frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Say a prayer

Debate Information

many people contend that praying to god works; however is it not more-than-likely that it is just the positive belief of prayer working, the positive energy of the brain that is creating what ever occurs with the prayer rather than god doing it?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    You say ...

..many people contend that praying to god works; however is it not more-than-likely that it is just the positive belief of prayer working,

My reply ....The results are exactly the same and what one expect ( me anyway)  between those who pray and those who do not 

You say .....the positive energy of the brain that is creating what ever occurs with the prayer rather than god doing it?

My reply ......If a god is responsible for prayer working one would have to reasonably ask why the prayers of unfortunates in places like Auschwitz went unanswered 
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Yes, it is more than likely that it's only a placebo effect... 

Now, I don't get what you mean by "the positive energy of the brain that is creating" , what kind of energy? Can we measure it? 
    Dee
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    Too@Dee your latter half of your reply  has nothing to do with my post ; as well with your expertise in debate I would think you would have taken the other side for a change 
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @the brain creates all kinds of energy 
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @every thought we think, is created by energy; and one can think positive or negative and this energy can be measured 
    maxx said:
    @the brain creates all kinds of energy 
    I don't think so... There's a lot of electrical and chemical activity going on in the brain yes, but the brain itself doesn't "create" any energy...  Thoughts are not a form of energy, they're really just electro-chemical reactions... 
    Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

You say .....our latter half of your reply  has nothing to do with my post ;

My reply .....It has everything to do with it as your were the one mentioned prayer related to a god didn’t you?

You say .....as well with your expertise in debate I would think you would have taken the other side for a change 

My reply .....I take the side that seems most reasonable and have done so again
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @Dee either you are missing my point or misconstruing the idea of a debate. Are you agreeing with my post? The idea of a debate is to argue the opposing side. I said IF a prayer works then it would “ not” be the prayer doing it but instead the positive belief from our minds. I could attempt to explain this from the point of quantum mechanics on how individuals create their own reality through their thinking 
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited June 2019
    @maxx
    I could attempt to explain this from the point of quantum mechanics on how individuals create their own reality through their thinking
    This makes for good science fiction stories, but nothing in quantum mechanics or classical physics allow for such a thing as "manipulating reality through thoughts" or even hints at it being possible... At least, anything that I'm aware of... Got any links?

Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

You say  ......either you are missing my point or misconstruing the idea of a debate. 

My reply .....Your broader point makes no sense to me as in “positive energy of our brain “ 

• maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    Yes I know, it has to do with quantum mechanics @Dee
    PlaffelvohfenDeeethang5
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited June 2019

You say .....Yes I know

My reply .....No you don’t , I’m still looking to find where within quantum mechanics where  one speculates on the “positive energy of our brains “

You say ...... it has to do with quantum mechanics

My reply ......” the positive energy of our brains “ , you do say some very silly things don’t you?
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
     @Dee@Dee perhaps you should begin with the early pioneer work of quantum mechanics such as max born, or werner heisenberg.  it is almost worthless to point out a single statement by any of the early pioneers unless one actually understands the underlying layer of reality and how quarks interact with electrons. 
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    Sorry but that's just one of the current attempts at re-branding quantum mysticism... It fallaciously draws upon coincidental similarity of language rather than genuine connection to actual quantum mechanics...  

Quoting: "Schrödinger's 1958 lectures are said to "mark the last of a generation that lived with the mysticism controversy"—and today most physicists are realists who do not believe that quantum theory is involved with consciousness."

Those who are attempting this re-branding today are making money selling their books to people too naive or uneducated in actual QM theories to know they're being scammed...
    Dee

You say .....

Dee perhaps you should begin with the early pioneer work of quantum mechanics such as max born, or werner Heisenberg

My reply .....I’m more than familiar with their work 

You say .......  it is almost worthless to point out a single statement by any of the early pioneers unless one actually understands the underlying layer of reality and how quarks interact with electrons. 

My reply ......You’re spouting nonsense now , you talked about “the positive energy of our brain creating “ , can you elaborate instead of bullshitting?

I looked at your link and as suspected a pile of nonsensical psychobabble by Amit Goswami who looks like and sounds like the equally ridiculous Deepak Chopra who spouts the exact same nonsense 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @Dee im curious, do you actually know anything or post anything on here other than the religious department? are you actually  versed in any kind of field at all with-out having to use the internet to find your answers? or perhaps you are just some over-weight divorced floozy who sits around all day drinking cheap whiskey and looking for various ways to rant and rave on social sights? that link was just a layman's version of how quantum mechanics operate in reality.  you say that you are more than familiar with it, if so then you would not be trying to argue that I am wrong
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @Dee im curious, do you actually know anything or post anything on here other than the religious department? are you actually  versed in any kind of field at all with-out having to use the internet to find your answers? or perhaps you are just some over-weight divorced floozy who sits around all day drinking cheap whiskey and looking for various ways to rant and rave on social sights? that link was just a layman's version of how quantum mechanics operate in reality.  you say that you are more than familiar with it, if so then you would not be trying to argue that I am wrong
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @Dee I am curious, do you actually know anything or post anything on here other than the religious department? are you actually  versed in any kind of field at all with-out having to use the internet to find your answers? or perhaps you are just some over-weight divorced floozy who sits around all day drinking cheap whiskey and looking for various ways to rant and rave on social sights? that link was just a layman's version of how quantum mechanics operate in reality.  you say that you are more than familiar with it, if so then you would not be trying to argue that I am wrong
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @Dee I am curious, do you actually know anything or post anything on here other than the religious department? are you actually  versed in any kind of field at all with-out having to use the internet to find your answers? or perhaps you are just some over-weight divorced floozy who sits around all day drinking cheap whiskey and looking for various ways to rant and rave on social sights? that link was just a layman's version of how quantum mechanics operate in reality.  you say that you are more than familiar with it, if so then you would not be trying to argue that I am wrong@Plaffelvohfen @Plaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited June 2019
    @maxx

