frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The earth is flat

Debate Information

I'm not satisfied with modern scientism's explanation for the "universe". I've searched the internet for two years now and the only proof I've found for such is pseudoscience and other logical fallacies. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. What I'm looking for is actual curvature or axial rotation from independent, non-manipulated imagery or logic. Such from government sources and space agencies are demonstrably unreliable.
natbaronspassedbillrandaltherepale5melanielustjoecavalrymarijuansmuchoweasearthsshapeand 13 others.
  1. Live Poll

Is the earth flat?

38 votes
    1. Of course!
      18.42%
    2. But, muh science book!
      81.58%
Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Why do you think you live on a spinning ball?
    natbaronspassedbillJuicyMelonTechSilverishGoldNovafeaChristEmeryPearsonZombieguy1987
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    I agree with @Erfisflat . There are cover up claims of the NASA applo moon launch. Maybe images taken from space of the Earth are also counterfeit. That is one of the best cases for the Earth being some what round. Although gravity could have involvement in a flat Earth.
    passedbillSilverishGoldNovaErfisflatfeaEmeryPearsonZombieguy1987
  • passedbillpassedbill 80 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat , the Earth is round. There were pictures taken from space of the Eartha me it proves that the Earth is in fact round. Also, there are thing she that depend on a round earth such as ships and travel. If the earth was flat they would fly right of into space. 
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNovaZombieguy1987
    @passedbill  saw a picture of a unicorn the other day, but I know full well they don't exist. In the flat earth model, the north pole is the middle of a circle, with south all straight lines away from there. East and west are only relative. So circumnavigation is entirely possible on a flat earth. On a ball earth however, pilots get to a certain altitude and LEVEL out. On a ball they would fly out in space, do you know how much a ball that it 25,000 miles in circumference should curve down in say, 10 miles?
    randalSilverishGoldNovaChrist

Wayne Dyer
  • randalrandal 67 Pts   -  
    That's a good find @Erfisflat . You made a wonderful point that even persuades me of your side a little. Although, you have to rember that there were images, which are not counterfeit taken of earth in space which clearly display its circular shape.
    Erfisflat
    @randal
    NASA openly admits that they're all Photoshop . Like i say, there are pictures of unicorns and 200 foot gorillas out there, but that goes against our common senses. Water has never been found in humped form on any measurable scale, but it should be, in order for the earth to be a ball that is 25,000 miles in circumference. Research flat earth theory, don't take my word for it. Stay away from the flat earth society though, it's run by shills.
    therepSilverishGoldNovaChristabhs

Wayne Dyer
  • thereptherep 61 Pts   -  
    There are many pictures of the earth from different aeuronatuics orgainizations.
    Erfisflat
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    @therep

Pictures are not proof of anything. You can go see the death star for about $10 now,  is that evidence for its existence?
    Christ

Wayne Dyer
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat, I have to admit that I didnt hear about this consipracy theory before and after researching it a bit it seems that its a legitimate movement that sincerely belives he earth is flat.
    the movement has grown by 200 people a year since 2009, so I have to believe it is still a very small number of consipracy theorists...

http://www.livescience.com/24310-flat-earth-belief.html

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,1324.msg1312141.html#msg1312141

I personally will argue that there is a larger chance of us being Startrek hologram characters than Earth actually being flat.  I did see on the society site they have pretty nice rebuttals about frequent points about earth being round, so I will not attempt to actually debate this point.  
    My only argument will have to be that NASA, Russia, Elon Musk, SpaceX, all telescope people,,etc conspiring on this is pretty unlikely.
    ErfisflatAlwaysCorrectEmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Google space?   Why not use a telescope to examine other planets and see how they are round. After that, What makes our planet the ONLY planet that is flat?
    melanielustriddle12ErfisflatCovenySnakesOfferingApplesSilverishGoldNova1Hacker0
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Plus, There are alot of things we don't know about the earth like the pilot thing and why that happens. This doesn't just mean you can insert flat earth there. Like some theists use the god of the gap, While the earth other logical ones don't.  Some flat earthers use the 'flat earth' of the gaps. While the logical ones [knowing they have no legit proof]only say 'I know this and this about the earth from what i have learned, But i think the earth is like this and this.'
    Erfisflatriddle12AlwaysCorrect
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Logic said:
    Google space?   Why not use a telescope to examine other planets and see how they are round. After that, What makes our planet the ONLY planet that is flat?
    Right - good point @Logic.  While we cannot show Earth is round what Is rationale for us being the only flat planet.  This flat Earth theory is pretty weird and really difficult to defend
    riddle12AlwaysCorrectSilverishGoldNovaErfisflat
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
    agsr said:
    @Erfisflat, I have to admit that I didnt hear about this consipracy theory before and after researching it a bit it seems that its a legitimate movement that sincerely belives he earth is flat.
    the movement has grown by 200 people a year since 2009, so I have to believe it is still a very small number of consipracy theorists...

http://www.livescience.com/24310-flat-earth-belief.html

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,1324.msg1312141.html#msg1312141

I personally will argue that there is a larger chance of us being Startrek hologram characters than Earth actually being flat.  I did see on the society site they have pretty nice rebuttals about frequent points about earth being round, so I will not attempt to actually debate this point.  
    My only argument will have to be that NASA, Russia, Elon Musk, SpaceX, all telescope people,,etc conspiring on this is pretty unlikely.
    oh, flat earth is much bigger than just a few hundred people look it up on Google trends. The flat earth society website is run by shills. Those few organizations are in fact conspiring,  but what do "telescope people" have to do with the earth shape? Sounds like a red herring. Likewise, the likelihood of a conspiracy is another red herring. There are actual people doing experiments try in to find curvature, what should be there, isnt.
    ChristEmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Logic yet another logical fallacy. Looking at lights in the sky proves nothing about the ground you walk on. That's like looking at the billiard balls and stating that the table is spherical too. In all actuality, you can not see them as spheres anyway. When I say the earth is flat, I mean the entire heliocentric model is false. We've all been duped. There's nowhere else to go.
    LogicSnakesOfferingApplesChristEmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @ale5. It's not that difficult to defend, it's common sense. When you look at the horizon, what shape is it? When we observe liquid physics, we see it's always flat. Lakes, oceans, it's all flat.
    Wolfgang666Christ

Wayne Dyer
    @Logic
    Error 404: argument not found
    Christ

Wayne Dyer
    So that's it? Red herrings and "muh pictures"? Surely there is demonstrable evidence for such a widely accepted scientific "fact". Doesn't look good for atheists!

Wayne Dyer
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    Let's look at how the earth being flat makes no sense.

All objects in the universe have a center of gravity. And when matter gravitates towards that center, it comes in from all surrounding points possible on a plane. So what does this mean for outer space? SInce the scale of that empty space is so large, any matter floating by would have to gravitate towards some center. That's how the earth was created; leftover matter from stellar activity (which I can explain in-depth if you'd like) gravitated, formed a center core, and eventually the heat and pressure from that core created enough mass to have a strong enough gravitational pull to compress all that matter together. And in the conditions of space, as explained, the only shape that could possibly take would be a sphere. If the earth was flat, what would the dimensions be? Where would it end? What support does it possibly have? How thick is it? How do you explain the consistency throughout the entire world of layers of crust and core found through digging and empirical, physical evidence? It just doesn't add up.

And we have that evidence when the earth takes a spherical shape. Look no farther than the sun. Why isn't the sun flat? Or the moon? We see the moon rotating constantly.

For your point about the horizon, it's not that hard to explain. The earth is simply extremely large. Think about it like this; if you look at the tip of your finger, it has a distinct shape and a curve. But if you zoom in on the tip of your finger with a microscope, you'll get close enough to see that the image flattens out. If you were an extremely microscopic organism standing on the tip of someone's finger, it would look like a flat horizon, too. Humans standing on earth are similar. We see a flat horizon, but it's round when you zoom out and get the bigger picture.

Another point; how do you explain those historic airplane flights that have gone around the world? We now know that it is possible to fly from one place in one direction, go all the way around, and arrive right back where you started but coming in from a different direction. That wouldn't be possible if the earth was a sphere.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, it's an uncommon one. Although I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (if you aren't then sorry)
    Erfisflatm_abusteit
    Also, when has NASA ever admitted they photoshopped pictures of earth?

I create space images on Photoshop all the time because there are some theories out there, such as black holes, where the only image that could be produced is digital. And not even for theories either - most pictures you see of our own galaxy, for example, are digitally generated and based off of what scientists have said are galaxies that most resemble our own. Sometimes scientists gather information on, say, a star, using radio technology and astrophysics-aligned math, but the telescope picture is small or too blurry because it's so far away. That's another instance where an artist would be given the information he needs to accurately digitally recreate an image of that star. There are a lot of fine reasons why NASA needs Photoshop, but I don't think any of them have ever had to do with images of the earth. If you know anything about that please say.
    Erfisflat
    For axial rotation, look no farther than the sky...the sun doesn't orbit the earth, the earth simply rotates so that we have different views of the sun. See this:
    http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/09/17/but-it-moves-how-we-know-the-e/
    Erfisflat
    "any matter floating by would have to gravitate towards some center. "

The only observable evidence of "gravity" is what goes up must come down. This contradicts a spherical earth. People knew the earth was flat for thousands of years. When Aristotle first postulated that the earth was round, they probably didn't think that someone would be living on the underside of it. Then, when that was realized, some magical "force" was needed to explain how this could be. Enter Newton and his answer with his theory, that supported Aristotle's initial theory, which had since graduated to an assumption. What you are try in to do now is prove the assumption with the theory. It's ok to make some assumptions to form a theory, but eventually you should prove the assumption.

"That's how the earth was created; "

Another assumption.. along with "space" which none of us have witnessed, what the core of the ball earth is, we've only dug 8 miles down, so it is NOT empirical, as you falsely stated. What if it's an infinite plane? 

As far as the horizon, if you were to rise in altitude, it would fall and curve away, unlike reality, which stays flat and eye level.

Circumnavigation was explained before. Look a couple of posts up.

"Also, when has NASA ever admitted they photoshopped pictures of earth"

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/about/people/RSimmon.html

http://thecoincidencetheorist.com/space/finding-sex-on-nasas-epic-earth-image-once-you-see-it-you-wont-unsee-it/

"For axial rotation, look no farther than the sky...the sun doesn't orbit the earth,"

Of course not, nothing "orbits the earth, the sun is small and close. It circuits around the north pole, lighting locally. This is provable by looking at crepuscular rays.

Wayne Dyer
    @melanielust

See above, I'm new here.
    Christ

Wayne Dyer
    Anyone else care to explain why they think they're a monkey on a spinning ball? 
    Wolfgang666SilverishGoldNovaChrist

Wayne Dyer
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat
    No, seriously, I think you are actually trolling here.  Especially with that name.  Erf is flat.  Obvious troll is obvious.  
    SilverishGoldNova
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @SuperSith89, I am actually enjoying his debate.  I was amazed to learn that it's an actual movement.  I don't buy it, but find it entertaining how passionate @Erfisflat and the movement feels about it.  
    It is also interesting that they don't accept anything as evidence to the contrary, citing conspiracy theories.
    melanielustSuperSith89LogicErfisflatSilverishGoldNova1Hacker0EmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
    SuperSith89 said: "Of course not, nothing "orbits the earth" - Erfisflat 2017The Moon (Insert gif of guys yelling ooooooooh!) the moon is following the sun @SuperSith89

You're just going to drop a link? I've shredded that list Long ago, some even here, pick your favorite for discussions. 

Wayne Dyer
    @agsr if there were verifiable evidence, I wouldn't be here.
    SilverishGoldNovaEmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @agsr if there were verifiable evidence, I wouldn't be here.
    WhyTrumpEmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    @Erfisflat I don't need to, you disregard it all in a conspiracy way.  Nothing you have 'shredded' was false in the first place.  I mean your seriously think it is because that is a pretty ignorant thing to do.  
    Erfisflat
    @SuperSith89. You googled it because you don't really know why you think you live on a spinning ball, do you? I'm no troll, but you appear to be at this point.

