frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Assuming That Vaccines Do Cause Autism (They Don't) Should You Vaccinate Your Child.

Debate Information

Please remain civil while debating.
  1. Live Poll

Do Vaccines Cause Autism?

12 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      83.33%
    3. Kinda
      16.67%
  2. Live Poll

Assuming That Vaccines Do Cause Autism Should You Vaccinate Anyway?

12 votes
    1. Yes
      58.33%
    2. No
      33.33%
    3. Kinda
        8.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    There is an interesting related question I entertained recently.

Suppose your child has a rare genetic disorder that makes 1 out of 500 victims develop mental problems.
    There is an experimental cure available that prevents that from happening, but it can kill the child with 1 out of 5000 probability.
    Should you purchase the cure?

From the probabilistic point of view, you absolutely should, because 1 out 5000 is much better odds, than 1 out of 500.

But from the parental point of view, it is more complicated. After all, the odds of the disorder leading to mental problems is very low to begin with. What if the child was not going to develop them, but will be very unlucky with the cure and die? Will the parent be able to handle the knowledge that they essentially killed their child unnecessarily for the rest of their life?

I do not know how I would act. My mathematical inclination tells me that I should go with what the probability theory says and purchase the cure. My human side, however, is confused.

---

Same here. Assuming the vaccines can potentially hurt the healthy child, and knowing that avoiding vaccines can lead to other issues, which of the two risks will the parent prefer? I think the decision should be left to the child; it is his/her life, after all.
    Zombieguy1987
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    It is much better to protect both your child and the community even if this protection “gives them Autism.”
    cheesycheese
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • K_MichaelK_Michael 114 Pts   -  
    @AmericanFurryBoy

If everyone gets autism, though, We will be unable to develop vaccines in the future.
    cheesycheese
    "We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." 
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    K_Michael said:
    @AmericanFurryBoy

If everyone gets autism, though, We will be unable to develop vaccines in the future.
    You seem to not understand what autism is and just assume that autism is the same as being mentally retarded.
    K_Michael said:
    @AmericanFurryBoy

You seem to not understand what autism is and just assume that autism is the same as being mentally retarded.
    Autism does make certain things harder for people, such as working socially, which is essential to proper research and science. Furthermore, I believe that more invested work towards proper hygiene would be more effective.
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    @K_Michael
    If we all got Autism wouldn’t we just evolve around it? I mean, thats how we work. Also, Autism and Down syndrome are two different things. Autism could just come in the form of someone being less social, or more focused on something that they love (Asperbegers).
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
    I have interacted several times with those kinds of people, and it's challenging. I try not to judge people for problems that they can't control, but honestly, it's hard. These people often have difficulty controlling their emotions in the usual way and can be overstimulated easily. And we aren't necessarily going to evolve around everything life throws at us. According to fossil records, species go extinct all the time. Just because humans haven't yet doesn't mean they won't. There's a concept of a "great filter" that you might be interested, but I'm not an expert so I recommend you do your own research. And if you believe that humans are "destined" in any way to become the dominant, species that won't go extinct, that would be impossible from a purely scientific viewpoint. Only religion can truly justify that. However, I'm not going to turn this debate into another one about religion when there are far too many already. We need to be tolerant of others' choices.
  • Something238Something238 3 Pts   -  
    I don't even understand the argument that vaccines cause autism because even if they did then I would still vaccinate my kids because i would rather have autistic children than dead ones.
  • billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    thy dont there is zero risk the man who did the intial study admitted he faked data for attention
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin