frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Cake and eat it too

Debate Information

many religious people have trouble believing that the world is much older than their belief of a few thousand years; even though science and archeologists show evidence of it. Yet these people are the first to jump up and shout I told you so when science discovers an actual biblical site. This is basically saying that science is only true when it relates to something that I already believe in. Is this not a bit hypocritical?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlexOlandAlexOland 313 Pts   -  
     Yeah I agree but what is that title?
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    Old saying about you can’t have your cake and eat it too; meaning you can’t have it both ways@AlexOland
  • AlexOlandAlexOland 313 Pts   -  
    @maxx Oh, okay. I don't know how I missed that. The proper saying is "have your cake and eat it (too)" though. And you want to add a negative there like "can't" considering the kind of connection you are making. 
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    I was not attempting perfect grammar and I’m not actually sure if it is you can not. I’ll have to look into it @AlexOland
  • WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -  
    @maxx Pretty much, though to be fair this isn't just a religious problem, most people cherry-pick the experiments that support their view and ignore the rest.
    AlexOlandPlaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    Actually Alex considering the definition of the phrase, not being able to have it both ways, then have your cake and eat it too; would mean just the opposite so I do believe it has to be you cannot have your cake and eat it too @maxx
  • all4acttall4actt 305 Pts   -  
    maxx

What exactly are you asking? 

We all know that the earth and people exisited long before the bible, but it doesn"t change the facts that it is not only preaches a religious belief but is also one record of history. 

Just because someone is religious doesn't mean they disregard science.
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    that they disregard science when it contradicts what the bible says; but accept science when it supports it; I was asking if this is nit being hypocritical.@all4actt
    Maxx

What contradictions are you referring to
    Maxx

What contradictions are you referring to
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    I think your argument is for people in general.

Because the same could be said about science also.
    People disregard the Bible when it contradicts science.
    Despite science history of wrong deductions.

Science will make a conclusion and everyone is considered if you do not agree with it.
    No one listens unless another science theory proves it wrong.

It ok if that second science theory comes about, but what if it is a conclusion that it is impossible to verify.
    Then that first conclusion is considered true, without exceptions.

Nevertheless, people are people, everyone has different beliefs, thoughts, ideas, values, etc.
    It is what makes us human.
    maxx
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    oh heck. I dont know; how about the age of the earth for starters? that's only one. yet of course when science finds a biblical tomb.....@all4actt
  • NeopesdomNeopesdom 157 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    Whether the earth is old or young is just a little side discussion, not what is considered a salvation doctrine. If for example a brother or sister believes in a young earth and I and old one, so what, has no bearing on anything, Scripture does not say how old the earth is anyway.

(For example)
    Welcome to Old Earth Ministries .  OEM exists to examine the claims made by young earth creation ministries, and provide answers to their claims, using sound science and reasoning. The misleading claims of YEC's has led many people to reject Christianity.  However, a proper understanding of the Bible and science shows that you can be a Christian and believe in an old earth. https://www.oldearth.org/
      “Never argue with an id'iot They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -   edited July 2019
    • I think just due to the genealogy and the ages of the people plus when adam was created, the bible says the earth is around 6000 years old.. most anyone with a calculator can trace the ages back to creation and figure out what the bible says about the worlds age. just about every Christian  I heard of goes by this.@Neopesdom
    Maxx

If what your referring to is the anthropological study of the origins of man that subject is in constant change.  They are constantly changing and adjusting opinions as new and older remains are found.

As far as the bible stating the age of the earth. I really don"t remember that being stated. 

I don't know what Christians you have been speaking with but I have never heard the words or claim that the earth is only 6000 years old 

Like I stated before the bible is not only a religious guide it is a historical record of events written by people who lived and witnessed many of the events recorded.

I don't know of any scientific studies that have disproven anything the bible claims.

Whether you choise to believe in God or not is your choice but your challenge of the accuracies of the historical properties or that science has proven it to be wrong is flawed.

So my question again to you is what scientific studies have disproven anything in the bible.
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2673 Pts   -   edited July 2019

Like I stated before the bible is not only a religious guide it is a historical record of events written by people who lived and witnessed many of the events recorded.

Has it ever occurred to you that what has been written might have been exaggerated by laymen?

I don't know of any scientific studies that have disproven anything the bible claims.
    Neither do I, nor do I think they should spend their time or resources trying to bother.  There is so much more to learn that simply trying to prove another's belief wrong.

• maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    are you for real? how old are you . 10?  anyone can go from jesus linage back to adam  by the ages and figure out that what the bible says about the age of the earth. ask your preacher, ask the nun next door; ask anyone.  according to the bible the age of the world is around 6000 years old@all4actt
  • maxx said:
    are you for real? how old are you . 10?  anyone can go from jesus linage back to adam  by the ages and figure out that what the bible says about the age of the earth. ask your preacher, ask the nun next door; ask anyone.  according to the bible the age of the world is around 6000 years old@all4actt
    And sorry to say Maxx but this kind attitude is where you let yourself down in argumentation.
    maxx

• maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    you can not look it up yourself?  I hate links. I can loan you a calculator. according to the bible, how old is the world?  start with joseph and go back by ages through his line to adam. add it up!that will be the age of the world according to the bible; sheese, even eathen knows that
    @ZeusAres42
    Zouseares42
    You said:
    Has it ever occurred to you that what has been written might have been exaggerated by layman

Although many of the events recorded in the bible were written by what you might consider layman. Many were also recorded by historians who were not Christians.  Whether things were exaggerated or a matter of one mans perception (which a lot of history is based on the historians perceptions).  Doesn"t change the claims stated by Maxx who began this discussion.

ZeusAres42maxx

• you can not look it up yourself?  I hate links. I can loan you a calculator. according to the bible, how old is the world?  start with joseph and go back by ages through his line to adam. add it up!that will be the age of the world according to the bible; sheese, even eathen knows that

My previous post was actually just a test if you like to see if you would come out and say something like this which you have; my prediction confirmed.

You have inferred things where there exists nothing to infer; just what you assume. 

And what's more is that you're using derision which is actively undermining your position further, and making you look desperate. 

• Yes, that is a sound point. However, I wasn't really making a reference to the original post; I was referring to your previous one.

• maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    I was not assuming that the world is that age; I was pointing it out that the bible says so. @ZeusAres42

• I was not assuming that the world is that age; I was pointing it out that the bible says so.

Neither did I say or imply you were saying/assuming that.

• NeopesdomNeopesdom 157 Pts   -  
    @maxx ;I think just due to the genealogy and the ages of the people plus when adam was created, the bible says the earth is around 6000 years old.. most anyone with a calculator can trace the ages back to creation and figure out what the bible says about the worlds age. just about every Christian  I heard of goes by this.
    According to this popular Christian website, which is not 100% accurate on everything, but still very useful.

Genesis 1:1–2 states, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.” The gap theory is the view that God created a fully functional earth with all animals, including the dinosaurs and other creatures we know only from the fossil record. Then, the theory goes, something happened to destroy the earth completely—most likely the fall of Satan to earth—so that the planet became without form and void. At this point, God started all over again, recreating the earth in its paradise form as further described in Genesis. The gap theory, which is distinct from theistic evolution and the day-age theory, is also called old-earth creationism, gap creationism, and the ruin-reconstruction theory. -https://www.gotquestions.org/gap-theory.html

Just because the so called majority of Christians goes by something is no indication that it's correct. Christianity is not ruled by popular opinion.
      “Never argue with an id'iot They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain