frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should Evolution be taught in schools?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• calebsicacalebsica 95 Pts   -  
    radiometric dating uses decaying atoms like uranium which decays into lead but it makes too many assumptions.
    Zombieguy1987
    Zombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

@calebsica

Answers in Genesis....that’s hilarious ......should be renamed misinformation in Genesis
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @calebsica ;

radiometric dating uses decaying atoms like uranium which decays into lead but it makes too many assumptions.
     This is kind of the idea I was given when looking into the subject matter. However something to keep in mind is mankind has not quite duplicated that natural process of decay from uranium to lead as an element.

Here again addressing gravity as motion which is elasticity, modulation, and reverberation present a more detailed mathematic picture in detail of the required motion uranium takes to reach the state of lead. A basic principle to share the idea clearly is that uranium is subject to a separation process much like earth and water might be separated under a proper frequency and direction of modulation combined with the frequency eco.
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    calebsica said:
    Watched it. Turned out to be a typical dumb propaganda vid.
    Zombieguy1987calebsica
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @Dee I have the Christian right to not fund evolution with my wallet.
    No, you don't. Show us that the constitution gives you the right to say what your tax dollars are spent on, then you'll have a good case. Until then, you have no right to not fund stuff you don't like.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987Dee
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -  
    calebsica said:
    Of course it makes a lot of assumptions. You cannot avoid making assumptions when you want to build a logical chain; you have to start somewhere. That said, those assumptions have been verified in thousands experiments over a very long time, so they are likely to be reasonable.

What alternative do you suggest? We have science, and then we have... what? Religion? That is one giant assumption with no evidence behind it? We have to work with the best tools we have, however flawed those tools are, and replacing them with shamanic totems is not a viable alternative.
    Zombieguy1987
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @piloteer

I agree, "tax money" isn't yours, it's the government's. It's the cost of being a citizen...
    piloteerZombieguy1987
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    calebsica said:
    Evolution not a fact and there is no evidence for it. Evolution has so many positions so I would love debate some. 
    Even IF evolution was just a theory (even though it's not), what's the point of not teaching it? Are you arguing that we should only teach what you agree with? Why shouldn't we not teach what I disagree with? I don't agree with the theory of creationism. If we barred schools from teaching things that people disagree with, nothing would get taught. This sounds like more banter from people who want to limit other peoples education.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987ZeusAres42
  • @Ampersand ;

The United State created, as a creator of legal right, by use there is Constitutional representation comprising detail into legislation of law by House of representatives, as well as constitutional separation from law, by court as they are a to a creator bound by the same basic principle set upon the people, us, as united state. What YeshuaBought’s interpretation is basically saying, had England informed the original Colonies that the taxation to England had been lost to Piracy spending the money on booze and loose woman on the high seas, the United States of America should now, or ever had been legally, and Constitutionally Independence form England. By her introduction of understanding to basic information. The whole truth still is “the money” (Taxation ) makes no difference in the legal reason for lack of representation before judicial separation combined by principle with judicial legislation. All Legal representation happens, takes place in two area, place to be held, not one by any united state. This is a whole truth, as is all legal precedent can be made, comprise of, created from both past court ruling, and rulings which have never been allowed to placed before Judicial separation for ruling. There is a right by our united state of independence which allows us to present truth’s that are held by humanity to be self-evident. The correct translation on YeshuaBought’s wording, yes she most certainly has the inalienable right to commit crime, I cannot take that directly from her legally. She can even claim it is by religious conviction she undertakes this action.  The many consequence as a outcome is what is to be described as legal or illegal from its judicial outcome.  
    I understand that but if you teach one belief in school you have to teach them all, so by not teaching evolution, there would be no beliefs that is taught in schools
    Zombieguy1987
    calebsica said:
    I understand that but if you teach one belief in school you have to teach them all, so by not teaching evolution, there would be no beliefs that is taught in schools
    Your question implies that those different beliefs have equal merit - but they do not. There are literally thousands beliefs out there on how life came to be; almost all of them happen to be wild unfounded stories, however, and only one features the overwhelming amount of evidence supporting it.

Teaching people everything a wild mind has ever come up with would be counter-productive. What should be taught in the precious time that the students spend at school is relevant and practically useful things.
    Zombieguy1987Plaffelvohfen
  • billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    @calebsica Evolution has been proven scientifically and should be taught as such at the end of a gun barrel if necessarry
    Zombieguy1987
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

Should Evolution be taught in schools?

Well, do you want medicine? Do you want to be able to confront 21st century’s microbiological challenges?? 

Understanding evolution is critical to educating the next generation of scientists, to give them the tools to develop novel treatments against antibiotic resistant bacteria, emerging viruses, and other deadly microbes. They need to understand how these microbes develop and change, which requires an understanding of evolution.

If you don't believe in Evolution, it means you don't understand evolution... 

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn.” – Benjamin Franklin
    I understand that microevolution is a fact. I understand that but my point is that Macroevolution is not true. Next time I will clarify, sorry.
    Zombieguy1987
    MayCaesar said:
    calebsica said:
    Your question implies that those different beliefs have equal merit - but they do not. There are literally thousands beliefs out there on how life came to be; almost all of them happen to be wild unfounded stories, however, and only one features the overwhelming amount of evidence supporting it.

Teaching people everything a wild mind has ever come up with would be counter-productive. What should be taught in the precious time that the students spend at school is relevant and practically useful things

Can you show me one piece of evidence that proves Macroevolution or Organic Evolution.
    Thanks
    Zombieguy1987
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited April 2019
    @calebsica

Macroevolution is what results when microevolution occurs in two or more populations within a species. Or maybe one might think of macroevolution as the net sum of all the microevolution that occurs within a species. Either way, the unavoidable conclusion is that it's impossible for one to be true without the other!

Perhaps an example would help clear things up. Suppose there was a large population of Species A (let's just suppose, for fun, that they're salamanders) that lives in a hilly terrain. Everything's fine and dandy until some event (like an ice age) comes along, and isolates different groups on the mountaintops. Hopefully, that makes sense so far.

It shouldn't be much of a jump to assume that those different populations, no matter how similar, still have slightly different mutations and develop under slightly different conditions. Given enough time (or enough of a difference in conditions) these two groups will develop into very different populations, and when they come back together, they may not be able to inter-breed. Et voila! New species.

So there we have it: "microevolution" is what happened to each individual group. "Macroevolution" is the result when the two groups develop under different conditions. And it may sound like an esoteric example, but guess what?! It's actually happened! The "theoretical" situation accounts for the diversity of salamanders in Appalachia.

Although the vast majority of speciation occurs via microevolution resulting in macroevolution, it is possible to skip the micro and create new species out of the blue. Although seemingly outlandish and admittedly rare, this has happened before.

In North America, there are two species of gray tree frog. For all intents and purposes they are identical, and they differ in only two features: their call (necessary to isolate the groups) and their genetic make-up; the species simply referred to as the Gray Tree Frog (Hyla versicolor), has four copies of each chromosome, whereas the Cope's Gray Tree Frog (Hyla chrysoscelis), has two (like humans). At some point in their history, a single group of larvae was born with four sets of chromosomes… these cannot breed with "normal" tree frogs, and within a two or three generations, there were two species where before there was one. No gradual change in response to the environment, just a sudden reproductive isolation leading (very quickly) to new species.

One critical thing you must also understand it that evolution is NOT a linear thing, but a branching process where one species can give rise to two or more species. The fallacy of linear evolution is most clearly illustrated by the analogy of asking; how can I share common grandparents with my cousins if my cousins and my grandparents are still alive? The answer is of course that your grandparents had more than one child and they each went off and started their own families creating new branches of your own family tree. The same thing happens in evolutionary families. A species can split into two or more descendant species and they can split again and again across the generations.

Zombieguy1987
     But They are still salamanders, which is the same kind, so that is not Macroevolution. I know that one speices can change into another but a dog can not produce a non-dog
    Zombieguy1987
    1:  "I know that one species can change into another...."
    2:   "...but a dog can not produce a non-dog".

Do you understand what you just wrote??
    Zombieguy1987ZeusAres42
    calebsica said:
     But They are still salamanders...
    Pay good attention to my last paragraph... That's the linear evolution fallacy...
    Zombieguy1987
    I understand the last paragraph but that is about microevolution not Macro. 
    Zombieguy1987
    calebsica said:
    I understand the last paragraph but that is about microevolution not Macro. 
    Not at all, it's the fallacy of linear evolution... The reasoning "But they're still salamanders" is fallacious in that it positions evolution in terms of single linear increments, which is incorrect... 
    Zombieguy1987
    @calebsica

They are still salamanders because of how we classify them scientifically. Every newborn salamander is different in some minor way from every previously existing salamander, with a different gene structure and different derived consequences.

Over millions years, these salamanders will branch out or collectively evolve into something different. We obviously cannot observe the entire process, just like we cannot observe the entire evolution of the Sun. But, by observing other stars at different stages of their evolution, we can build a model consistent with the observations, which tells us clearly how the Sun came to be what it is and how it will evolve in the future - and similarly, by observing the evidence of countless species across hundreds millions years, we can build a model consistent with these observations which tells us that salamanders evolved from something and will evolve into something.

The precise predictions are hard to make, because of the high degree of stochasticity of these processes, and because of how imperfect our models are. It is much like with weather prediction: we can almost never tell with high certainty what the weather is going to be even tomorrow, let alone in a few days - but we can make pretty strong general guesses that, more often than not, turn out to be true.

Your objection to the evolution seems to be based on the sole fact that we cannot observe these processes in real time. But if you were consistent with this objection, then you would just as much criticise almost every other scientific field. Take anything random, say, history of Ancient Rome. How can we even be sure that Ancient Rome ever existed, if everyone who lived there perished, at least, 1500 years ago? Do you then dismiss history as science?
    "Your objection to the evolution seems to be based on the sole fact that we cannot observe these processes in real time. But if you were consistent with this objection, then you would just as much criticise almost every other scientific field. Take anything random, say, history of Ancient Rome. How can we even be sure that Ancient Rome ever existed, if everyone who lived there perished, at least, 1500 years ago? Do you then dismiss history as science?"
    -maycaesar

You bring up a great point. What is the difference between historical science and observational science? Please watch this short video that explains it. 
    https://answersingenesis.org/media/video/science/nature-of-science/ 

PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
    It is a  scientific fact, why would you not .
    Zombieguy1987

• GilGadsonGilGadson 14 Pts   -  
    I despise bullies. And the Scientific community that promotes Evolution are for the most part bullies. They use their influential positions of power( Their degrees and years of so-called experience inEvolution) to intimidate, make people feel and uninformed to press their agenda. Evolution is a belief akin to religion. Most don't know that the community is rife in their history with frauds,outright fallacies, non-publications of other leading scientists, geneticists, etc... who differ in their belief and opinion....and mos of all.. statements made as if they are fact. The most famous being " Evolution is a fact!!" when they have not one iota to prove it. Very simply.. if we " Evolved there should unquestionably be millions or even billions of fossils showing some sort of transitional beings. Most don't know that out of all the millions of fossils found, not one " Transitional" one has been found. Not one!!!!    And yet the Evolution community constantly talks about the fossil record A record of what? Old bones? I am not being argumentative and have no intention of insulting anyone. I just wish many woulsdseriously do their homework truly examine what evolution purports to be fact and the limitless complexity of life that could not just " happen" . There is so much more to say but I guarantee that I will be attacked viciously. personally and there won't be one iota of talk scientifically defending evolution with facts...only attacks. How can we teach outright fanciful lies to our children?????
    PlaffelvohfenAmpersandcalebsicaZombieguy1987
  • There is an abundance of evidence to support that evolution unites all of biology. This is just one piece of evidence among millions of others: https://www.realclearscience.com/lists/10_greatest_ideas_in_the_history_of_science/scientific_revolutions.html

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    GilGadson said:
    I despise bullies. And the Scientific community that promotes Evolution are for the most part bullies. They use their influential positions of power( Their degrees and years of so-called experience inEvolution) to intimidate, make people feel and uninformed to press their agenda.

Evolution is a belief akin to religion. 

Uh, no. Evolution, unlike religion, is based off hunderds of studies, and backed alot of evidence. All religion has is a holy book, which even then, isn't AT ALL reliable evidence to disporve evolution.

Most don't know that the community is rife in their history with frauds,outright fallacies, non-publications of other leading scientists, geneticists, etc... who differ in their belief and opinion....and mos of all.. statements made as if they are fact. The most famous being " Evolution is a fact!!" when they have not one iota to prove it.

But they have, hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of times already!

Very simply.. if we " Evolved there should unquestionably be millions or even billions of fossils showing some sort of transitional beings. Most don't know that out of all the millions of fossils found, not one " Transitional" one has been found. Not one!!!!    And yet the Evolution community constantly talks about the fossil record A record of what? Old bones? I am not being argumentative and have no intention of insulting anyone. I just wish many woulsdseriously do their homework truly examine what evolution purports to be fact and the limitless complexity of life that could not just " happen" . There is so much more to say but I guarantee that I will be attacked viciously. personally and there won't be one iota of talk scientifically defending evolution with facts...only attacks. How can we teach outright fanciful lies to our children?????

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -   edited April 2019
    @GilGadson

That you cannot provide a single coherent argument to criticise a theory developed by thousands scientists over centuries, and hence get condescending responses, is not a result of "bullying"; it is merely a result of a low effort on your part. As working in science, I can tell you that one of the things we scientists despise (I say "despise", not "hate"; there is an essential difference) is when someone who has not put any effort into even understanding our theories comes in and says, "Guys, you are all wrong". We do not have time for dealing with such people, so we usually just send them away to study more. But they still do not relent, do they? So sometimes strong language becomes necessary.

If you can come up with a criticism worthy of attention, feel free to bring it in, and we will give it a thorough attention. We love questioning our conclusions, that is one of those things that makes science alive and dynamic. We just do not like it when random amateurs come across and claim something without knowing the basics; it is not entertaining.
  • There is, in fact, an abundance of evidence surrounding evolution. "Evolution by natural selection is such a rock-solid concept, that it is one of the ten greatest ideas in all of science."

• all4acttall4actt 315 Pts   -  
    Whether the evoluton man being taught in primary schools, which I believe was this debates original argument, should be taught depends on how it is being taught.

How are the schools teaching it?

I would think it would be difficult to teach at a primary level since the scienentific opinion on how it happened and where humans came from through new discoveries changes on a regular basis.

• @Dee You cannot just say there is mountains of evidence to support something than list no evidence whatsoever. This much 0. So why do *you* not list evidence? I would very much like to have a civil discussion over this subject. 
    Zombieguy1987
  • Theories can only be believed, for they have not been proven to be fact. Anyone who *believes* evil-polution (Evolution) to be fact is lying to themselves. It legitimately says, "The *theory* of Evolution". Please provide counter-evidence against my proofs, I'm bored and ready for some action. 
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987ZeusAres42
  •  @Plaffelvohfen Never use Ben's words for an argument as foolish and unthoughtful as this. Give me some proof that Evolution is fact and maybe I can help you see the light. 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @Plaffelvohfen Never use Ben's words for an argument as foolish and unthoughtful as this. Give me some proof that Evolution is fact and maybe I can help you see the light. 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @Dee You just said, "Accept as fact" as in is it a belief that they choose to put their faith in. Kind of counter-productive in our arguments Dee aren't we? 
  • @Plaffelvohfen You say this yet you have not listed a shred of evidence for the case of Evolution, if there is a case. Give me proof and we can actually hae a discussion rather than you just saying what you *BELIEVE* in and calling everyone ignorant. 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @MayCaesar Explain the method and how it dates objects. And then I can refute it, you can introduce sub-proofs, we can all be happy with the civil discussion we have created. And how does age have anything to do with Evolution. If you want to argue about the age of the Earth/universe I'd be happy to do that with you as well. 
  • BenShapirosCousinBenShapirosCousin 48 Pts   -   edited April 2019
    @Ampersand But you have no evidence for this *theory* I hear your kind talk so much about. You say it's fact and cannot be proven wrong and leave, no evidence. Present evidence and then we can have a civil discussion over the truth of the matter. 
    Zombieguy1987
    @calebsica ;  I f you teach science you have to include evolution it is science fact

• @billbatard How has it been proven good sir? 
    Zombieguy1987
  • kevin_burkekevin_burke 47 Pts   -  
    Evolution should be taught because it is true. I know Micro evolution is factual I can't say for with Macroevolution, there isn't sufficient evidence to back it up. The whole idea of evolution v. Intelligent design is still a widely debated topic in the scientific community. And because it is so widely debated both sides should be taught to the same extent so as to keep our society educated. And to let them decide for themselves which they believe to be true.
    Freedom of choice is always the answer in matters of uncertainty 
  • @piloteer What gives you the right to do the same with Evolution? 
    Zombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @BenShapirosCousin

You say ....you just said, "Accept as fact" as in is it a belief that they choose to put their faith in.

My reply ..Incorrect Faith is based on spiritual conviction Evolution is founded on mountains of scientific evidence 

You say .....Kind of counter-productive in our arguments Dee aren't we? 

My reply .....You certainly are I agree
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited April 2019
    @BenShapirosCousin

You say .....
    You cannot just say there is mountains of evidence to support something than list no evidence whatsoever

My reply ......Sure I can as it’s a subject in most  schools in Europe anyway , the only place it seems not to be so is in strictly Muslim countries and a scattering ofprimitive “educational models” in the Bible Belt in the U S 

You say ....This much 0. So why do *you* not list evidence? I would very much like to have a civil discussion over this subject. 

My reply .....I bet you’ve heard evidence already and you’re just attempting to troll but here you go if you have any queries take them up with the Khan academy I’m sure they would love to help .......https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology/her/evolution-and-natural-selection/a/lines-of-evidence-for-evolution

Zombieguy1987
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    @BenShapirosCousin

Actually you are the one making the claim "Evolution not a fact and there is no evidence for it" and you need to support your claim, not merely reiterating your unsupported beliefs while refusing to honestly engage in a debate.