Wayne Dyer
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat, I am just curious what made you get into the "Earth is flat" and what other consipracy theiries you believe in?
    EmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
    @agsr I'm doing some land surveying, and I was curious as to how much the earth should curve down away from me over some distances in order for it to be a ball that is 25,000 miles in circumference. I did some math, did my research and found out some very interesting things. As far as other conspiracies, if they lie about the shape of the earth, they'd lie about anything. A few minutes of research and critical thinking tells me the entire society we live in is completely staged.
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    Globetards believe they live on a cartoon spinning ball in an infinite space vacuum. The only proof these mental defectives have are cartoon composites and computer generated images provided by the government, that they saw on the television. Globetards were indoctrinated to reject any notion of a God, or a higher power, and instead wave their hands while proclaiming that the earth they live on was created by a magical explosion because of... reasons. Globetards believe that the earth was formed right in the perfect area, a certain distance from the sun, known as the "Goldilocks zone". This area of their imaginary infinite space vacuum is where everything is just perfect for life to not only survive, but to thrive as well. And of course globetards choose to believe this is all completely due to random, cosmic luck. They also believe that this same random cosmic luck is what caused their ape brained ancestors to evolve from primates into the bright shiny globetards that they are today. Basically, their argument boils down to... "but, but, but muh science book!" They can't even agree on whether or not their cartoon spinning ball is a sphere, or an oblate spheroid.
    Just after the nearest globetard claiming the earth is actually pear shaped, they will then cite Neil Degrasse Tyson saying so as their proof. Another thing globetards can't seem to get straight is the height in which the supposed curvature becomes visible on their spinning cartoon pearoid. Some globetards will tell you they can see the curvature from on top of a mountain, while other globetards proclaim they can see the curvature from outside an airplane window. But the smartest of the globetards will contradict his fellow ball worshippers and proclaim that one must be much higher than that in order to see the supposed curvature of the magical tilting pearoid. This alone gives us some insight into the fast paced research of globetards. Because all they had to do at some point, was to open their minds and use the senses they were created with to find out. Despite this, these gullible globe guzzlers think they can make pronouncements about reality, even though they have never actually lived in it.  -FEA

Wayne Dyer
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat, are you able to post details of your research?
    EmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
    @agsr it would take a while, on which subject? FET, 9/11, Sandy hook, etc.?
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    The perpetuation of ball earth theory, just like Evolutionary Theory and the Big Bang Theory, has become more of a religion, an orthodoxy, than a science. People are expected not to question it, no matter what, at the risk of losing their job, breaking their careers, losing friends, being shunned by family, and being ridiculed by anyone who refuses to think for themselves. If anyone attempts to present scientific evidence contrary to the popularly held view, it is immediately dismissed as "conspiracy theory" or a "crazy religionist".

Anytime anyone refuses to even consider a contrary view to the popularly-held beliefs, you should highly question that view having any validity whatsoever, even more than other views. Valid viewpoints take both sides of an argument with equal weight and accept any potential new information and test it without bias against an overarching hypothesis. However, it is usually the views that cannot be supported by evidence that choose to take more of an ad-hominem attack by questioning the person's character rather than the evidence presented.

Wayne Dyer
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat, flat Earth theory. Sounds like you took specific measurements 
    Erfisflatjoecavalrym_abusteitEmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
    @agsr. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can accurately and easily determine the amount of curvature that should be present over any given distance. A simple formula can be used: (X^2)8" where X is the mileage. At a mere ten miles there should be a 66.6 foot drop. Coincidence? I think not.
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Haven't the greeks found a way to measure the curvature of the earth?
    Also, You are comparing to different things while i was comparing two of the same things.  i.e You compared billiard balls and the table, While i compared millions of planets to one planet.  Only from a theistic point of view can the earth be THIS special. And in my theistic point of view, God created many planets with different races, Different prophets on different worlds.  Our's isn't special.

ErfisflatSuperSith89
    Logic said:
    Haven't the greeks found a way to measure the curvature of the earth?
    Also, You are comparing to different things while i was comparing two of the same things.  i.e You compared billiard balls and the table, While i compared millions of planets to one planet. You cannot empirically know that those lights are physical terra firma, that information, again, comes from NASA and the heliocentric model. Assumptions and pseudoscience.  Only from a theistic point of view can the earth be THIS special. In my point of view earth is geocentric, and there is a firmament, which is mentioned several times in the Bible and is supported by the likes of Tesla amongst others. And in my theistic point of view, God created many planets with different races, Different prophets on different worlds.  Our's isn't special.

And the only evidence you have for this notion is CGI pictures from NASA.
    EmeryPearson

Wayne Dyer
    Wow I did that all wrong, sorry still learning. My responses are included in your quote.

Wayne Dyer
    They've added a "t" to plane and tricked us all for over 500 years.
    Logic

Wayne Dyer
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    1st comment:  No, If i were to use a telescope i could know they are spherical. 
    2nd :  No problem with your point of view, But i don't think the bible explicitly says the earth is flat does it? [Muslim here]
    3rd: LOL. 
    @Logic nope, it's impossible to be able to definitively tell that they are spherical terre firma through a telescope, this is a fact, you can't see  in 3 dimensions. For thousands of years they were known as the wandering stars.

Yes, the Bible is a flat earth book.

Wayne Dyer
    Globetards believe they live on a cartoon spinning ball in an infinite space vacuum. The only proof these mental defectives have are cartoon composites and computer generated images provided by the government, that they saw on the television. Globetards were indoctrinated to reject any notion of a God, or a higher power, and instead wave their hands while proclaiming that the earth they live on was created by a magical explosion because of... reasons. Globetards believe that the earth was formed right in the perfect area, a certain distance from the sun, known as the "Goldilocks zone". This area of their imaginary infinite space vacuum is where everything is just perfect for life to not only survive, but to thrive as well. And of course globetards choose to believe this is all completely due to random, cosmic luck. They also believe that this same random cosmic luck is what caused their ape brained ancestors to evolve from primates into the bright shiny globetards that they are today. Basically, their argument boils down to... "but, but, but muh science book!" They can't even agree on whether or not their cartoon spinning ball is a sphere, or an oblate spheroid.
    Just after the nearest globetard claiming the earth is actually pear shaped, they will then cite Neil Degrasse Tyson saying so as their proof. Another thing globetards can't seem to get straight is the height in which the supposed curvature becomes visible on their spinning cartoon pearoid. Some globetards will tell you they can see the curvature from on top of a mountain, while other globetards proclaim they can see the curvature from outside an airplane window. But the smartest of the globetards will contradict his fellow ball worshippers and proclaim that one must be much higher than that in order to see the supposed curvature of the magical tilting pearoid. This alone gives us some insight into the fast paced research of globetards. Because all they had to do at some point, was to open their minds and use the senses they were created with to find out. Despite this, these gullible globe guzzlers think they can make pronouncements about reality, even though they have never actually lived in it. -FEA

Wayne Dyer
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat  West - Take a picture of saturn with your telescope. 
    East Do the same, South do the same and finally North do the same. You can examine the ring on saturn and how it is a little rotated on the planet. 
    Erfisflat
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Question: Flat earthers believe there is a big ice wall surrounding the world, How come we haven't found it? And how thick is this ''Flat earth.''
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    Question: Flat earthers believe there is a big ice wall surrounding the world, How come we haven't found it? And how thick is this ''Flat earth.''
    Logic said:
    @Erfisflat  West - Take a picture of saturn with your telescope. 
    East Do the same, South do the same and finally North do the same. You can examine the ring on saturn and how it is a little rotated on the planet. 
    I'm not sure where the cardinal directions come into play, are you suggesting that anyone can see more of it than anyone else? The thing is supposedly a few million miles away. It's impossible even in your model. Have you seen what Saturn looks like in a telescope?  Here.

Rings don't necessarily mean spherical terra firma

Wayne Dyer
This Debate has been closed.

DebateIsland.com

| The Best Online Debate Experience!
© 2023 DebateIsland.com, all rights reserved. DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Experience! Debate topics you care about in a friendly and fun way. Come try us out now. We are totally free!

Contact us

customerservice@debateisland.com
Terms of Service

Get In Touch