frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is The Earth Flat?

Debate Information

Convince me.
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    K_Michael said:
    Convince me.

sorry, but @Erfisflat is unavailable to convince you

AmericanFurryBoyAlexOland
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    The most popular theory nowadays is that the Universe - and hence everything inside it, including Earth - is flat. What this means is, as a whole, the Universe is neither a black hole (the mass density is above the equilibrium value, pulling everything inside), nor a white hole (the mass density is below the equilibrium value, pushing everything aside).

Do I "believe" it? I am a scientist, and I only accept direct evidence, which is lacking in this regard. That said, both a black hole Universe and a white hole Universe would be incredibly weird, and while the Universe does not need a reason to be what it is, it still is hard to accept that it can be like this without very serious repercussions, which we would have noticed by now. Hence, I think, it is reasonable (for now) to assume, that the Universe - and hence Earth as well - is flat.

Of course, it by no means implies that every object in the Universe is physically flat. :) The "flatness" refers to the net force distribution, not geometrical shapes. 

Nonetheless, you can say that Earth is flat without being obviously erroneous - given you use a very specific meaning of  the word "flat". 
    Zombieguy1987Josh_Drakeutkarshsingh
  • K_MichaelK_Michael 114 Pts   -  
    What you're saying is that the universe consists of relatively evenly distributed mass?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    @K_Michael

Rather, it is more that the average mass density in our Universe as a whole is such that the energy neither inflows in, nor outflows out of its observable part.

You could also interpret it as the Universe expansion being perfectly compensated by the gravitational pull, on average: the average object moves away from us along with the expansion, not faster or slower than it. 

The more mass there is, the stronger the average gravitational pull. Too much mass would make objects lag behind the expansion, and too little mass would make the object distribution blow up, with galaxies flying off each other at incredible speeds. The currently dominating theory is that the amount of mass is just right - but whether this is actually the case or not, is hard to say. We definitely cannot measure it properly as of now, and our opinion is mostly based on "it would be weird if it was not the case".
    Zombieguy1987Josh_Drake
  • K_MichaelK_Michael 114 Pts   -  
    That's kinda off topic. I'm concerned as to whether or not the 3-dimensional shape of the earth is a globe, or some sort of flat disc.
  • @Zombieguy1987 Where the hell did Erfy go/
    AmericanFurryBoy
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987 Where the hell did Erfy go/

Maybe he went to the "Ice wall" to prove that the earth is flat and fell, and then fell over the edge into space

AmericanFurryBoy
  • NamesNames 20 Pts   -  
    All I will do is simply share this image with you. images-assets.nasa.gov/image/PIA18033/PIA18033~orig.jpg This picture comes from the official NASA website. NASA is an agency of the federal government of the United States. If one truthfully believes that an entire government agency worth of people can all collectively keep their conspiracy under wraps, I would urge them to consult a healthcare professional regarding a schizophrenia diagnosis.
    Zombieguy1987
    “There are always risks in challenging excessive police power, but the risks of not challenging it are more dangerous, even fatal.” 

― Hunter S. Thompson
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    Earth is not flat. There is scientific evidence. Here is one you can see for your self. Can you see a horizon? That is evidence that the Earth is spherical. Another one is can you see the sun every second of a day? Can you just see black every second of the day? Can you see sunrise/sunset every second of the day? If you can`t then the Earth is not flat. It is spherical but has a bulge around its middle effected by the moons gravity.
    ZeusAres42zacharyvires
  • MayCaesar said:
    The most popular theory nowadays is that the Universe - and hence everything inside it, including Earth - is flat. What this means is, as a whole, the Universe is neither a black hole (the mass density is above the equilibrium value, pulling everything inside), nor a white hole (the mass density is below the equilibrium value, pushing everything aside).

Do I "believe" it? I am a scientist, and I only accept direct evidence, which is lacking in this regard. That said, both a black hole Universe and a white hole Universe would be incredibly weird, and while the Universe does not need a reason to be what it is, it still is hard to accept that it can be like this without very serious repercussions, which we would have noticed by now. Hence, I think, it is reasonable (for now) to assume, that the Universe - and hence Earth as well - is flat.

Of course, it by no means implies that every object in the Universe is physically flat. :) The "flatness" refers to the net force distribution, not geometrical shapes. 

Nonetheless, you can say that Earth is flat without being obviously erroneous - given you use a very specific meaning of  the word "flat". 
    Did I just read this or am I living in a parallel world all of a sudden? :P

• Earth is not flat. There is scientific evidence. Here is one you can see for your self. Can you see a horizon? That is evidence that the Earth is spherical. Another one is can you see the sun every second of a day? Can you just see black every second of the day? Can you see sunrise/sunset every second of the day? If you can`t then the Earth is not flat. It is spherical but has a bulge around its middle effected by the moons gravity.

If not all, definitely most Physicists are in agreement that the earth is spherical and have been for more than the last century now. This really doesn't take much research to discover this, nor does one need to be a genius to realize this nowadays. To say otherwise would be to defy a number of well established scientific laws of Physics.