frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why do people believe God exists?

Debate Information

I don't understand how someone can genuinely believe in God's existence, what evidence is there to support it? The entire concept of a God is man made and quite frankly I find it no more realistic than Santa Claus. 
MayCaesarAlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    Because they do and can, kids, children, teenagers, parents, adults, and senior citizens alike.

They go to church, or mass each week. It's a family, it's a community, it's a fellowship, its feeding the homeless, and providing shelter as well. 

And I have as of yet, to see one anti religious person in the news for protesting a church in person, and being questioned by the media for why they are protesting said church? 
    PlaffelvohfenDeePolaris95AlofRI
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Mostly because they’re indoctrinated, take a child from infancy and expose him /her daily with religious nonsense and it becomes a part of them , broader society with similar views reinforce this belief. Most children when exposed to this nonsense have not the ability or reasoning powers to challenge it , the whole religious racket relies on getting them young and pliable 
    AlofRI
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Well, of course if someone is taught from the cradle that there is such a thing as a god they'll believe it, like with Santa... But people grow out of the belief in Santa without too much problems, right?

The question then becomes why do people continue to believe in god well into adulthood...

I think it's because many people just can't cope with the absurdity of Existence and can't deal with their own mortality... Many people cannot handle the fact that there is no point to Existence, that there is no ultimate purpose... This realization can be traumatic for some people, and that is what I think "faith" is just a coping mechanism, a self-enabled delusion...
    DylanPolaris95AlofRI
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • IshaanKhalapIshaanKhalap 15 Pts   -  
    People believe in religion because they need a way to live where they don’t have to figure out everything for themselves. Religion lays out some of the things you should do in life.

If people were not so , things like the 10 commandments wouldn’t be necessary though. People can use religion as a long term moral code or a way of living day to day life. When using the morals, values, and principles a religion teaches, you become a better person.

Whether it be words from the Bible, New Testament, The Vedas, or the Quran, the values are what are most important in the 21st century, with technological and social advances we previously did not have.

It seems that now people need religion less for god, and more for themselves.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    I have wondered that myself ever since I learned the concept of "god" at the age of 6. It is hard for me to understand how someone can believe in something based on one ancient book full of wild stories about angels and talking snakes.

Santa Claus, at least, presented somewhat of a mystery for me, since I actually would find the presents under the Christmas tree. I suspected that it was my parents who put them there, but still, there was, at least, some way to spin it around! With god, it seems that people literally use dreams as evidence.
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRI
  • DylanDylan 61 Pts   -   edited May 2019
    @TKDB

That's not the question, that does not prove the existence of God. Just because someone "can" believe that God exists that doesn't actually prove anything, religion is entirely Faith based without any actual logical reasoning or evidence. 
    AlofRI
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    What proves God does not existence. Just because someone "can" believe that God does not exist doesn't actually prove anything.
    Nevertheless, contrary to what most people think Faith is based on evidence.
    Hebrews 11:1 - "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

The evidence is in the building blocks of life:
    DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid), RNA (ribonucleic acid), and proteins.
    The likelihood that one of these building blocks came by chance is astronomical, simular to 1 in one quattuordecillion.

Researchers have recreated in the laboratory the environmental conditions that they believe existed early in the earth’s history. In these experiments, a few scientists have manufactured some of the molecules found in living things.
    If the chemicals in the experiment represent the earth’s early environment and the molecules produced represent the building blocks of life, whom or what does the scientist who performed the experiment represent?

Obviously, the scientist represents and intelligent designer, or most people like to call him, God.

Life always comes from preexisting life.

So every experiment done by man to build life, is evidence that an intelligent designer made man.

AlofRI
  • DylanDylan 61 Pts   -  
    @Sand

Humans being capable of manufacturing a few molecules found in living organisms is not definitive proof of a God. None of us really know how anything came to be or what happens when we die, God and religion in general are entirely man made concepts filled with things that defy all logic. Simply not understanding the world around us or how any of it came to be does not prove the existence of God especially when the very idea of "him" was made by man.   
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    You would never find definitive proof pro or con, because no one lived during that time.
    We can only make an informed decision.
    Looking at the complexity of life that man is incapable of producing points to an intelligent designer.
    DylanAlofRI
  • DylanDylan 61 Pts   -  
    @Sand

That's an appeal from ignorance fallacy. Just because we don't understand the complexities of life or our world does not mean God. 

There's actually a rather good video on the topic that probably addresses some points you would make like this one that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaVIOCsJPjM
    PlaffelvohfenPolaris95
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I believe in Jesus, because He died on the cross to pay for my sins, and rose from the dead, to give me victory, over sin, and death. How can I refuse His Heart, when He loves freely? I don't want to, for Jesus, is the love of my life.
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    >>>That's an appeal from ignorance fallacy. Just because we don't understand the complexities of life or our world does not mean God. 
    Eventually they will have the knowledge. But what will it prove, that it take less knowledge or more knowlege.
    Obviously more knowledge, which points to a more intelligent designer.
    Now you can ignore the facts, looking for definitive.

Think about what kind of evidence you would need for a definitive answer?
    No written thesis, no video, no experiment, or rock formation would be definitive.
    You would have to be literally watching it occur.
    Thats definitive, but that will never happen because nobody can rewind time.

But, evolutionists admit that the probability of the right atoms and molecules falling into place to form just one simple protein molecule is 1 in 10^113, or 1 followed by 113 zeros.
    Think about that. Think about it. That number is larger than the estimated total number of atoms in the universe!

"Impossible" is calculated by mathematicians as 1 in 10^50.

But far more than one simple protein molecule is needed for life.
    Some 2,000 different proteins are needed just for a cell to maintain its activity, and the chance that all of them will occur at random is 1 in 10^40,000.

This number grows as we learn more.
    Nevertheless, people keep saying we need proof.
    It is way past impossible, and growing.
    The more we learn, the more we discovery you need intention, therefore intellect,  therefore intelligence, therefore God.

If you are truly objective, and honestly want an answer.
    Everything points to an intelligent designer.
    The alternative could be possible, its chances are just 1 in 10^40,000.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Sand

You say ......

My reply .....That’s your subjective view , you’re claiming for one to be “truly objective “ one has to accept your opinion on the mattter and then worse still you’re claiming those who disagree with you are not honestly seeking an answer 

Everything in your opinion points to an intelligent designer what is the nature of this intelligent designer and how do you know it’s nature?

Who created the intelligent designer?
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRI
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    Good point dee!
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    >>>That's an appeal from ignorance fallacy. Just because we don't understand the complexities of life or our world does not mean God. 
    Eventually they will have the knowledge. But what will it prove, that it take less knowledge or more knowlege.

No written thesis, no video, no experiment, or rock formation would be definitive.

But, evolutionists admit that the probability of the right atoms and molecules falling into place to form just one simple protein molecule is 1 in 10^113, or 1 followed by 113 zeros.
    Think about that. Think about it. That number is larger than the estimated total number of atoms in the universe!

Some 2,000 different proteins are needed just for a cell to maintain its activity, and the chance that all of them will occur at random is 1 in 10^40,000.

The more we learn, the more we discovery you need intention, therefore intellect,  therefore intelligence, therefore God.

PlaffelvohfenAlofRI
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Sand

You say ....Good point dee!

My reply ......I’m glad it has helped you see clearly the errors of your thinking and you’re most welcome 
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  

Plaffelvohfen
  • NeopesdomNeopesdom 157 Pts   -  
    People that believe in God tend to be more in touch with reality. Unlike those that don't, who may suffer, psychologically speaking, from some form of ODD (Oppositional defiant disorder), very similar to a disobedient child rebelling from their parents authority. 

Risk Factors which may trigger ODD:
    Familial discord, Dysfunctional home life, Exposure to violence, History of mental illness within the family, Exposure to substance abuse, Inconsistent parenting (inconsistent discipline, inconsistent interaction, etc.), Abuse / neglect. - https://www.valleybehavioral.com/disorders/odd/signs-symptoms-causes/

Even some traumatic experience with authority sometime in their past could trigger ODD, which may also result in some form of cognitive dissonance. An underlying factor could even include Temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE).

If not a physical malfunction in the brain itself, ODD may stem from a deep seeded insecurity. Atheists have a strange tendancy to go out of their way to convince others that life has no point, as if to draw others towards them in an attempt to cope with their own innate loneliness and apparent pointless existence. 

Of course, there is a HUGE literature (mostly from the US) that shows that people who are religious (again, mostly Christian people in the US) experience many mental and physical health benefits. The most impressive finding is that religious service attendance is related to lower mortality rate even after controlling for many factors such as drinking, smoking, physical disease, etc. There are other relationships between religion and health supported by the research as well (see Powell, Shahabi, & Thoresen, 2003 American Psychologist, Vol 58, no. 1).  - https://www.researchgate.net/post/Is_there_any_relationship_between_Atheism_and_Mental_Health

Sandethang5
    giphy.gif 1014.6K
      “Never argue with an id'iot They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Prove it.

Go to a church, and interview the parishioners, or the minister, preacher, rabbi, or priest, and question them about your indoctrination theory?

"Mostly because they’re indoctrinated"

I've been to some churches, and didn't see any indoctrination going on?

And I also have yet to see any anti religious individual, or individuals, going to a religious building to request an interview, to see if their indoctrination theory can hold its own water, in a real world interview with those individuals who voluntarily go to church, and are doing nothing wrong?
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -   edited June 2019
    None of the attempts at answers here hit the point. Indoctrination of kids? The indoctrinator was once a kid, who indoctrinated him? At some point we must have had theists who were never indoctrinated. Where did they come from?

