pts   -  
    The idea is ignorant and my reasoning has nothing to do with race whatsoever, just common sense. I am no more responsible for the sins of my forefathers than my grandchildren will be for mine. We learn from our mistakes and the mistakes made throughout history. We need to always be knowledgeable of history so that it does not repeat itself. Slavery was legal at that time and no crime was committed in a general sense. We need to be citizens of this nation together, move along and keep trying to improve our shortcomings to strengthen the future for our children and theirs. Continuously pointing fingers and making demands based on the slave trade from before this nation was even founded is counterproductive and promotes a continuous hostile divide where one side accuses and the other side feels defensive. 
    all4actt
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    IMO, the only "reparation" that is worth any consideration is tackling with full force, the systemic and cultural racism still very present in the US... Talks about monetary compensation doesn't address this issue at all and would serve no purpose in the long run... 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

That's fine, but pin point the systematic and cultural racism still existing.  The problem is people claim it is there, but don't point out the specifics.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

That's fine, but pin point the systematic and cultural racism still existing.  The problem is people claim it is there, but don't point out the specifics.

That's like asking which bolt or cog makes a car run... There is no simple solution to this very complex and multi-factor problem... :/ 
    all4acttAini
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • AiniAini 35 Pts   -   edited October 2019
    @Plaffelvohfen

That's like asking which bolt or cog makes a car run... There is no simple solution to this very complex and multi-factor problem... :/ 
    There are also so many layers and nyances to human interaction. One can for example get excluded even though everyone is smiling. Also naming a few symptoms when the causes are left totally unattentioned isn't going to do much good, it might even make it "so THAT'S the problem?... Well if we fix that 1-2 things Will You Then be happy???!"    ........ even though the cause of the issues might still be left unattended.
    Plaffelvohfen
    I'm a non-native speaker and if my text seems weird it's because i come from a different background, among other things.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

I didn't say there was a simple solution, I said I wanted to know what were the issues/barriers facing minorities today.  The solution to any problem can only be found if you clearly identify the problem.  So what are the issues?

People argue that the problem obviously exists, but then state they are too complicated understand.  Meaning either they themselves don't understand it (then don't make the claim), or are placing themselves on a pedestal judging that others can't understand the complexity.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited October 2019
    @Plaffelvohfen

@MayCaesar

@Ampersand

With the amounts of non race on race crimes, and race on race crimes that go on in the United States on a daily basis.

I'm surprised that no lawmaker, has taken up a pen, and created a Reparations Law, that compensates the victims families, of those non race on race crimes, and the race on race crimes, that victimized the victims.

Thus the criminals and offenders, who victimized their victims, and making the families of the incarnated criminal, or the incarcerated offender, responsible for those Reparations Payments?

That will never happen, because it's too much of practical approach, to the Reparations conversation. 

And some of the various Organizations in the U.S., might have an issue, with the Reparations conversation, being used in the above context.