frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What Is The Most Persecuted Religion In The World?

Debate Information

I'd like to preface this statement with "This is merely my opinion", that said I think that when most poeple think about the most persecuted Religion in the World today they think about Islam.  And while it's very true that Islam is under fire for a myriad of reasons, there is one Religion in today's world that in sheer numbers and atrocities is by far, hugely, the single most persecuted Religion of our entire world - Christianity.

Now if I were you, I would be scoffing perhaps, rolling my eyes maybe or even furiously opening multiple google tabs to find what preposterous proof there was to support this statement...and I honestly hope you do...look it up that is.  I, like many of you reading this, was shocked to see it headlined during a random search for information of the Religious nature...and even I didn't believe it when I saw it.  To me, Christianity has always "Seemed" like the pinnacle of Religion in the Western world...to me if any Religion was favored or had an unfair advantage it would be Christianity for certain.  Upon researching the supposed idea of Christians being the most persecuted of all Religious followers I discovered not only was I horribly blind but that the reality was always right there in front of me.  I had developed what's called "Normalcy Bias" on a small scale, an inability to see what's in front of me simply because I expect things to be a certain way.  That said I would provide the following as supporting evidence and request critical evaluation and subsequent discussion of the topic.  For myself though, this is more of an awareness post which doesn't necessarily beg a debate but any opposition is welcome.

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/world/christians-the-most-persecuted-group-in-world-for-second-year-study/ar-BBxZeVs
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/14/christians-most-persecuted-group-in-world-as-vicious-attacks-grow.html
https://aleteia.org/2017/03/03/christians-are-the-worlds-most-persecuted-religious-group-according-to-studies/
http://www.civitas.org.uk/pdf/Shortt_Christianophobia.pdf
 www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2014/04/are-christians-really-world-s-most-persecuted-religious-group
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/10/christian-persecution-increases-in-middle-east/

What's really mind-blowing...I mean absolutely shocking is that I have never...ever...e v e r heard about this before and it's not new.  What's even worse is that Christians seem to be dealing with the persecution the way they always have...allowing themselves to become martyrs and praying that it will stop.  It's sad that it's the only way.

medldjoecavalrym_abusteitwith_all_humility
"If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    So to tally this up, approximately 90,000 Christians were killed in 2016 because of their Religious beliefs and another 200,000 experienced Religiously motivated violence or persecution.  These estimates are coming from Open Door USA, the Italy-based Center for Studies on New Religions, the U.S. State Department Refugee Processing Center, World Help and the Philos Project. 

Across the world Christians are disappearing from Countries, even where they used to be a majority.  Churches are burned or bombed, Religious observances are target for opportunity in number of fatalities, Christians are being jailed, tortured, raped, beaten and mutilated for their ideology.  Meanwhile it's becoming apparent what even the Pope has stated about the response from the Western world: "We're hearing what Cowardly Silence sounds like".

http://gazette.com/editorial-christian-persecution-keeps-getting-worse/article/1598137

with_all_humility
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk, 6 million jews were killed during holocaust in 1940s,  And were all slaves during Egyptian times.  I think that Jewish religion is more persecuted throughout history.
    Many religions are heavily persecuted throughout history, and I found your articles insightful.

Polaris95
    Live Long and Prosper
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @agsr,

Agreed entirely, in fact your reference to the Jews was the only listed opposition in any of the articles I managed to gather and it was only listed in one as the overall historically most persecuted.  However, this post was in regards to the most persecuted currently.  When I was overseas in Iraq I actually remember when the Soldiers had to shut down a small outpost in Norther Iraq that housed and protected a few hundred Kurdish Christians...the story was passed along by word of mouth from the boys who were responsible for packing it all up and I later pulled an article from the web detailing the massacre that ensued.  The Iraqis were waiting at the gate when the last U.S. convoy drove away, they beat them all to death with different types of blunt weapons and used pickup trucks to drive over several of them, the picture on the headline was pretty intense.
    agsr

• ImbsterImbster 149 Pts   -  
    Men get persecuted for rape that they never did but other men have done or always do. I'm sure you've been taught in history class what Christianity has done to Muslims. That a Pope, one time decided to divide the world for Spain and Portugal. Did he get that idea from the Bible? Let's focus on the muslims part. Christianity has been the largest religion at present because of their dominance in the dark ages and times before and after that. When they came to take back Spain they killed muslim parents and took down some muslim buildings but do you know what they figured to do with the muslim children. Ah yes, Force Christianity down their very throat and every organ. Yes I'm persecuting christianity right now but you know what they did. Christianity isn't perfect, its process of molding a priest doesn't guarantee the priest to have 0 % child molestation desires. 

I am not in any way taking joy of the deaths of these recent humans in 2016 but am just stating why I wouldn't be shocked or perhaps others who dive in to history be surprised Christianity is the most persecuted religion right now. They also have stories very similar to older religions and with enough research you can match Jesus' Birth story with a lot of other interesting stories Christians would comment such, "false prophets have written these". Very open-minded of them. These older religions can never legally own beliefs and stories right?
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    That all was during the crusades, in which may I remind you, that Muslims committed terrible acts too.  http://religion.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780199340378.001.0001/acrefore-9780199340378-e-11.  Also, Christians during the crusades were Catholics, and back then they thought buying things from the church took your sins.  Martin Luther came soon after to reform Christianity, so you cannot judge modern day Christianity off of them.  

Second, Moses came long before other religions and wrote the first five books of the old testament, though God was the one who gave him the words to write.  Also, Jesus has been backed by archaeological evidence.  http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/evidence-for-jesus.htm

Yes, they did commit terrible acts, but Muslims have also brought ISIS forth in the current day.  
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @Imbster,

Almost every Religious organization has a violent history, at some point Religion of every kind has been used for an agenda and more often than not it's with violence.  No one contests this, Christianity has been used for violence in a great many of ways throughout history.  The topic of this discussion however, is that Christianity...despite its history...is the most persecuted Religion in the entire world today.  In regards to history though...no one is persecuting Christians today because of what happened during the Crusades, Christians aren't being slaughtered in today's world because of the atrocities committed hundreds of years ago.

Granted, the Jews were responsible for putting Christ on the Cross...but if hundreds of thousands of Jews were still dying every year in an attempt at genocide...no one would be sitting around talking about how the Jews weren't exactly innocent...it's 2017 people.  What's more is the fact that the vast majority of what's killing Christian people are the very people that are at the top of the pity list in the Western World...Muslims.

• medldmedld 10 Pts   -  
    Muslims are not persecurated, but rather Jews are extremely persecuted and have been for a very long time.
    melanielust
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    I'd argue that Jews are the most persecuted. Jews have been intentionally killed, pushed out of their territories, and wiped out for at least 2000 years. Tens of millions of Jews have been killed on the basis of religion; just look at the Holocaust, where 6 million were killed.
  • RodinonRodinon 67 Pts   -  
    Who's more persecuted?  Jews or Christians?

The number of both of these groups who have been murdered is staggering.  First, Jews have been around far longer, the violent Muslims target them before Christians (First the Saturday people, then the Sunday people), and they are involved in a struggle for land.  There are always will be far more Christians than Jews because they more actively share their religion and their numbers are in no way limited by family line.

Even when Jews were persecuting the 1st Century church, the Jews themselves were being persecuted by the Roman Empire, but Christians were largely made up of converted Jews.  The Romans lumped Christians in as a Jewish Sect, so persecution against one spilled over to the other.

If you are a Christian and take the Bible seriously, you have no grounds to persecute Jews.  It's pretty plain about this.  And also understand, as soon as the Pantheistic/Occultic 3rd Reich finished off the Jews, they were going to rid the world of Christians, too.
    love2debate
  • AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -  
    Two big questions for the basis of measurement:

Currently vs Ever in history?

Total amount of discrimination or per capita discrimination?

Ever in history and per capita: Too many to choose from. A lot of religions were wiped out completely by discrimination both in ancient history and in more modern days (think North/South America from 4 centuries ago onwards) so there's too many to choose.

Currently and per capita: Probably some minor religion like the Yazidis. They're small and geographically located in a shitty area (the Middle east) where a sizeable total of the the total population have suffered at the hands of ISIS and many had to flee their lands. Even under aside from terrorist organisations they are often mistreated by the governments of their states.

