frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should Evolution be taught in schools?

Debate Information

Evolution is a belief. It should not be taught in schools.
Zombieguy1987DeeAlofRIPlaffelvohfenZeusAres42RS_masterYunkoeicedcoffeefan

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• calebsicacalebsica 95 Pts   -  
    Evolution not a fact and there is no evidence for it. Evolution has so many positions so I would love debate some. 
    Zombieguy1987AlofRIIdolRocks
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @calebsica

Evolution is fact , students need to learn facts and not pseudoscienctific nonsense as in I D which has no place in a place of learning , luckily in Europe this I D nonsense is kept out of places of education.
    Zombieguy1987kevin_burkeZeusAres42
  • The idea of learning is exposure to principles of understanding both simple and complex systems of operation. To learn, or not to learn, is a liberty placed upon us of understanding and tolerance. The question is fixed as the direction of teaching does not mean it can be learned, there is only an introduction of a principle which suggest it should be learnable when taught. What we are saying about education is can human evolution be introduced subjective as a point of study in school institutions as the focal point of learning study for a firm understanding of change.

The ideal scenario is we hold school's to learn, the shape of learning can change as greatly as the shape of teaching. This is a hard concept to translate well to the public as it removes much of the idea of competition in being taught a subject of study for accountability.

Should evolution be taught? Yes if for no other reason then to understand how it can be learned. There is not one religion on earth that has not evolved.
    piloteer
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    By this logic, should anything at all be taught in schools? After all, there are very few 100%-confidence facts out there. For example, "Apples grow on trees" is not a fact; you never know if one day you will find an apple that has grown in a cave like a stalactite, for example, and you can never be sure that what you perceive as trees are actually trees, rather than an elaborate illusion hiding the truth - tiny insects flying in the air and conjuring apples.

Evolution is not a belief, but even if it was, it would still be an important information for students to know. Students learn the basics of various religions in history classes, for example, because it is important to know what other people believe to be able to live in the society.

I still have not seen anyone explain how various animals were domesticated and various plants cultivated over millennia without involving the concept of evolution. Suffice to say the theory of evolution is the best explanation we have for the observed changes in various animals, up to hundreds millions years back. There may be something wrong with the dominating theories, but the general idea is very unlikely to be fallacious. If anything is to be taught about the history of the world, it is evolution.
    Zombieguy1987ZeusAres42Oppolzer
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    There is a right way and a wrong way. Our teachers taught us it while also stressing the fact that we don’t know for sure if evolution took place or not and that there are other beliefs out there.
    ZeusAres42
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
    Evolution should not be taught in science class because it is not science. That is my main point 
    AmericanFurryBoyZombieguy1987DeeAlofRIZeusAres42Raiyanicedcoffeefan
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    calebsica said:
    Evolution should not be taught in science class because it is not science. That is my main point 
    Yes it is.

Any scientific theory which is falsifiable and has been rigorously tested and scrutinised to confirm it's validity can be considered valid scientific knowledge.
    calebsicaZombieguy1987AlofRIpiloteerZeusAres42Raiyan
    Ok, first evolution is a belief, it has no evidence for it, I would love to see what evidence you have on Evolution. What I see is a belief. 
    Thanks
    Zombieguy1987AlofRI
    I am curious: do you consider history science? If yes, then why? If no, then why?
    Zombieguy1987
    Evolution sure as hell isnt a religion. It is a part of science and through the wonderful research and study of DNA, we can draw conclusions that form to get her to make the THEORY of evolution.
    Zombieguy1987piloteer
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    calebsica said:

Then prove why Creationism should be taught then.

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited March 2019
    @calebsica

You say ....Ok, first evolution is a belief,

My reply .....No it’s not , it’s fact. Religion on the other hand is a belief and it’s based on spiritual conviction and nothing else 

You say .....it has no evidence for it,

My reply .....Evolution has mountains of evidence to support it ,pseudoscience like I D has absolutely zero 

You say ...I would love to see what evidence you have on Evolution.

My reply ....I don’t think you’re interested in evidence,  if you were you would have looked at all the available sources easily accessible on the internet. You are stating there is no evidence for Evolution it’s up to you to back your claim up.

You say .....What I see is a belief. 

