frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is this really about equality, or maybe something else?

Debate Information

https://www-inman-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.inman.com/2019/05/17/house-passes-equality-act-in-step-toward-lgbt-housing-protections/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQDoAEC#aoh=15581257941683&amp_ct=1558126087264&csi=1&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.inman.com/2019/05/17/house-passes-equality-act-in-step-toward-lgbt-housing-protections/ 

"House passes Equality Act in step toward LGBT housing protections"

"As unbelievable as it may sound in the year 2019, it’s not currently illegal under U.S. federal law to deny housing to someone based on their sexual orientation or gender identity. But a new bill, the Equality Actseeks to change that, encoding anti-discrimination measures across industries, and today it passed the U.S. House of Representatives by a wide margin, 236 votes in favor to 173 against.

However, the Equality Act still has a long way to go to become the law of the land: the 100-member U.S. Senate would also need to vote to pass its own version of the bill and President Trump would need to sign it, and neither of those seem likely given that support for the act is mostly partisan: Only eight Republican Congresspersons in the House voted in favor of the Equality Act today, for example. The House is majority Democrat right now, while the Senate is majority Republican and President Trump is a Republican as well.

Nonetheless, supporters and advocates for lesbian, gay, transgender and queer rights (LGBTQ) celebrated today’s passage as a win, as previous versions of the bill were introduced in 1974, 2015, and 2017 never made it to a full vote on the House floor at all.

“This is a monumental step for the LGBT community in our continued fight for equality,” said Jeff Berger, founder of the professional advocacy group the National Association of Gay and Lesbian Real Estate Professionals, in a statement. “NAGLREP and our Policy Committee worked very closely with Congressman David Cicilline (D-RI), who sponsored the bill, along with the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus and the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) to generate awareness and support for the bill within the housing industry.”

Sexual orientation refers to straight, gay, lesbian or bi-sexual relationships, and gender identity refers people who identify as a woman, man, transgender or non-binary, according to GLAAD. "

"When looking toward the future, Berger told Inman that NAGLREP’s focus will be on getting the Act through the U.S. Senate, which is currently majority Republican."

“We’ll continue to raise awareness through the real estate community and the LGBT non-profit world,” he said. “One of the ways we’re accomplishing that is through our LGBT Housing Summits [with] the Human Rights Campaign in D.C.”

“We’ve also released the 2019 LGBT Real Estate Report that highlights the concerns that we’re presently facing in the LGBT in terms of discrimination in housing,” he added while citing that the LGBT homeownership rate is 49 percent — 15 percent below the national rate of 65 percent.

"Berger says it could take at least three years to pass the Equality Act through the Senate, after which it would go to the President’s desk for a final approval. Berger says the 2020 elections will determine the Equality Act’s short-term fate."

"The continuation of a Trump White House could spell disaster, especially considering the President’s comment about the Act being “filled with poison pills that threaten to undermine parental and conscience rights.

“I don’t agree with [President Trump’s] comment, and I don’t believe there should be any religious exemption from offering real estate services to LGBTs,” he said. “It doesn’t have any merit.” 

Is this, maybe in a sense, a way for some of the political representatives to pander to some of the public for future votes, via the passing of this "Equality Act Bill?"

There are various types of discrimination, that go on daily, like the illegal drug user, or the legalized drug user, who go about using their idrugs around their families? 

The discrimination of the illegal alien, or immigrant, by breaking some of the laws in the United States, when they, unlawfully come into the country illegally?

The discrimination of some of the lawful gun owners, and the illegal gun owning criminals, or offenders, who have used their guns, to commit their gun violence crimes with, against their, thousands of innocent victims? 

Where are those types of (Equality Bills) at, to help end those types of discrimination? 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Issuing a discrimination ban towards a certain group of people and not towards other groups of people, obviously, has little to do with equality. It also blatantly violates the rights of enterpreneurs to choose who to do business with.

I am a minority (immigrant), and I strongly disapprove of such pandering to minorities. I definitely would not want any laws that prevent enterpreneurs from not dealing with immigrants: the enterpreneurial freedoms in this country are one of the major reasons I immigrated here in the first place.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited May 2019
    @MayCaesar

What does this rhetoric from you have to do with these points of view? 

"Issuing a discrimination ban towards a certain group of people and not towards other groups of people, obviously, has little to do with equality. It also blatantly violates the rights of enterpreneurs to choose who to do business with.

I am a minority (immigrant), and I strongly disapprove of such pandering to minorities. I definitely would not want any laws that prevent enterpreneurs from not dealing with immigrants: the enterpreneurial freedoms in this country are one of the major reasons I immigrated here in the first place."

Why does there seem to be an apparent lack of interest, in creating such across the board, (Equality Bill acts) for the below nationwide problematic situations, that are, and have been plaguing the United States for decades now? 