The link's headline is a bit of a click bait... Nothing in the article hints at what the title asserts... All the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment proved is that the photon’s behavior isn’t predetermined.  Yes, there needs to be a conscious observer, but this observer is only as relevant as the photon itself, in that he exists for the purpose of the experiment... He's just a part in the equation, he cannot change the nature of the equation (reality), he cannot make it what he wants it to be... 

Quantum mechanics is full of paradoxes and it's easy to fall into traps and wrongly infer philosophical or metaphysical implications to mathematical paradoxes... 
    maxx
    @maxx

You say ..... I am curious, do you actually know anything or post anything on here other than the religious department? 

My reply ....I’m here to debate, which is  an alien concept to you. I correct religious nuts like you who make ridiculous statements 

You say .....are you actually  versed in any kind of field at all with-out having to use the internet to find your answers? 

My reply ....This Is amusing coming from a dummy who copy and pastes other peoples opinions ,because you have none of your own 

You say .....or perhaps you are just some over-weight divorced floozy who sits around all day drinking cheap whiskey and looking for various ways to rant and rave on social sights? 

My reply ......You shouldn’t speak about your slut of a mother like that , informed talk on the street has it she’s a very “obliging woman” and “not backwards in coming forwards “ ......tell her I said hi ......watch her blush ......

You say .....that link was just a layman's version of how quantum mechanics operate in reality.  

My reply .....The link was an talking a load of mystical nonsense 

You say ......that you are more than familiar with it, if so then you would not be trying to argue that I am wrong

My reply ......You are wrong because you’re an who copy and pastes nonsense from pseudoscientific sites in an attempt to look “clever “ it only makes you look more than you are if that’s possible 

maxx
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    @Dee ; im not religious so u r wrong in that aspect.as well show me where I copy other opinions aside from the links someone asked for in which I normally do not do. I assume you are bi-polar for nothing ive seen of your posts show any intelligence at all. you just rant and rave. go look at your answers; rant and rave
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

You say .....

; im not religious so u r wrong in that aspect.

My reply .....Yet you’re god obsessed 

You say .......

as well show me where I copy other opinions aside from the links someone asked for in which I normally do not do.

My reply .....Yet all you do is copy and paste links as you cannot formulate an opinion of your own , when I ask you a simple question you fly into a rage and sulk. Do you ever try to defend your positions?

You say ......I assume you are bi-polar 

My reply .....Yet another attack by you 

You say .....for nothing ive seen of your posts show any intelligence at all. 

My reply .....Followed by another 

You say ....you just rant and rave. 

My reply ........More ranting and raving 

You say ......go look at your answers; rant and rave

My reply .....More ranting 

You said earlier .........you are just some over-weight divorced floozy who sits around all day drinking cheap whiskey and looking for various ways to rant and rave on social sights? 

My reply ......You accuse everyone of what you never stop doing as in ranting and raving whatever makes you this is certainly working ......want to try debating some time?

maxx
  • ethang5ethang5 258 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Hi maxx,

That can be tested, but tests on prayer are flawed.

Consider this. What if we were going to test you on how many times you dated blondes compared to how many times you dated redheads to see which type was more effective n attracting you.

Would the test results be reliable if you knew you were being tested and observed?

Or consider this one, what if we measured how many times you answered "yes" to your kids compared to your neighbors kids asking you for candy. Would your answer to your kids always be yes? Would your answer to your neighbors kids always be no?

See, the prayer tests that atheists bring up is an intellectual exercise meant to be deceptive.

God's answers depend on who asks and what is asked for. Also, because God is omniscient, He cannot be in a blind test. In fact, He simply cannot be tested.

God does not always answer yes to Christians. Sometimes, His answer is no. And though He can grant the prayers of  nonbelievers, He has no obligation to do so.

Atheists often act as if God is an algorithm instead of a person. Groups of people can be predicted, individual people much less so.

I can test and predict to almost 100% certainty what my computer will do if I push a button, my percentage of accuracy will fluctuate wildly with a person.

But you are right that the brain has energy that can be measured and that our brains do cause matter to move and change.

Nice topic.
    Plaffelvohfenmaxx