Ever in history and total amount of discrimination: This will go to a religion that's large, with a bonus if it's old although that's not necessarily a decider due to explosive population growth in the last century. That rules out some like Judaism which are old but never had a mass following like Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddism, etc. Hard to say, but probably give the edge to Hinduism if we consider the entire colonial rule period of India due to the "other" nature of Indians to white Christian Europeans which at least in part was due to their religion. Total guess on my part though, as far as I know there are no studies into total discrimination of religions so it's mostly gut feeling. I could see an argument for pretty much any of the modern popular religions.

Currently and per capita: Again, hard to say as there's no solid research. I think your choice here says more about you then it does about reality. 

The other key thing that I didn't mention because that would have made the whole thing too complicated is how we measure persecution. If someone is insulted because of their religion, is that counted as an act of persecution? And someone being murdered because of their religion is also an act of persecution so counts the same? or are we meant to measure the effect each type of persecution has on people - in which case how the hell are we meant to do that?
  • Damn... I hate victimhood politics, especially when they don't come with a solvency.

JuicyMelonTech
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • @Imbster

Every religious institution with the exception of perhaps a few eastern ones has had the goal of "Convert, Divide Conquer" to insist that it was just the Pope would be ignoring thousands or maybe even millions of people that were killed to establish Sharia law, a Muslim Caliphate, or the supposed God's chosen nation of Israel, just to name a few. 
    JuicyMelonTech
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • @agsr

I agree with the Holocaust part, but actually Jewish people never served as slaves to the Egyptians, they found evidence to the contrary, the Israelites were paid quite well and were provided housing relatively near the pyramids so they could rest after work. That is why the pyramids are such masterpieces because people with architectural skills were the ones who built the pyramids. (If they were built by slaves, the pyramids would be falling apart.)
    JuicyMelonTech
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Jews were slaves to the Egyptians and they have great skills.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    Christians are the most persecuted because they don't receive enough media coverage and support from developed countries.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @1Hacker0, I doubt that media coverage has much to do with it...although it definitely begs the question as to why there's virtually zero media coverage of the issue when by sheer numbers they're currently the most persecuted.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Christianity is hardly persecuted nowadays, barring the selected handful of countries hostile towards Christianity. Regionally, the most persecuted religion will strongly vary: it is Judaism/Christianity in most Muslim countries, it is Islam in Israel, it is Buddhism in Burma, and so on.

What is the most regionally discriminated religion? I would say a set of religions in the northern India get the harshest treatment: the caste system effectively outlaws those religions, and people who dare even hint at practicing those religions risk being murdered on the spot. It is not exactly a systematic oppression by the state, but, rather, it is an unbelievable level of oppression by the people themselves, to which the government turns a blind eye.

People who think that either Christianity or Islam are the most persecuted religions in the world, really should look around and see what goes on in places less popular among Western tourists.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    Christianity is hardly persecuted nowadays, barring the selected handful of countries hostile towards Christianity. 
    Any reason for this claim, premise, logic, evidence, source or otherwise justification?  If it's just your opinion then I can respect that, it's just not presented as such.

@Vaulk

Personal experience, knowledge and definition of persecution. 

I have not seen any evidence of persecution, meaning a systematic violent action taken against a group based on their shared characteristic, happening in the vast majority of countries with regards to Christians. Hardly any group at all is persecuted in the modern developed world, for that matter. 
    The examples you have presented hardly constitute a widespread persecution. In addition to conveniently citing absolute numbers, instead of relative, the sources have not in any way explained how those events were related to the individuals' religious views. Plainly speaking, if Christians are being attacked not for them being Christians, then the attack does not constitute a persecution of Christians.

It is different in selected few countries extremely hostile towards Christianity, such as, for example, Sharia countries. But those countries are hostile to all religions that are not Islam, and they often are even hostile to other branches of Islam; Christianity is probably persecuted more than other religions for historical reasons, however.