There are various types of discrimination, that go on daily, like the illegal drug user, or the legalized drug user, who go about using their drugs around their families? 

The discrimination of the illegal alien, or immigrant, by breaking some of the laws in the United States, when they, unlawfully come into the country illegally?

The discrimination of some of the lawful gun owners, and the illegal gun owning criminals, or offenders, who have used their guns, to commit their gun violence crimes with, against their, thousands of innocent victims? 

Where are those types of (Equality Bills) at, to help end those types of discrimination?  

@TKDB

I am not sure what your questions have to do with my comment. I was simply talking about the unreasonability of issuing a special protection of one group of people that does not apply to all other groups of people, plus expressing my dislike of such protections in the first place when they infringe on the business rights, such as the right to do or not do business with whoever the enterpreneur pleases.

The questions you raise are not from the domain of equality, as they do not compare any categories of people to each other, seeking to equalize or de-equalize their rights. Your questions apply to all people in general.
    @MayCaesar

"plus expressing my dislike of such protections in the first place when they infringe on the business rights, such as the right to do or not do business with whoever the enterpreneur pleases."

Does the theme of this forum have anything to do with your individual talking points, no, they don't. 
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I don't think the government should give special protections to people, based on who they want to sleep with. While I have no ill will towards people who want to sleep with the same gender, I just think the government should stay out of this.
    @YeshuaRedeemed

Your argument, isn't what I was talking about.
    @MayCaesar

You're off topic.

The Sanctuary Cities, giving the illegal aliens, or immigrants sanctuary, is giving them a special protection, from ICE doing their jobs, yes or no? 
    @TKDB

I am off-topic? You asked a question about the LGBT housing protections, and I expressed what I think about them - and instead of responding to my argument, you kept talking about illegal immigrants which have absolutely nothing to do with LGBT housing protections.

I do not understand why you constantly engage in discussions or create them, only to always end up talking about illegal immigrants or drunk drivers no matter what the topic is.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @MayCaesar

Some of the LGBT community, via the Equality Act, are getting, special protections, via that equality act?

Just as the illegal aliens, or immigrants are getting special protections, via the Sanctuary Cities, and their individually applied Sanctuary City ideology actions?

Plus as I expressed before, the above actions are how some of the individual political representatives, are pandering to the public, via these special protection acts, for future votes? 
    @MayCaesar

Because all you do for the most part, is via your argument making tactic, is to twist a debate/ conversation to suit your individual platform?

I'm making arguments, that are overall, pro kid, children, pro family, pro public, pro law abiding, while, you go out of your way to argue, in order, to sustain, your individual, MayCaesar platform? 

"I do not understand why you constantly engage in discussions or create them, only to always end up talking about illegal immigrants or drunk drivers no matter what the topic is."
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @TKDB I have the right to free speech, and have done nothing wrong.
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -   edited May 2019
    The bill protects people of all sexualities including heterosexuals.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1447

This bill amends the Fair Housing Act (FHA) under the Civil Rights Act of 1968 to add sexual orientation and gender identity as classes protected against discrimination in the sale, rental, or financing of housing. (Currently, the FHA prohibits housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.)

The bill defines: (1) "gender identity" as gender-related identity, appearance, or mannerisms or other gender-related characteristics of an individual, without regard to the individual's designated sex at birth; and (2) "sexual orientation" as homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality.

Also even if it didn't, unequal protections only matter if people's needs aren't unequal too. I'm not going to complain that the government doesn't spend money targeting me for sickle cell anemia testing when I'm not part of the proportion of the population that is disproportionately at risk from sickle cell anemia.

Lastly legal tu quoque arguments are failures.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Ampersand

Why does there seem to be an apparent lack of interest, in creating such across the board, (Equality Bill acts) for the below nationwide problematic situations, that are, and have been plaguing the United States for decades now? 

There are various types of discrimination, that go on daily, like the illegal drug user, or the legalized drug user, who go about using their drugs around their families? 

• GenericNameGenericName 27 Pts   -  
    TK, those issues are not relevant to the topic.  The idea that if one bill does not address all possibly tangential issues then it lacks legitimacy is untenable and unreasonable.  It is, effectively, a form of derailing a conversation, especially when you are changing the definition of the word discrimination to make it effectively meaningless.

Do you have any issues with the actual bill in question, as it is written?
    piloteerPlaffelvohfen
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @GenericName

I created this specific forum, and my arguments are relevant to this forum.

Therefore, your below argument is off topic.

"TK, those issues are not relevant to the topic.  The idea that if one bill does not address all possibly tangential issues then it lacks legitimacy is untenable and unreasonable.  It is, effectively, a form of derailing a conversation, especially when you are changing the definition of the word discrimination to make it effectively meaningless."

