frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare, change my mind.

Debate Information

What if the mother has medical problems? What if the fetus has no brain? What if the mother is ten years old? What if the mother does not want to give birth> I believe I have the right to choose whether i have a baby, and disrespect prolifers for being antichoice.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DylanDylan 61 Pts   -  
    No one is saying abortion should be completely banned and not allowed in all cases with no exceptions. You're bringing up marginal cases that almost never happen (That account for LESS than 1% of all abortions combined I might add) and trying to use those to make all cases okay it seems when you would support abortion regardless of the circumstances. If you would support abortion regardless of these cases which seems to be the case in this post and your previous posts then don't even bother bringing them up. I can understand it in some cases like the ones you mentioned but aside from that I see no excuse, the parents screwing up is not the child's fault. 

Also, you've made quite a few posts about abortion from what I've seen so I doubt you're actually interested in hearing other perspectives and possibly having your mind changed. 

https://abort73.com/abortion_facts/us_abortion_statistics/
    AmericanFurryBoypiloteer
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -   edited June 2019
    I
    @Dylan

If a fetus is really no more than a parasite that gets all its nourishment from the woman's body, and that woman's body is her property alone, what inscriptions are etched into what moral pillar whose authority is unquestionable which says she MUST give birth to that baby?  
    Plaffelvohfen
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed

I agree with you, but a woman's choice to terminate a pregnancy is usually not taken lightly. So saying it should be rare, sorta goes without saying.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited June 2019
    @Dylan
    No one is saying abortion should be completely banned and not allowed in all cases with no exceptions. 
    Of course people say that... Look at the latest Bill from Alabama that wants to ban abortion in nearly all circumstances, including rape and incest? Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota and Ohio all passed extremely restrictive laws... All those would indeed ban any form of abortion for any reason, if they had it their way...

Now, I support the right to an abortion at any stage, even very late term ones... The thing is though, that the later the abortion is performed, the more traumatic and risky it becomes, so it is in the woman best interest to abort as early as possible, if abortion is the choice she makes... 
    piloteer
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
    @Plaffelvohfen

It's not always possible for a woman to choose to abort as early as possible, especially if the woman might be at risk. 92% of abortions are done before 14 weeks. 96% are done before 20 weeks. Only 1.6 percent of abortions are done after 24 weeks, and of those (53%), more than half are needed because of a legitimate risk to the mother or the baby. Unfortunately, there are some women who make a decision to terminate at a really late stage in pregnancy, but if we ban late term pregnancy, we put the other half of the women at risk. One could make the argument that it should be up to a doctor to decide whether the pregnancy can or cannot be terminated so late in the pregnancy, but we'll run into two issues here. The first issue is with the doctor. If the doctor makes a wrong decision, his/her patients (mother, or child, or both)could end up dead, and beyond the emotional stress of that wrong decision, there would also be legal ramifications as well. Then, there's the issue of forcefully taking the fetus, and any decisions made on the fetus,  out of the ownership of the woman and leaving it up to somebody else. Furthermore, most of the time, the reason women need to wait so long to have a late term abortion is because you can't find out if the mother or the baby will be at risk until 17 weeks. Then, most of them are told that they have to wait a certain number of weeks more, to even reach a healthy stage to have an abortion. Making late term or partial birth abortions illegal, put most women who have them at risk. 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @piloteer

I totally agree... But there are many states where regulations are aimed at delaying abortion beyond 20 or even 24 weeks, even for those who learned early and wants an abortion, these delays are unacceptable... If you know early in, you should have easy and fast access is what I'm saying... 
    piloteer
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "