frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Here's the Law That Requires Mnuchin to Turn Over Trump's Taxes, or Lose His Office and Go to Prison

Debate Information

A recent CBS News poll found that 36% of adults either personally own a firearm or live with someone who does–the lowest level since 1978. That’s 10% lower than gun ownership rates in 2012 and 17 points lower than 1994’s high of 53%.

Meanwhile, gun purchases are at historic highs, measured by FBI firearm background checks, and gun manufacturers are producing record numbers of firearms — about 4.4 million a year in the U.S. according to the latest countfrom the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

So how can gun ownership be at a record low if sales are up? Because most of the rise in gun purchases comes from existing gun owners stocking up over concerns about tighter gun laws following recent mass shootings, rather than by people buying their first gun, according to the Washington Post. An analysis by the paper last year found that the average American gun owner owns about eight firearms, double that in the 1990s. Similarly, a CBS News poll from March found that about 20% of gun owners owned 10 or more guns.

https://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/55989-heres-the-law-that-requires-mnuchin-to-turn-over-trumps-taxes-or-lose-his-office-and-go-to-prison?fbclid=IwAR2J7Eg0zD5Xk_LwO98JQIl3jtfT9RqLS_WTGUkr7g_NaM1U3DnErJ3afrw

1. Live Poll

I support a deep state coup putting pelosi and the democrats in charge

4 votes
    1. yes yes yes
      25.00%
    2. um no maybe a coup arresting them all and installing trump as the fuher
        0.00%
    3. lets just stick with the constitution and constitutional procedure for now
      50.00%
    4. screw you guys i'm going home
      25.00%
The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I don't see what the number of privately owned guns and/or gun owners has to do with Trump's taxes, but lets stick with the Constitution.  If the Dems can see Trump's taxes if they
    show a GOOD reason for it.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    How can you support a state coup putting Pelosi and the Democrats in charge when they are already in charge, being one of the two major political parties and controlling one of the two parts of the Congress? A coup against them to change nothing? Or do you want to be done with the party system altogether and make the US into a one-party state?
  • billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar not completely

@CYDdharta my bad so sorry 

Here's the Law That Requires Mnuchin to Turn Over Trump's Taxes, or Lose His Office and Go to Prison

By David Cay Johnston, The Daily Beast

12 April 19

The law is clear, and it leaves no wiggle room. The consequences for breaking it include removal from public office and up to five years in prison.

onald Trump and his top White House aide declare that the administration will not give the president's tax returns to Congress, as required under a 1924 anti-corruption law. But both the Treasury secretary and the tax commissioner have been much more nuanced, saying that they will obey the law even as they delay actually doing so.

I know why Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and Charles Rettig, the IRS commissioner, are so cautious. They don’t want to be removed from office and sent to prison for five years just for doing Trump’s bidding.

12 April 19

The law is clear, and it leaves no wiggle room. The consequences for breaking it include removal from public office and up to five years in prison.

onald Trump and his top White House aide declare that the administration will not give the president's tax returns to Congress, as required under a 1924 anti-corruption law. But both the Treasury secretary and the tax commissioner have been much more nuanced, saying that they will obey the law even as they delay actually doing so.

I know why Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and Charles Rettig, the IRS commissioner, are so cautious. They don’t want to be removed from office and sent to prison for five years just for doing Trump’s bidding.

12 April 19

12 April 19

It's pretty idiotic to say the Treasury Secretary or the IRS commissioner would face jail time, or even be prosecuted.  As anyone who was around for the 0bama years knows, the Attorney General has wide latitude for prosecutorial discretion, that is, if Trump doesn't just claim executive privilege.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    So, where is the law? Can anyone cite the exact wording, or is it just an unverified information circulating in the media? As far as I know, there is no law obliging anyone for any reason (unless explicitly directed by the court) to make their tax information public. It was just a tradition that every president does so, but not doing so just because others did so does not constitute any sort of crime.

If there is such a law, then it is a severe violation of privacy and should be abolished. I am not interested in my president's tax returns. I am interested in my president's, well, job as a president. It is not overly impressive, but that is hardly a reason to go after his personal bank accounts.
    MayCaesar said:
    So, where is the law? Can anyone cite the exact wording, or is it just an unverified information circulating in the media? As far as I know, there is no law obliging anyone for any reason (unless explicitly directed by the court) to make their tax information public. It was just a tradition that every president does so, but not doing so just because others did so does not constitute any sort of crime.

If there is such a law, then it is a severe violation of privacy and should be abolished. I am not interested in my president's tax returns.
    It was included as a link in one of @billbatard 's many different threads on the same topic.  It's in the 1927 26 U.S. Code § 6103. Confidentiality and disclosure of returns and return information, Section F 1

A requirement that's being overlooked is "a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure."  Even if this disclosure is upheld in the inevitable court battle, Trump's tax returns still won't be made public.

@CYDdharta No , respectfully it is not idiotic, on the contrary .

@CYDdharta No , respectfully it is not idiotic, on the contrary .
    Yeah, yes it is.  This is nakedly political.  There is nothing illegal in Trump's tax returns, the IRS would have found found that during their regular and frequent audits.  Like the Trump-Russia collusion investigation, this is just another fishing expedition to dig up dirt that might hurt Trump politically.  At this point, this is SOP for the Dems.

Chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Elijah Cummings and Financial Services Chairwoman Maxine Waters executed a secret Memorandum of Understanding to “target” President Trump and subpoena all his financial and banking records, according to a letter sent to Cummings from ranking committee member Rep. Jim Jordan.
    https://saraacarter.com/reps-elijah-cummings-maxine-waters-and-adam-schiff-sign-secret-mous-to-target-trump/