frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Time and Space are intangible realities.

Debate Information

Time and Space are intangible, undefinable and limitless realities. 

Come what may, there will always be time and there will always be space.

Time and Space do not require human qualification or justification.
raehuiwVaulkthe_worldrandalBaconToesEmeryPearson

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• raehuiwraehuiw 24 Pts   -  
    Time and space is a theory created by scientists it may not have association or be true.
    EmeryPearson
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Ah what a beautifully worded idea.  I believe however, that reality is subjective and therefor not reality at all.  There's a suggestion out there that perception and reality are separate things, that while people believe that their perception is reality...the truth is that there is only one reality and we all have millions of different perceptions of it.  The problem with this idea that perception and reality are separate is the qualification of the statement...exactly who determined this to be so and how is it that we know that their perception is the reality?

The proposal is circular logic, "Reality is a fact and perception is an opinion...says me".  So if I see the world as a beautiful thing, wonderful and magical and then I die...was the World beautiful, wonderful and magical?  Some could say "No, that's just your perception" but this statement is subjective...it's just that person's opinion that it wasn't those things I thought it was.  Just because you didn't see the world as I did...does that mean that you're seeing reality and I'm blinded by my perception?  Who is the qualified judge here?

And time and space not needing human qualification or justification is false in my opinion, being human constructs...I doubt they would exist without any of us on the Earth.  If there were no Human beings on the Planet...would time still pass or would it stand still?  There's no way to test any theory regarding any prediction in this matter.

Loads of fun btw.
    melanielustrandalEmeryPearsonBaconToes
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    What we perceive is time and space can be some weird dimension on a microchip.  The concept of time and space has been challenged in many works of science fiction and shouldn't be taken for granted.  StarTrek time warp technology bridges time and space.  In workholes, we can travel through dimensions and there are wormholes aliens that only exist in that dimension.  If any of these concepts can be true to some degree then time and space is a question mark.
    EmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    The human condition allows us to be aware of time and space. (We are all be scientists)
    Events occur. So there must be time.
    We can move from A to B. So there must be space.
    Therefore time and space are already proved theories.
    ImbsterEmeryPearson
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    Time and space are both very abstract and closely intertwined. We know (for believers in the Big Bang theory such as myself) that time and space in our universe has a definitive beginning.
    EmeryPearson
    Big Bang or not.
    Time and space are two different realities.
    Neither one needs a beginning or an end. As they are intangible and limitless.
    Only humans have the need to attribute boundary, substance and dimension to time and space.
    joecavalrythe_worldEmeryPearsonBaconToes
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    @Fredsnephew , I agree with you.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • the_worldthe_world 32 Pts   -  
    @Fredsnephew , Time and Space is a scientific theory. They believe in this method.
    EmeryPearson
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Time and space are two separate dimensions that we perceive as tied together based on our current level of scientific understanding.  Beginning and end are only concepts that we can percieve to explain current reality.  It is conciebale that someone or something can travel through time and space in a way that is foreign to us
    EmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
    It is very hard to rationalise time and space.
    Without attributing quality and substance.
    But time and space have no quality or substance.
    That is to say, time and space do not actually exist.
    Time and space are simply realities.
    Movement and duration are obviously relative to time and space.
    But more importantly, movement and duration are qualities relative to matter.
    As time and space do not actually exist. They therefore did not need to be created and do not need to be explained.
    It is only the existence of matter that requires explanation.
    randalEmeryPearson
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    Time and space are no infinite or intangible.  It's not really possible.  Time never existed before the universe was created.  

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."  

This proves time was not a thing before since it that "In the beginning".  It would instead say "In the beginning of the universe...".  Believe in creation or not, the big bang theory agrees that there was a beginning and beginning has to do with time.  You cannot have a beginning if it is infinite or intangible.  Genesis 1:1 also proves space was created there. "the heavens and the earth."  All of matter and space created there.  And it ties in with "In the beginning".  Whatever your beliefs, both ideas about our universe have beginnings.  
    EmeryPearsonBaconToes
    Time and space are no infinite or intangible.  It's not really possible.  Time never existed before the universe was created.  

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."  

This proves time was not a thing before since it that "In the beginning".  It would instead say "In the beginning of the universe...".  Believe in creation or not, the big bang theory agrees that there was a beginning and beginning has to do with time.  You cannot have a beginning if it is infinite or intangible.  Genesis 1:1 also proves space was created there. "the heavens and the earth."  All of matter and space created there.  And it ties in with "In the beginning".  Whatever your beliefs, both ideas about our universe have beginnings.  
    Answer me a simple question.
    Who or what is god and where did they come from?
    Your assertion relies on the existence of God before the creation of the universe.
    So presumably God existed in time and space somewhere before he/she/it embarked upon their creative journey.
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    @Fredsnephew For our universe to exist, we need a creator outside of the laws of time who can control and manipulate it.  God is timeless and never changing.  https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools/booklets/lifes-ultimate-question-does-god-exist/a-god-not-bound-by-space-and-time

Now where did God come from?  He has always existed and He is the one ultimate cause.  The law of cause and effect makes it impossible to not have a creator since the universe needed a cause, and the universe is tangible.  Matter cannot be created or destroyed remember.  http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/who-created-god-is-god-outside-of-time/

EmeryPearsonBaconToes
  • randalrandal 67 Pts   -  
    @fredsnephew , good point and same to you @SuperSith89 ! :)
    SuperSith89EmeryPearson
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -   edited May 2018
    Time and Space are equatable. They are the same thing. And they are not limitless.

Spacetime as we understand it doesn't exist outside the expansion of the universe, making it as finite as the universe.

It is definitely not intangible either. For instance, as you increase speed, time slows down from your perspective, but not an observer who is stationary in relation to you. Space for instance, compresses in front of your direction of travel as you approach the speed of light, allowing you to reach distances thousands of lightyears away in a matter of years from your perspective. These are very tangible effects.

https://www.space.com/17661-theory-general-relativity.html
    http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2015/12/what-is-spacetime-really/. ;
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    @SuperSith89
    "For our universe to exist, we need a creator outside of the laws of time who can control and manipulate it.  God is timeless and never changing.  https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools/booklets/lifes-ultimate-question-does-god-exist/a-god-not-bound-by-space-and-time

Now where did God come from?  He has always existed and He is the one ultimate cause.  The law of cause and effect makes it impossible to not have a creator since the universe needed a cause, and the universe is tangible.  Matter cannot be created or destroyed remember."

I like how you denied science and then turned 180 degrees.
    Why does a universe need a creator to control it? I'm pretty sure the universe is fine without God.
    A common argument against the Big Bang. 
    "The first law of thermodynamics doesn't actually specify that matter can neither be created nor destroyed, but instead that the total amount of energy in a closed system cannot be created nor destroyed (though it can be changed from one form to another)."
    "Quantum mechanics states that, on a very, very tiny scale and for very, very, very short lengths of time, energy can be spontaneously be created and destroyed. Kind of like boiling water, where bubbles spontaneously appear and burst, energy - in the form of particles - can spontaneously appear from the void of spacetime, exist for a tremendously short amount of time, and disappear again."
    http://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/askaphysicist/physics-answer.cfm?uid=20120221015143 ;

i fart cows