---

People throw words like "oppression" and "persecution" around easily these days. I prefer to stick to what those words really mean. Persecution is being afraid to admit that you believe in something, because the consequences are likely to be drastic. Persecution is not having a few mean words said to you once in a year. This is what being persecuted for your views looks like:

• YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    More liberal hatred for Christ and His Christians I see the left doing all the time. I noticed that they never snivel about Muhammad. Hmm, hypcrits much?  I am not voting liberal, I can tell you that.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
  • with_all_humilitywith_all_humility 222 Pts   -  
    @agsr

I agree with the Holocaust part, but actually Jewish people never served as slaves to the Egyptians, they found evidence to the contrary, the Israelites were paid quite well and were provided housing relatively near the pyramids so they could rest after work. That is why the pyramids are such masterpieces because people with architectural skills were the ones who built the pyramids. (If they were built by slaves, the pyramids would be falling apart.)
    You say the Jews were never slaves, this really just confirms the Bible.  Remember Joseph the son of Jacob became 2nd in command just under Pharo.  There was a period of a few hundred years where the Hebrews worked along beside the Egyptians and were respected. Exodus 1.7 says the Jews were fruitful and multiplied.  In verse 8 it goes on to say that there came a Pharo who did not know Joesph and in verse 9-10 it says "And he said to his people, "Look, the people of the children of Israel are more and mightier than we; come, let us deal shrewdly with them, lest they multiply, and it happen, in the event of war, that they also join our enemies and fight against us, and so go up out of the land." 

So, it would not surprise me to find evidence of people living well and being treated humanely.  This would coincide with the Bible, however, there did become a time that the Egyptians oppressed the children of Israel.
  • Mr_BombasticMr_Bombastic 144 Pts   -  
    @agsr
    Jews  believe in the Christian God, same as Christians do. So they were persecuted for the same reasons Christians are being persecuted today. It's a sad fact that many Jews reject Christ, but they still believe in God, and are His chosen people.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited July 2018
    @MayCaesar
    MayCaesar said:
    @Vaulk

Personal experience, knowledge and definition of persecution. 

I have not seen any evidence of persecution, meaning a systematic violent action taken against a group based on their shared characteristic, happening in the vast majority of countries with regards to Christians. Hardly any group at all is persecuted in the modern developed world, for that matter. 
    So if I understand you correctly, you're arguing that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.  This is despite credible statistics that you haven't countered in any way short of claiming that they're not relatively stated and that somehow discredits the statistical findings absolutely. 

Also, if I understand you correctly, you're asserting that, because it doesn't exist largely in the modern developed world, that you disbelieve that religious persecution couldn't be a serious issue worldwide.

I agree with you wholly that Christianity is not the only persecuted religion in the world, many other religious and sects of religions are persecuted for their beliefs and I have seen this first hand

So in response:

1.  Your vague and non-specific personal experience in regards to an argument made from statistical published data is anecdotal and simply irrelevant in this regard as we are not arguing what we have personally done, seen, heard or experienced unless you are somehow directly involved with the study, analysis, research and production of reports regarding religious persecution across the World.  If you are then I'll be happy to review any peer reviewed publications you may have created or participated in otherwise...let's stay away from personal experience.

2.  Absence of evidence is not an argument as you've presented it to be.  Also, I've actually presented evidence contrary to your claim, you've simply described your decision to dismiss it as being based on information not being presented in a way that is to your personal preference.  I argued that it exists by presenting facts, studies, research...evidence.  You're arguing that it just doesn't exist either at all or to the extent I've concluded but your argument comes from personal preference and an overall dismissive attitude rather than deductive reasoning, logic or evidence.  If you have any of the three then I will gladly hear them but to simply dismiss evidence and then to say that "I haven't seen any evidence of persecution" is to ignore my argument completely.

3.  I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that because Religious persecution is a rare existence in the "Modern developed World" that this must somehow equate an equal non-existence in the developing world.  Over 80% of the Human Beings in the world live on less than $10.00/day, that alone doesn't prove that religious persecution is widespread...instead it shows that a large enough population exists outside the modern developed world that you've discounted that if religious persecution DOES exist and IS widespread in those places....it could easily affect a majority of the Human population of the Earth.  TL;DR: Just because something doesn't affect modern developed countries...doesn't mean it can't affect 51% of the Human Beings in the World.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/january/top-50-countries-christian-persecution-world-watch-list.html
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewelinaochab/2018/01/26/religious-persecution-the-ever-growing-threat-to-us-all/#197bb7e30f35
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-30001063

Read or not, I'll offer you an insight...not to convince you of anything other than the fact that you're talking to someone who does know and has seen and isn't blindly regurgitating.