And how did theism take over the world? If, as atheists say, it is so unconvincing?

People believe in God because they can feel Him. God is intuitive.

Human beings have never had an intrinsic desire for a non-existent thing.

Science has shown us that it is our environment that causes a desire in us. For example, food exists, thus therefore hunger. Sex exists, therefore lust. Others exist, therefore we desire companionship. Dangers exists, so we desire safety. The elements make us desire shelter.

What makes us desire God?

Every culture on Earth since the beginning of time has developed a God narrative. We have made customs, built temples, formed rituals, written poems and songs about God. Man desires God.

Man's desire for God is a natural response to God in our environment. Just as our desire for water is the natural response to thirst.

People believe God exists because they feel the desire within themselves, and know without having to be told, that the desire could not be there unless the stimulus causing that desire also exists.
    Sand
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    A few years ago most thought the world was flat. A few years ago most thought that the sun revolved around the Earth … and the religions INSISTED on it. 
    We don't have ALL the answers today, but we have a whole lot more than we had then. I believe it was Galileo that was imprisoned for going against the religious doctrine?? The man who said: " I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use."

The Santa Claus thing … We find that tapering away because, over the years we thought about him once a year. With "God" being driven into our heads week after week, it is much harder for the concept to "taper away" (but it is, slowly). With, during the week, hearing about the "miracles" that a person survived (and ignoring that a dozen or more died), it just reinforces the god concept, but, it happens, seemingly, every week. I heard no talk of miracles when the creature walked into the church, prayed with the people there, then killed all he could.  "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able"??? "Is he able, but not willing"???

The same things happen under the "other god (s)". There has been NO "visits" from ANY of them. When one does, I'll believe. 'Til then, I'll drink to Galileo.

As for the universe I will say again: If something as complex as God can exist without a creator, why can't something as complex as the universe exist without a creator? ( Likely, because we don't go to church every week and are told that it exists … because the Bible tells me so. )
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    >>>As for the universe I will say again: If something as complex as God can exist without a creator, why can't something as complex as the universe exist without a creator?
    The answer to your question is a simple one. Who says God does not have a creator? Just because he doesn't tell us of one, doesn't mean that he doesn't have one.
    To go the other way it would mean that everything could exist without a creator, houses, cars, boats, planes, computers, etc. These things are very less complex than life, yet no one would believe they were not created.

>>>"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able"??? "Is he able, but not willing"???
    God is able but not willing. If you read and study the Bible you will know the chanenge placed agains God. That man only serves God for selfish reasons, man can rule without God and be successful. In order to prove this man must be allow to try every form of Government outside of God rule.
    That is why God does not interfere.
    Man has tried every form of Government without success of peace. Anarchy, Aristocracy, Bureaucracy, Capitalism, Colonialism, Communism, Democracy, Federalism, Feudalism, Kleptocracy, Meritocracy, Military Dictatorship, Monarchy, Oligarchy, Plutocracy, Republicanism, Socialism, Theocracy, Totalitarianism, Tribalism, and actually more than these.
    After all man's efforts have been exausted, the answer to the challenge will be clear. God will establish his Government on his timeline.
    God from then on will interfere for good.

>>>The same things happen under the "other god (s)". There has been NO "visits" from ANY of them. When one does, I'll believe. 'Til then, I'll drink to Galileo.
    You are saying that seeing is believing. Which if you read the Bible that is not true. The Jews saw did not believe, each of them claiming once they see they would believe
    They were shown over and over again, still without belief.
    So we know if God did come and 'visit' you, you would doubt, and ask for a sign. He would give it, you will doubt, and ask for a miracle. He would give it, you will doubt, and ask for a prophecy. He will give it. And even if you believe in any of these steps, when he leaves you go back to your original thinking. This is seen with Nebuchadnezzar, this is seen with Pharoah, this is seen with the Jews, and it is seen today. The Bible has actual prophecy written in it. What do people do, doubt.

John 20:29 - Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."
    Jesus said this because, it is not the sight, nor the miracle, nor the sign, nor the prophecy that changes a person.
    These things only strengthen belief. The person themselves will have to change.
    A famous quote states something simular "A person convinced against their will is of the same mind still".
    The person themselves would have to change their will, or heart.

Romans 1:21 - Because they knew God, and they did not glorify him as God, nor did they give him thanks, but they became destitute in their reasoning and became dull in their heart without understanding.
    Despite where the facts are leading, people of a certain line of thinking will become desitute in their reasoning because they refuse to follow the path to the conclusion, God is real.
    That is why everyone must be objective not bias.
    We must allow the facts to speak.
    Then follow the path to the end.
  • DannykhanDannykhan 7 Pts   -  
    @Sand ;
    Proving God existence 
    let's take the universe for example, the universe is contingent meaning it has to deepen on another independent existence which is God