So although I could simply insist you support your claim, I'll do you one better and show how your position is of course impossible due to the masses of evidence available refuting it, which you can see by literally googling it and getting a basic layman's summary (with supporting evidence) two seconds later: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

Of course if you want to view actual scientific studies assessing the evidence for evolution then these are.readily available through the scientific portal of your choice e.g.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC373105/
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982204004464
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982216306601

To provide just a few of the countless tens of thousands of research papers supporting evolution.

If you want to know more why don't you read one of the dedicated scientific journals based around evolution like the Journal of Human Evolution https://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-human-evolution which on a monthly basis provides new peer reviewed scientific research regarding human evolution?
    kevin_burkeZombieguy1987ZeusAres42
    @Ampersand
    When you refer to your supporting evidence is this evidence based around micro evolution which there is mountains of evidence for. Or macro evolution for which there is nothing but theories supporting it. Their main claim is that fossil evidence, and yet they don't have any fossils in a transition stage from one species to another.
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -   edited April 2019
    @kevin_burke

There are massive amounts of transitional fossils and that you think otherwise shows you are indoctrinated and have never actually looked at the evidence to consider this with an open mind.

Here are some peer reviewed scientific studies discussing various transitional fossil finds:

Zhao, Jingxia, et al. "Transitional fossil earwigs-a missing link in Dermaptera evolution." BMC Evolutionary Biology 10.1 (2010): 344.

Lyson, Tyler R., et al. "Transitional fossils and the origin of turtles." Biology Letters 6.6 (2010): 830-833.

Liu, Xingyue, Dong Ren, and Ding Yang. "New transitional fossil snakeflies from China illuminate the early evolution of Raphidioptera." BMC evolutionary biology 14.1 (2014): 84.

Rook, Deborah L., et al. "Lower jaw of the early Paleocene mammal Alveugena and its interpretation as a transitional fossil." Journal of Paleontology 84.6 (2010): 1217-1225.

Yang, Ben, et al. "Transitional Ediacaran–Cambrian small skeletal fossil assemblages from South China and Kazakhstan: implications for chronostratigraphy and metazoan evolution." Precambrian Research 285 (2016): 202-215.

Nyberg, Kevin G., Charles N. Ciampaglio, and Gregory A. Wray. "Tracing the ancestry of the great white shark, Carcharodon carcharias, using morphometric analyses of fossil teeth." Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 26.4 (2006): 806-814.

Andrews, Henry N., and Karen S. Alt. "A New Fossil Plant from the New Albany Shale with Some Comments on the Origin of Land Vascular Plants. Part 1. Crocalophyton, A New Transitional Sea-Land Plant." Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 43.4 (1956): 355-378.

Crepet, William L., and Kevin C. Nixon. "Extinct transitional Fagaceae from the Oligocene and their phylogenetic implications." American Journal of Botany 76.10 (1989): 1493-1505.

If for some reason they weren't good enough I could provide a hundred more and then a thousand after that.

Please don't bother replying with any more unsupported nonsense. If you're going to have a debate on any subject you should at least familiarise yourself with the basic facts about it otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time.
    Plaffelvohfen

• I can give you some evidence about how the US ranks very low in terms of accepting the facts of evolution among the majority of westernized countries:  https://www.realclearscience.com/lists/settled_science_that_is_controversial/evolution_unites_all_of_biology.html?state=stop

@Ampersand
    Those examples are interesting but they are transitional fossils of an animal evolving with in its species. The transitional fossils that are missing for macro evolution are the transitional fossils of like a monkey changing into a man. Or a velociraptor turning into our modern day bird. The transition of a water beast that shows signs of changing to a land creature. They have few fossils that they theorize were in that state but those fossils could very well have been amphibious. They lack the macro-evolution evidence.   
    @Ampersand I know the basic facts and much more because I have studied the topic for fun. Some of those links were links to books I could not read and some were examples of microevolution. Note the wording in this link that you posted " 
    Rook, Deborah L., et al. "Lower jaw of the early Paleocene mammal Alveugena and its interpretation as a transitional fossil." Journal of Paleontology 84.6 (2010): 1217-1225." Note the word interpretation. We all have the same evidence, but we interpreted differently. Remember fossils don't count as evidence because you can't prove that those fossils had any kids. Evolution is unobserved and cannot be tested the same way as we cure diseases.
    Zombieguy1987kevin_burke