In 2007, while taking my turn as gate guard with one Sergeant and one of my fellow Soldiers, I was posted at a Joint Security Station in Sabaa Al Bour.  Leaning up against the HMMWV that was always parked at the gate we heard several muffled explosions on the other side of town and honestly thought very little of it as we were heavily accustomed to hearing the Shia a Sunni duke it out over what I only understood to be doctrinal differences in their Religious beliefs.  Five minutes passed and the three of us continued what you would call *Bull$hitting* about being home or what was for chow until the roof-top sentry called down to us on the radio to get our attention about a large mob running down the street towards our ECP (Entrance control point).  So we stood up and visually confirmed that this mob was truly running our way, between thirty and forty-five Men and Women were sprinting at what looked like full stride at our gate.  To say that it was out of the ordinary would be the understatement of the year, we were freaked out, mostly because from the look of things...we might have to shoot into a crowd to stop a rush on the gate and that's not something you consider lightly.  We shouted, tried using hand and arm signals, we had the gunner in the HMMWV swing the .50 cal around and point it at the mob to let them know they had to stop...and then we saw the reason why they were rushing the gate.  As they got closer we could see that most of the Men were carrying very small children...who also appeared to be lifelessly ragdolling around in their arms as they sprinted.  We quickly dropped our guard as they got closer and we could see that the Children were covered in blood and were severely wounded...there were no words exchanged as none were needed, we opened the gate and let them all inside.  The Iraqi people largely didn't understand modern medicine nor did they have any idea of what the limitations were for emergency medical services but they knew we were better trained to save the life of someone who was wounded than anyone else in town...so when they made it through the gate they literally thrust these Children into our arms while screaming and crying.  This was easily the most horrible thing I had ever and have ever seen in my entire life, mostly because almost all of those Children were already dead and their Parents were still in shock and could not even begin to accept that, two of them managed to survive until an ambulance arrived to take them to the nearest hospital...the other 12 died before they got to us.
    The Shia had launched several mortars across town and they had landed on a soccer field where these children were playing ball...on the Sunni side.  That's religious persecution.

Turning attention to the Christian Kurds in Northern Iraq, we housed hundreds of them in a refugee camp just North of Baghdad for years until the U.S. decided to shut down the camp and reallocate the combat strength elsewhere.  The day the Soldiers left the refugee camp a mob of Iraqi police and civilians waited patiently for the last Military vehicle to depart and then quickly rushed the compound, beat most of the Kurds to death with clubs, baseball bats and other blunt objects and the rest were tied and bound while the Iraqi Police took turns putting on a human monster truck rally with their trucks, driving over 10-20 of them at a time...because they were Christian.  Men, Women, Children all...and there was nothing we could do about it because it wasn't our Country.  This was after they were targeted for Genocide by the Iraqi Regime for two decades.

@Vaulk

The fraction of all Christians in the world living in such hostile to Christianity countries as Iraq or Saudi Arabia is relatively small. When judging which religion is most persecuted, you ought to look not at the absolute numbers, but at the relative ones. Of course more Christians are going to be persecuted more often than, say, Vodouists, simply because the latter are several orders of magnitude less numerous, in terms of absolute numbers - but such a statistic says nothing about the probability of a randomly selected Christian to be persecuted for their views, hence is irrelevant in the evaluation of the degree of persecution.

There are small localized religions in various corners of the world that get their members killed as long as anyone in the area learns that they are practitioners, and given that the followers of those religions exist almost nowhere outside those areas, people of those religions become almost universally harshly persecuted. In my eyes it means that they are far more persecuted, than Christianity is, worldwide.

One could also evaluate persecution based on in how many regions practitioners of a certain religion are not welcome. In this regard, Christianity and Islam are probably tied up, although Christians tend to be more persecuted in Islamic countries than Muslims in Christian ones, so it still depends on the evaluation criterion.

Your argument is valid, but it needs elaboration on how you evaluate the degree of persecution. Not to mention that, again, many cases that are presented as religious persecution are not necessarily such - for example, the genocide of Kurds in Iraq you mentioned was mostly based on the ethnic ground, and not on the religious one; albeit, one could argue that these factors are not necessarily mutually independent.