frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Taxation is Theft, Change my mind

Debate Information

The government claims to be "shut down", but my paycheck determined that to be a lie. The Political Ruling Class is stating that tax returns will not be given during a shutdown. The government can collect and process taxes, but not return taxes collected that by rights is money they were NEVER entitled to in the first place (overpayment). If the government is refusing to return the money to citizens, which has already been held interest free all year, how is this not theft? If you owed me 5 bucks, and you gave me 10, and I held your extra 5 bucks all year doing what I wanted with it free of interest, and then return it to you next year when the value of the money has changed over time, and then REFUSE to return your money... how is this not theft? Not only is the money interest free, but it also has lost value during that year. It has been returned, when it does eventually get returned, at a diminished value. Theft!
Alecpiloteer

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    So you care more about money than people? I hope you don't call yourself a Christian.
    piloteerZombieguy1987funpersonAlofRI
  • AlecAlec 71 Pts   -  
    We should have high sales taxes and no income tax.  It makes more sense to tax people for doing neutral/bad things then it does to tax people for doing good things, like getting a high salary.

piloteerZombieguy1987
  • AlecAlec 71 Pts   -  
    I think we should have high sales taxes and no income tax.  It makes more sense to use taxes as a means of discouraging people from doing bad/neutral things then it does to use a tax as a deterrent to making high salaries.
  • AlecAlec 71 Pts   -  
    Sorry I said the same basic thing 2x.  I thought my comment didn't load.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    We shouldn't mind taxes …. as long as we get our money's worth out of them. It IS theft when we don't. It IS theft when some don't pay taxes commensurate with what they make. It IS theft when some are given tax breaks to INVEST, then pack an equal amount or more away in an overseas account. It IS theft when a tax break is used to research drugs or invest in machinery to save lives, then supercharge the users whose tax money was invested! 
    OUR taxes should go to a government OF, BY and FOR the PEOPLE, not "special interests", and we SHOULD get OUR share of the profits of that investment BACK! When the largest share is used and abused by a government OF the FEW, BY the FEW and FOR the FEW it becomes THEFT!
  • funpersonfunperson 66 Pts   -  
    Here's the plan: turn all welfare recipients into government employees, that way we'd at least be getting something out if it. The bureaucracy needs to be trimmed down too because they spend proportionally small amounts but it adds up. Department of Homeland Security (or HUD) spent $350M on radios that could not communicate with each other.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -   edited January 2019
    It is not theft, but, rather, robbery. Theft is having something stolen without knowing it immediately; robbery is having something taken away through coercion.

Some would argue that this sort of robbery is justified - but it still is robbery by definition.

In addition, in the US, for example, taxes do not exhaust the degree of the total robbery. National parks in the US, for example, are declared public land, hence belonging to the taxpayers - yet, for example, the entrance to Grand Canyon National Park is still $35. So, despite having our possessions taken away in the name of funding public endeavors, we still do not gain the right to use the fruits of those endeavors, without paying extra.

Government collecting taxes is much like a business company that, instead of selling you something, just takes your money and then decides what to give in return - if anything. Say, you go to a car dealership, they take $30,000 from your bank account without your permission, and then say, "We'll get back to you in a month and give you some car of our choice. Or maybe give nothing at all. But your donation helped other people, so you should feel good about it!"

I have always said this, and will say again: people should be free to not pay taxes, in exchange for not getting the boons of public services. And those who do choose to pay taxes, should get a claim on ALL public services. My taxes should buy me the right to use public land however I please, for example. If not, then I would rather not pay taxes and use the money to buy a private land instead.

---

And paying taxes and getting a governmental shutdown in return is simply inconceivable. The government owes us our money back. Just because the ministers cannot agree on something, does not mean they suddenly should get a vacation paid by us, with many public services suspended.
  • In basic principle taxation is a payment to support the United State Constitution. 
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Taxation is the cost to live in society... Don't want to pay taxes? Easy, move out of society or find a cheaper one than the one you currently live in...
    AlofRI
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Taxation is the cost to live in society... Don't want to pay taxes? Easy, move out of society or find a cheaper one than the one you currently live in...
    Can't be a cost not everyone is charged in a  way as a united state that would make that provable so in a court of law.
  • Taxation is proven as embezzlement or inappropriately spending it is not theft itself. The idea here is a crime must be provable in a court of law and how we address the reasons for taxation can be construed to be incriminating . Which is bound by a united state in constitutional separation by the two parts the are held together to form a union. Basic principle and legal precedent.

• billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    Romans 13:6 
    New International Version
    This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing.
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

New International Version
    This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing.

Study Bible
    Submission to Authorities
    …5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to authority, not only to avoid punishment, but also as a matter of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes. For the authorities are God’s servants,who devote themselves to their work. 7Pay everyone what you owe him: taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.…
    Plaffelvohfen

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    @ShawnGullberg: If taxation is theft, so is rent. We have to have shelter to live in this world and shouldn't have to pay for it?? We love to have nice roads, a good education, the best health care, protection from … evil doers … and we shouldn't have to pay for it? 

All of us pay for "some" health care through a "special tax". Most of us take advantage of what we've invested, eventually. Many would like to stop that entirely and let "for profit capitalism" take over "because it would eventually be "cheaper". I'm afraid there's a BIG difference between an "all for one" tax, with a central overhead, and a different payment that has to support a hundred (or more), huge buildings, several computer systems, thousands of workers and (worst of all) hundreds of CEO's …. as one CEO put it, "making more money than Jesus would be worth"! I'll take the taxes, thank you, and have a say in just who spends them and HOW.

Hatred of government and taxes is exactly what those "evil doers" are hoping, (and working), for. It's a shame so many are helping them with their refusal to work as a COUNTRY, as a team to work together to "form a better union". The ME, MYSELF and I attitude is doing the opposite. I will pay my taxes gladly as long as I get my money's worth. Seeing a health tax bill every month, (Or quarterly), with most of it going to "overhead", is not my idea of getting my moneys worth.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @ShawnGullberg ;

To place a basic principle up for debate taxation is imposed debt not theft, the people do not own the "Federal Reserve Note" it is issued or not then held the Note is an impartial registered receipt. The person who holds the note in expectance of registry can then reissue the receipt to someone else.