And, I clearly presented my argument, with the original below arguments:

(There are various types of discrimination, that go on daily, like the illegal drug user, or the legalized drug user, who go about using their idrugs around their families? 

Where are those types of (Equality Bills) at, to help end those types of discrimination?)

Nope, but the above Equality Bills, should exist as well, along with this Bill:

"Do you have any issues with the actual bill in question, as it is written?"

You didn't actually address what I said, you simply repeated the sentiment I had responded to, then quoted but did not answerthe question I asked.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @GenericName

TKDB never does... 
    Applesauce
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
    @GenericName

I did, and you apparently dismissed it?

@Plaffelvohfen

"TKDB never does..."

More of your, rationalized perception sharing? 

TK, you truly didn't.  The extent of your response was declaring them relevant, but not responding to why I said they weren't.  That is repetition, not a response.

You also explicitly did not answer the question of whether or not you support this individual bill, on it's own merits, and written.  The bulk of your post was quoting you previously said.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @GenericName

So basically, youre pro LGBT rights, but when it comes to those who aren't, maybe LGBT oriented, their equal and fair treatment, is apparently irrelevant to you?  

And no Equality Bills against the discrimination of those kids, children, and those families, as was mentioned in my original talking points?

So in a sense your argument in regards to some of the LGBT community, is more important, than the below, original points of view? 

"TK, those issues are not relevant to the topic.  The idea that if one bill does not address all possibly tangential issues then it lacks legitimacy is untenable and unreasonable.  It is, effectively, a form of derailing a conversation, especially when you are changing the definition of the word discrimination to make it effectively meaningless."

And, I clearly presented my argument, with the original below arguments:

(There are various types of discrimination, that go on daily, like the illegal drug user, or the legalized drug user, who go about using their idrugs around their families? 

Where are those types of (Equality Bills) at, to help end those types of discrimination?)

Nope, but the above Equality Bills, should exist as well, along with this Bill:

"Do you have any issues with the actual bill in question, as it is written?" 

Yes, there should be additional Equality Bills for the talking points, that have been expressed already.

Your argument is unfair, and unequal. 

Tk, go back and actually read my post.  I did not posit a stance at any point.  I have no idea what you are even basing a lot of your comments on, as it cant be the substance of my posts.

You have also repeatedly ignored my criticism of the argument you keep repeating, about how your misuse of the term discriminate makes it essentially meaningless.  The situations you have described are largely not, by definition, discrimination, so to point to them in a conversation about a bill pertaining to discrimination is effectively an attempt to derail it.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @GenericName

When a criminal or an offender, commits a gun violence brutality crime, against another human being with a gun, that's not discrimination?

When a drug addict parent, or parents, are using their legalized, or illegal drugs (medicinal marijuana, recreational marijuana, cocaine, heroin, Opioids, meth, LSD, PCP, mushrooms, rock cocaine, crack cocaine, or are abusing their prescription drugs,) around their own kids, or families, or around the kids of other families, that's not discrimination?

And when an illegal alien, or immigrant, comes, into the United States illegally, they aren't discriminating against the very laws of the U.S?

Just because you haven't maybe viewed the word (Discrimination,) in those types of contexts before, doesn't make them meaningless.

"You have also repeatedly ignored my criticism of the argument you keep repeating, about how your misuse of the term discriminate makes it essentially meaningless."

"The situations you have described are largely not, by definition, discrimination, so to point to them in a conversation about a bill pertaining to discrimination is effectively an attempt to derail it."

The definition of the word "Discrimination"

(And check out the various contexts over the word "Discrimination.")

dis·crim·i·na·tion

noun
    noun: discrimination; plural noun: discriminations
    1. 1.
      the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
      "victims of racial discrimination"
      synonyms:prejudice, bias, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, unfairness, inequity, favoritism, one-sidedness, partisanship; More
      sexism, chauvinism, racism, racialism, anti-Semitism, heterosexism, ageism, classism;
      positive discrimination, reverse discrimination, ableism;
      historicalapartheid
      "victims of racial discrimination"
      antonyms:impartiality
    2. 2.
      recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.
      "discrimination between right and wrong"
      synonyms:differentiation, distinction, telling the difference
      "the discrimination between right and wrong"
      • the ability to discern what is of high quality; good judgment or taste.
        "those who could afford to buy showed little taste or discrimination"
        synonyms:discernment, judgment, perception, perceptiveness, perspicacity, acumen, astuteness, shrewdness, judiciousness, insight, subtlety; More
        selectivity, (good) taste, fastidiousness, refinement, sensitivity, cultivation, culture, culturedness, connoisseurship, aestheticism
        "those who could afford to buy showed little taste or discrimination"
      • PSYCHOLOGY
        the ability to distinguish between different stimuli.
        "discrimination learning" 

So some, can play games with a word, but words, don't play games with their own word, or their own definition, they are always true to themselves.

Plaffelvohfen