My reply ....Which makes you Incorrect again. You accuse others of what you actually do as in you have a belief in a god and you have not one shred of evidence for your claim and you claim that’s ok and correct , then you accuse others of having a belief that’s not ok yet it’s has mountains of evidence to support it , that’s rather strange to say the least 

Zombieguy1987AlofRI
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    No, not on Christian tax dollars.
    Zombieguy1987AlofRIpiloteer
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

Wow ! Astonishing you don’t want Evolution which is fact in the American educational system all because you’re a Christian, this is why religions are so dangerous and regressive. What about American Christians who accept Evolution as fact and their tax dollars? 
    Zombieguy1987piloteer
    No, not on Christian tax dollars.

The U.S isn't Christian 

DeeAlofRI
    @Dee I have the Christian right to not fund evolution with my wallet.
    Zombieguy1987
    @Zombieguy1987 I have the Christian right to not fund things that are against my religion with my tax dollars.
    Zombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

Well send your kids to a religious based school but let American parents whose kids want to learn facts not fairytales have the right to keep nonsense out of the schoolroom 

Zombieguy1987
    @Dee I don;t want my tax dollars funding evolution, and I don't want children. I am arguing for the religious liberty of tax payers, since money should be free speech.
    Zombieguy1987
  • @YeshuaBought ;
    I have the Christian right to not fund things that are against my religion with my tax dollars.

You Have a United States Constitutional right to prove there is a crime it what is being shared openly, and should be disqualified as a common defense to the general welfare. Do you pay your tax's in Federal Reserve Notes, or check?
    @John_C_87 Let's try this again: My money, my choice. I have the right to say how MY tax dollars are used. I have the Christian right to not fund anti Christian programs with my tax dollars. America fought the British over taxation without representation, which is a form of slavery.
    Zombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

You say ......don;t want my tax dollars funding evolution, and I don't want children.

My reply ......You do this because it disagrees with your religious  beliefs which is unfair as Evolution is fact to deny such is based on a religious conviction nothing else , would you think it fair if flat Earthers didn’t want basic astronomy and geography taught over their religion convictions? 

Religion should be kept out of the classroom you have the right to practice your religion religion but not to push pseudoscience on others who want children to get a decent education 

You say ....I am arguing for the religious liberty of tax payers, since money should be free speech.

My reply......You have religious liberty you now want to force fact from the schoolroom because it’s doesnt fit your narrative this is grossly unfair 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

You say ...... I have the Christian right to not fund anti Christian programs with my tax dollars

My reply .....I agree , what you fail to understand Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or a god and has no interest in such why do you believe otherwise?

If by some incredible new findings Evolution was proven to be false it still doesn’t prove a god exists 
    Zombieguy1987
    @YeshuaBought
    Again, usually Evolution is taught with teachers stressing that we don’t know for sure wether it happened or not and that there are other creation theories. Also, if you’re that triggered, just pay for private school. You’re taxpayer dollars arent being wasted believe me
    @Zombieguy1987 I have the Christian right to not fund things that are against my religion with my tax dollars.

Then go to a private Christian school 

AlofRI
    Evolution has no evidence it has laws against it like the conservation of angular momentum. Since it is a belief, it should not be taught in science class. 
    Zombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @calebsica

You say .....Evolution  has no evidence

My reply ....It has tons of it google is your friend 

You say ..... Since it is a belief, it should not be taught in science class. 

My reply .....Nonsense ,maybe you should go about attempting to disprove Evolution I look forward to you accepting a Nobel prize when you do so 
    Zombieguy1987
  • @YeshuaBought ;

Its simple not your money, we earn the right to use the dollar, the Federal Reserve Note is a registered receipt which we are not in authority to create legally, and it is held as registered receipt of value, while the right to representation in court of law is a general guild line for a common defense of basic welfare value for all who vote. You are at liberty to say you voting on how money is spent, there is no separation between collection of service fee, tax, or licensing fee. Other then a verbal interpretation. Ever dollar that is spent we can independently file grievance openly on, or structure a petition for the court when looking for greater separation of detail as needed.

It is a basic lie to say we pay taxation for anything other the judicial separation, as it is the foundation for holding the legal process itself impartial for all people. When woman, prisoners of war, and newly established citizens have been added to the right to vote taxation became essential in holding the general wellbeing legally away from self-incrimination in the line of corruption.

United States Constitution is a union of basic Principle and Legal Precedent, legal precedent is created it two ways not one. The writing of laws, plus the things which have been excluded from legislation as a process of law. Ergo taxation without representation which can/does mean without documentation within the structure of law. 

You are not the Christian Church, you are a person, a Christian woman who makes a claim of Christianity. By this claim the church is exempt from tax on your behalf. The church asks for donation from you, in dollars, as it does not hold a common defense to the wellbeing of society with a structure of impartiality. A desire to self-incriminate yourself by saying that you give tax payment as bribe to government does not mean it is true, or that any money is taken as a bribe.

calebsica said:
    Evolution has no evidence it has laws against it like the conservation of angular momentum. Since it is a belief, it should not be taught in science class. 
    Conservation of angular momentum is a law against evolution? This is interesting. Care to elaborate how it works?

You throw a lot of buzzwords around, but I do not think you know what they mean.
    Zombieguy1987
    calebsica said:
    Ok, first evolution is a belief, it has no evidence for it, I would love to see what evidence you have on Evolution. What I see is a belief. 
    Thanks
    Ironically your statement "Ok, first evolution is a belief, it has no evidence for it" is a belief with no evidence to support it.

if you're not even aware of evidence for evolution, let along trying to dispute it, just google/wiki it.

I mean evolution is so common there's really no denying it - see commmonplace examples like the pepper moths. I assume your actual stance (that you don't even seem capable of communicating) is that evolution doesn't cause speciation. Still wrong but at least slightly less outrageously wrong.
    Zombieguy1987AmericanFurryBoyPlaffelvohfen
  • @YeshuaBought ;

@John_C_87 Let's try this again: My money, my choice. I have the right to say how MY tax dollars are used. I have the Christian right to not fund anti Christian programs with my tax dollars. America fought the British over taxation without representation, which is a form of slavery.

It might be better put this way, no you do not have that United States Constitutional right as it has been given form you to the Christian Church as they already do not pay taxation. You are making a claim public all Christians are independent and therefor you feel unrequired of protection provided by in Constitutional judicial separation.
  • The Christian Church in basic principle simply has been adopted by you as a child, not a place.
    Google is my friend and I have listened to about 7 hours of debates and speeches about evolution. I encourage you to watch debates because you see both sides of the story. I know the evolutionist claim stuff but they are debunked like radiometric dating. Just to clarify, I am not asking Christion teachings to be taught in schools but I believe evolution needs to be out.
  • @calebsica ;

In truth we are not using if as a basis to teach a subject in educational institutions. What has been forgotten as it sets a discrepancy in child labor. Education is a basic training program as a public process for opportunities in life. So the basic principle in question is will there be a substantial reason to believe that learning a background can be viable by providing background information before a job is fully described.  

I understand that there is, and will be greater ability to use the information that is already available, to monitor its growth and translation. Opportunities will be available on both sides confirming or reputing the understandings now in place.
    Could you please rephrase the main point?
    THanks
    @calebsica
    More like google is my only friend
    Anyway, Radiometric dating is very real and works very well. Another thought, why did all the dinosaurs have to die then? God wouldn’t just wipe em out would he? (If he exists, I don’t know if he does or not).
    @calebsica

What do you mean by "debunked like radiometric dating"? Radiometric dating is based on very basic nuclear physics, and unless I have missed something, the basics of the nuclear physics are as strong as ever.

You said that you have listened to 7 hours of debates. Yet you do not get to the bottom of a scientific issue by listening to debates. You get to it by studying the actual subject.
    You can listen all you want to the debates on whether 2+2=4, and I am sure both sides will have well sounding arguments - yet those debates are not going to change basic facts.
    Zombieguy1987
    MayCaesar said:
    @calebsica

What do you mean by "debunked like radiometric dating"? Radiometric dating is based on very basic nuclear physics, and unless I have missed something, the basics of the nuclear physics are as strong as ever.

You said that you have listened to 7 hours of debates. Yet you do not get to the bottom of a scientific issue by listening to debates. You get to it by studying the actual subject.
    You can listen all you want to the debates on whether 2+2=4, and I am sure both sides will have well sounding arguments - yet those debates are not going to change basic facts.
    It'll be that you can't radiometrically date either fossils or the sedimentary rocks that contain them. Of course archaeologists don't do that and use a technique called bracketing where they will date the igneous rock in the layers above and below the sedimentary rock giving an upper and lower boundary for the age of the fossils, e.g. is the rock just above the sedimentary layer containing the fossils is 300 million years old and the layer just below is 320 million years old then the sedimentary rocks (and the fossils they contain) are going to be 300 - 320 million years old.

That or they're mixing radiometric dating up with carbon dating which isn't a valid method for such long period of time.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @calebsica

You say ......

Google is my friend and I have listened to about 7 hours of debates and speeches about evolution.

