frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

In a Corporate environment is public recognition better for employee morale than a pay raise?

Debate Information

When you work for a large corporation, there are always ups and downs throughout your career. In a positive side, there is financial recognition, recognition from your management, and occasional visible internal awards for doing a great job. All are important for ensuring great employee morale. But as an employee, what would you appreciate more a nice pay raise, or a very visible broad formal internal recognition award?
DebateIsland
  1. Live Poll

What will employee appreciate more?

15 votes
    1. A nice pay raise
      33.33%
    2. Formal visible recognition award from top level management
      66.67%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• I would want money more.
  • skidoe_1029skidoe_1029 12 Pts   -  
    Well, I would appreciate the recognition more than the pay. If I would have an option I would take both.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I think the answer depends on the seniority level of employee and if employee is struggling financially. Assuming that it is a mid-level+ employee, there are no financial struggles, and person is looking for a longer term career then I believe the recognition is the way to go. Recognition has to be meaningful and formally celebrated. Referring to the Maslow hierarchy of needs we know that the ultimate goal is self-actualization. Recognition will be part of that goal fulfillment.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • That is an amazing point agsr, also I like your other poll. I also love this website! I may tell people about this and recommend this. I followed the social media accounts for it as well. I shared it on my profile as well as some debates that are yours agsr and others. This website is amazing, much better than the others. It is much more simple. I don't have time to debate for a week on debate.org and write college essays. I just want a place for casual Debating and this is perfect. The team that made the website is amazing.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Alookatjobs_19, thanks for your point. I also agree that this website is great and much better than the complicated traditional debate sites. In the age of twitter, not sure who wants to spend weeks getting formal responses to long essays. DebateIsland.com has the right recipe.
    As far as specific debate, I don't remember all the times I got a nice raise and a nice bonus in my career, but I do remember how great I felt every time I was publically formally recognized in front of my peers...that is a humbling experience that makes you feel great about yourself and the Company you work for.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • almskkwo1920almskkwo1920 12 Pts   -  
    That's a great point agsr, i agree with you.
  • lapxoaka_19lapxoaka_19 12 Pts   -  
    Good point agsr, I agree with you as well.
  • bnyjstock1bnyjstock1 18 Pts   -  
    Money will be spent and forgotten. The award will live forever, even if it is only in the mind of the recepient.
  • bnyjstock1bnyjstock1 18 Pts   -  
    And love this site!
    aarong
  • amnx_1039amnx_1039 2 Pts   -  
    I also love this website, it's amazing! I would take the recognition as well. bnyjstock1 and agsr made great points.
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    Agreed with recognition as preferred choice. Bnyjstock1 said it simply and best.
  • I would want the recognition. Money will be spent, the recognition may last longer.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Excellent turnout for this debate. 75% of debateIslanders agree that employee recognition is better than comp. I hope corporate HR executives are listening to this debate and taking notes.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • mdkak_19192mdkak_19192 2 Pts   -  
    I would prefer a raise when compared to simple recognition.
  • I think raise is always good, but a formal recognition is much better for employee morale and that's what I prefer.