frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

christians should believe that Jesus is God

Debate Information

jesus is God. (God and man, actually)
I admit I used to hesitate to say he's God.. but I hesitated more to say he's not. most bible verses i saw were too debateable. then i saw some that weren't so arguable. and i'm one to give the bible the benefit of the doubt... so... I go with God...

Romans 9:5 - ...Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen.

Titus 2:13-15 - ...our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,

Hebrews 1:8 - But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever"

2 Peter 1:1 - ...the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ"

at the beginning of the book of John... "In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us". Jesus became flesh and dwelt amoung us.. Jesus is the word.

In John, Jesus at one point says "unless you believe that I AM he, you will surely perish in your sins". only God is ever referenced to as I AM, and Jesus and everyone else knew it.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I agree. I believe Jesus is God, in human flesh.
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  

Is these scriptures really saying Jesus is God?

The reason these scriptures are half quoted because they're are taken out of context.

Romans 9:5 - "They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises. To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen"

The subject is the Israelites, so if this scripture is referencing who is God, then the Israelite's race is God.
    That is why the appropriate wording of this scripture needs to adjusted.

Romans 9:5 - "Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen." - KJV
    Romans 9:5 - "whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen."

These verisons show the proper way this scripture should be phrased.

So this scripture is not staying Jesus is God, it is saying the Israelite's is God blessed.
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  

Are reference to the term God and Jesus interchangable?
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    Titus 2:13-15
    Hebrews 1:8
    2 Peter 1:1
    There are two people being referenced.

The proper translation of John 1:1
    "In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God, and the Word was divine. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us"

The "I AM" is an Angel.
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  

1 timothy 1:17 - "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen."
    Qualities that apply to God
    James 1:13 - "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:"
    God incapable of sin
    Luke 4:2 - "where for forty days He was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and when they had ended, He was hungry."
    Jesus capable of sin
    Luke 22:43 - "Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him."
    Jesus needs to be strengthened.
    Isaiah 40:26 - "Lift up your eyes on high And see who has created these stars, The One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, Not one of them is missing."
    God has strength of a all the stars in the universe (in other words endless strength)

Many people have similarities.
    One difference separates them from another.
    Jesus has too many differences, that distinguish him from being God.

God - King Eternal
    Jesus - Begotten
    God - immortal
    Jesus - mortal
    God - invisible
    Jesus - visible
    God - incapable of sin
    Jesus - capable of sin
    God - endless strength
    Jesus - needs strength

Jesus is not God.

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    It always seemed to me that, if Jesus was God, it was an early circumstance of "multiple personalities". One  destroyed cities, turned people to stone, killed their first born, demanded Trumpian loyalty. The other healed, fed, protected and talked softly even about those who meant Him harm. Today they STILL talk about Jesus' "love", and how He "saves", while they say that the flood/tornado, etc., was "an act of God". 

I kind'a like ONE of his personalities, the other basically sucks. I don't know what to make of the third. Actually, I don't know what to make of the religion as a whole, and the "the" preceding religion isn't actually necessary. I'd rather live by societies rules .... which are, basically, the Jesus personality. As Thomas Paine put it: "Belief in a cruel god makes a cruel man." 

Sand
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  

The reason that is the case is because angels speak on God's behalf as if they are God. You see a glimpse of what is going on in 2 Chronicles 18:18-22.
    The angels have a discussion with God on how to handle King Ahab. Then one angel with God's permission goes speaks on God's behalf.
    So the many different personalities are the different angel's discussions.

Jesus the first angel, spent the most time with God. When he was manifested he displayed the strongest quality of God.

That is why the Bible says at 1 John 4:20 - "If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a ; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen."

You cannot be religious and do violence to your fellow man. That goes for every religion.

• SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    Going back to the discussion of Jesus being God.
    There are too many things that indicate Jesus is not God.
    They are overlooked in order to allow the possibility of Jesus being God.
    If you look at YeshuaRedeemed brochure and video, it will use symbolism and deductive reasoning as proof Jesus is God. It is very influential, just like the scriptures linate quoted.
    Nevertheless, if you look back at those same scriptures and ask yourself is this the only conclusion?
    If you look at the context of the information, you see that it is not stating Jesus is God, it is stating quite the opposite.
    In the Trinity there are contradictory terms that are stated all the time.
    Trinitarian simple questions have multiple answers.

The Trinity is very complex. This is why Trinitarians call it a mystery.
    The Trinity is highly illogical. It breaks the laws of logic consistently.
    The Trinity is not scriptual. No where in the scriptures is the concept of the Trinity stated.

Which brings us to why this is important.
    Because the Trinity is a dividing factor.
    The Trinity causes division.
    The reason we have so many different religions because people are divided on simple beliefs.