My reply .....So you found none of them convincing?

You say .....I encourage you to watch debates because you see both sides of the story.

My reply .....There are not two sides of the story there’s only one which is based on actual science the other is based on pseudoscienctific nonsense 

You say ......know the evolutionist claim stuff but they are debunked like radiometric dating.

My reply .....I again look forward to your peer reviewed paper debunking Evolution, the I D design community has still to date not put forward even one peer reviewed paper to challenge Evolution why’s that do you think?

You say .....Just to clarify, I am not asking Christion teachings to be taught in schools but I believe evolution needs to be out.

My reply .....Yes , I know you don’t want children educated in what is fact you’ve made that clear 
    Zombieguy1987
  • @calebsica ;

I could try, a debate can be used like a compass to direct dispute. You mention dating, how much do you understand about the mathematics which make Time a viable tool?

• @Ampersand ;

That or they're mixing radiometric dating up with carbon dating which isn't a valid method for such long period of time.

Time itself has not been mathematically calibrated for purpose it is being tested for by science. It is unclear that science understands the basic purpose for which time was designed and used.

MayCaesar said:
    @calebsica

They have Radiometric dating rocks made in the mt. st. helens eruption and dated over a million years old. 
    By the way radiometric dating is mainly used on rocks formed in eruptions.

Zombieguy1987
  • @calebsica ;

By the way radiometric dating is mainly used on rocks formed in eruptions. 

Great the object to be dated comes from eruptions…….Were does the math principle of Time come from used as a base line for impartial measurement? The general idea of a time is a distance set by motion to align with a compass, it is found by the mathematic translation of distance by use of velocity. This to be translated directly to a compass with North and South poles. In order for the velocity of time to be scaled to accurate area it must be available for view to become place in scale by mathematics. Science has basically scaled the compass down and said look our this time is always accurate. Sure it is more accurate its a supper small compass alienated from direction in a fixed viewable area by electronics.

The math presumption in radiometric readings is based on forms of decay, absorption is subject to mathematic segregation by order of mass, atomic weight, the weight we feel is under an influence of gravitation as motion. The year is not a scientific translation of Time at all. Science has yet to described the calculation of forecasting time in this way. The reasons behind time were to accommodate the fact the a compass is magnetically influenced, therefore a method of measurement was need to confirm idea of direction by use of stars in the sky.

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought OK, if we use your tax dollars to fund cleaning up the ocean and our drinking water/air etc.?? Then, they can use MY tax dollars to educate students in the science of , well, about anything that leads us to FACT. That makes us both happy, right??
    DeeZombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -   edited March 2019
    @calebsica

Radiometric dating is starting being used even on stars. Comparing the abundances of uranium and thorium, and knowing the initial abundances of uranium and thorium in a typical gas cloud in the early Universe, you can roughly estimate the age of a star. I wrote a paper on this method just a few years ago.

If you have some objections against that method, you are welcome to share them. Otherwise, your argument does not seem to have any rational basis.

It seems that you simply dislike the idea of the world not being created by some omnipotent being. Thing is, however, the nature does not care what you like, it simply is what it is.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Should Evolution be taught in schools?

Well, do you want medicine? Do you want to be able to confront 21st century’s microbiological challenges?? 

Understanding evolution is critical to educating the next generation of scientists, to give them the tools to develop novel treatments against antibiotic resistant bacteria, emerging viruses, and other deadly microbes. They need to understand how these microbes develop and change, which requires an understanding of evolution.

If you don't believe in Evolution, it means you don't understand evolution... 

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn.” – Benjamin Franklin
    Zombieguy1987Dee
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • @AlofRI ;

OK, if we use your tax dollars to fund cleaning up the ocean and our drinking water/air etc.?? Then, they can use MY tax dollars to educate students in the science of , well, about anything that leads us to FACT. That makes us both happy, right??

...lol...… the simple truth is taxation is collected legally in a united state when held by constitution within support to the judicial separation creating impartiality. Happiness and safety are principled of a declaration of Independence.
    AmericanFurryBoyAlofRI
  • Doesn’t the issue revolve around the principle of evolution itself, if humans do/did not evolve as a species, we do evolve as people in several ways.

• AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -   edited March 2019
    1) Your right to have a say in how your tax dollars is spent involves voting to elect representatives who decide on laws and governance, including tax spending. Guess what? You have representation, you get to vote and you still have to pay tax.

2) Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.
    AmericanFurryBoyAlofRIBenShapirosCousinkevin_burke