frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Breaking news: NY Times targets YouTube conservatives, and centrist Patriots. What are your thoughts

Debate Information

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Well, youtube conservatives and centrist "patriots" have been targeting our democracy and rights …. and the NYT, WP, and any other media that doesn't like "their way" for some time now. It's not one sided. May I say Thank God? (As a figure of speech, of course ;-).
    PlaffelvohfenCYDdharta
  • all4acttall4actt 305 Pts   -  
    AlofRI said:
    Well, youtube conservatives and centrist "patriots" have been targeting our democracy and rights …. and the NYT, WP, and any other media that doesn't like "their way" for some time now. It's not one sided. May I say Thank God? (As a figure of speech, of course ;-).
    So what your saying is free speech should only be allotted to people who agree with you opinion?
    AlofRI
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @all4actt ;
    So what your saying is free speech should only be allotted to people who agree with you opinion?

It's not a question of free speech... Youtube, Facebook, newspapers, online forums, etc, are all private entities who can arbitrarily and at their sole discretion, impose any rules they want on their platforms...

Free speech issues arise when the government tries to stop you from saying something... I don't see the government stepping in here... 
    AlofRI
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -   edited June 2019
    @Plaffelvohfen well actually you do see the government stepping in here. You see some Republican politicians stepping in and trying to say that YouTube isn't allowed to make decisions about it's private business.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @WordsMatter

lol Good point...  But that's still not a free speech issue but an attempt at infringing on a private business rights...  ;)
    The corporation you speak of claims that it allows for the free flow of ideas.  At least that is what it originally claimed.

It'suppress of hate speech and promotion of radical recruitment maybe a necessary infingement but it is a slippery slope.

Maybe they should announce that "We believe in the sharing of idea's as long as you believe the same things we do"

I personally like to hear both sides of an argument.  Without doing so you live in a vacuum that doesn't allow for a true flow of ideas or a balanced view.  

Isn't it the view of all the countries around the world that have dictatorships and/or communism that all views contrary to thier own should be silinced and in for the most part are.

Now you say it is government entities that are the only ones who have to allow for freedom of speech but I say that it is everyones responsibility to assure freedom of speech is allowed across all platforms.
    @all4actt
    but I say that it is everyones responsibility to assure freedom of speech is allowed across all platforms.
    Not privately owned platforms... The right to free speech doesn't entail a right to an audience... 

There's no way I will let the KKK, Nazis, evangelicals or flat Earth loonies hold speeches on my lawn and, YES all those privately owned platforms (youtube, facebook, etc) are exactly like privately owned lawns...  

When we say it's a "free speech" issue, we're implicitly using the legal definition and bottom line: It protects you from the government punishing or censoring or oppressing your speech. It doesn't apply to private organizations. 

There's no way out of it... 

Now, we can talk here about the concept of "free speech", the abstract philosophical grounds for the flow of ideas, its benefits, its failings and everything in between if we were in your living room or mine, but as much as I care for free speech, if anyone is in my home and they start spewing nonsense, I'm under no obligation whatsoever to listen to said nonsense and throw them out of my house as unceremoniously as I want...
    AlofRI
    plaffelvohphen

Your right. Your always right (said sarcasticly)

No one says you have to litsen to others opinions that contradict yours in your living room, although I don't know why anyone ever go to you to have an open discussion about something that is contrary to your beliefs.  You don't appear to be the type of think tank that that would be open to the idea that you might be wrong about anything.

I say this not just because of this particular debate but because of other debates and comments made by you.

So of course you would believe censorship of ideas that are not your own even though you can choose (as I am sure you do) not to litsen or read opinions that are not your own on any platform.

By all means lets encourage private companies to censor decending opinions like North Korea and China do.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @all4actt

I will avoid responding to the barely veiled ad hominem, but this here is fallacious:
    By all means lets encourage private companies to censor decending opinions like North Korea and China do.
    North Korea and China are governments, they are not private entities...

Youtube, facebook, etc, are private properties in the same way my living room is a private property...  How is that hard to understand??
    AlofRI
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @AlofRI Free speech is a human right.
    AlofRI