frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Angola bans Islam. What say you?

Debate Information

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqBAcjAO6og
I think the government has no right to ban a religion.
Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNova

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    Zombieguy1987
    Zombieguy1987
    Zombieguy1987
  • mickygmickyg 349 Pts   -  
    Since there is zero evidence jesus existed than islam is wrong .They believe in jesus .@YeshuaBought
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    From googling around, the story seems to be non-existent. The Angolan government closed a few mosques around 2010 allegedly for them not complying with the property laws somehow, and swarms of sensationalist journalists decided to interpret it as "Angola bans Islam".

As for your point, banning religion, or any system of beliefs for that matter, makes zero sense. Aside from violating the most basic human rights, it is also practically unfeasible: you cannot enforce the ban of beliefs, because you have no control over what people privately think.
    Oppolzerethang5Zombieguy1987
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Well, technically Islam is not "banned" per se, but it's true that Islam is not "officially recognized" because Angola's law require "religions" to have a minimum of 100,000 members and is required to be present in 12 of the 18 provinces to be legally recognized, in 2016 there were about 90k muslims in Angola, right now in 2019, they may have reached that threshold, I can't say... Non-recognized religions in Angola cannot operate confessional schools, build places of worship and such, but people are free to believe what they want... It should be noted that the Angolan government often permits non-registered groups to exist and function... 

So, while not a "ban", it's a severe restriction on the "practice" of some religions/cults... 
    ethang5OppolzerMayCaesarZombieguy1987SilverishGoldNova
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Angola is its own conscience. It has the right to do whatever it wants … within the worlds positions on cruelty and humanity. Trump would LOVE to ban Islam, but, that's a "nationalists" mindset, NOT a democratic mindset. He would MUCH rather we were NOT a democracy and some are helping him to change that. So long, America, if he succeeds. 
    I have no love of any religion but I respect the right of anyone who wants to follow one. Banning one just leads to underground cults … that CAN be dangerous when they feel "hated". Left alone I think religions of all sects will die out in the next century as knowledge overpowers myth. When I was in Europe they were turning some cathedrals into condo's. That, to me, is similar to turning swords into plowshares. "Religions cause us to hate those we would not normally hate." (Forgot who said that). But, Blaise Pascal said: "Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions." We see that every day with the middle east madness, with the televangelist ripoff of millions of believers, with earlier religious wars … that will never stop UNTIL the sects die out. I won't see it, but, good luck to those who MAY.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    That story is akin to something a story time YouTuber would do: Greatly exaggerate.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)