frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Religion Ever Child Abuse?

1235»

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2668 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    TKDB said:
    I find it stunning, that none of the anti religious individuals thus far, aren't running to defend Mr. Dawkins, and his anti religious argument?

After all isn't, "Religion Ever Child Abuse?"

I find it stunning, that none of the anti-Atheist individuals thus far, aren't running to defend Dr. William Lane Craig and his anti Atheist argument?

After all isn't, "Atheism Ever Child Abuse?"

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

I find it stunning, that none of the anti Atheist  individuals thus far, aren't running to defend Mr. Craig , and his anti Atheist  argument?

ZeusAres42TKDB
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

I'm sorry, why shouldn't some parents, be offended when the read this as a question? 

"Is Atheism Ever Child Abuse?"

Shouldn't there be some kind of EVIDENCE to support such a claim, so that the Atheist  parents can be educated on the anti Atheists points of view? 

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    @Dee

@ZeusAres42

I'm not sure, but can the Athiest mindset, in a sense, maybe be viewed, as a probable type of child abuse? 

What are your thoughts, Dee, and ZeusAres42?

ZeusAres42

• You probably already know this that a question is not a claim. A claim is a proposition, statement, premise, etc.

The question "is religion ever child abuse" is not a claim, nor is it a rhetorical question.

To call this question a claim and ask to provide evidence for it is as ludicrous as a suspect asking a police officer to provide evidence for their demands when they tell the suspect to put their hands on their head. 

This question is a question that has been explored before by both respectful and mature Theists and Atheist in other debates in the past as well.
    TKDB

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

I’m merely mirroring TK’s arguments Z , it amuses me 
    ZeusAres42
    @ZeusAres42

So what is the truth, can the Athiest mindset be capable of child abuse?

@Dee

Can the Athiest mindset be capable of child abuse.

It's not a hard question.

@ZeusAres42

Because the below is an example of your individual thinking, isn't it? 

"You probably already know this that a question is not a claim. A claim is a proposition, statement, premise, etc. 

The question "is religion ever child abuse" is not a claim, nor is it a rhetorical question. 

(But the above statement, is a statement, that you created, right?)

To call this question a claim and ask to provide evidence for it is as ludicrous as a suspect asking a police officer to provide evidence for their demands when they tell the suspect to put their hands on their head.  

This question is a question that has been explored before by both respectful and mature Theists and Atheist in other debates in the past as well."

What question is a question, that has been explored before, by the Theists, and the Athiests?

Is this the statement, that you are referring to?

"Is Religion ever child abuse?"

So if I Google the above question, how many websites will become available, besides debate island?

Can you provide legitimate links to those other respectful and mature Athiests, and Thiests websites, because I'm sure, that myself and millions of other's would like to educate ourselves on your provided links?

Maybe from the United States, or the United Kingdom as well? 

If some were to Google:

"Is Athiesm ever child abuse?"

How many websites will become available?

Quite a few are available, did you know that @ZeusAres42?

https://www.atheists.org/2018/04/update-regarding-david-silverman/

American Atheists

"News & Blog

Update Regarding David Silverman

APRIL 13, 2018  AMERICAN ATHEISTS  STATEMENTS
    Cranford, NJ—The chair of the American Atheists Board of Directors, Neal Cary, has released the following statement:

Last night, the American Atheists Board of Directors voted to terminate David Silverman as President of American Atheists. Board Chair Neal Cary and Vice President Kathleen Johnson will continue to fulfill the duties of the President while National Program Director Nick Fish oversees the day-to-day operations of the organization.

On April 9, 2018, the Board of Directors placed President David Silverman on leave pending a review of allegations raised regarding Mr. Silverman’s conduct. The Board of Directors has reviewed internal documents and communications related to the initial complaint as well as evidence relating to the additional allegations brought to the Board’s attention. Today’s announcement is based on these findings, and the Board intends to cooperate with any future investigations.American Atheists is committed to creating and maintaining an environment that is safe and welcoming to all. Based on the allegations made, and the evidence presented, the Board believes it is prudent and necessary to reaffirm that commitment and move forward with new leadership.The staff of American Atheists will continue our mission to advocate for the absolute separation of religion from government, to elevate the profile of atheism in public discourse, and to build and strengthen communities that fully represent the growing number of atheists in America. We thank our members, supporters, and volunteers for their dedication and support of our mission. "
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

You say ....

My reply .....

Can the Christian mindset be capable of child abuse.

It's not a hard question, ask Lane Craig to answer for you if you want?
    ZeusAres42

I am aware that you are mirroring his childish arguments as you're definitely not going to get a serious mature discussion out of him; that's for sure.

I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is for someone to ask you to provide evidence for a question. It's akin to me asking you "How are you today?" And you respond with "Have you got any evidence to back up that claim."
    Plaffelvohfen

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    @ZeusAres42

Sorry Z , I get it now ....How are you today?" And you respond with "Have you got any evidence to back up that claim." 

That made me laugh that sounds exactly like something T K would ask 
    ZeusAres42
    @ZeusAres42

"I am aware that you are mirroring his childish arguments as you're definitely not going to get a serious mature discussion out of him; that's for sure. 

I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is for someone to provide evidence for a question. It's akin to me asking you "How are you today?" And you respond with "Have you got any evidence to back up that claim." 

@ZeusAres42
    Where is your respectful and mature answer?

@ZeusAres42

So what is the truth, can the Athiest mindset be capable of child abuse?

@Dee 

@ZeusAres42 

Because the below is an example of your individual thinking, isn't it? 

"You probably already know this that a question is not a claim. A claim is a proposition, statement, premise, etc. 

(But the above statement, is a statement, that you created, right?)

This question is a question that has been explored before by both respectful and mature Theists and Atheist in other debates in the past as well."

What question is a question, that has been explored before, by the Theists, and the Athiests?

Is this the statement, that you are referring to?

"Is Religion ever child abuse?"

So if I Google the above question, how many websites will become available, besides debate island?

Can you provide legitimate links to those other respectful and mature Athiests, and Thiests websites, because I'm sure, that myself and millions of other's would like to educate ourselves on your provided links?

Maybe from the United States, or the United Kingdom as well? 

If some were to Google:

"Is Athiesm ever child abuse?"

How many websites will become available?

Quite a few are available, did you know that @ZeusAres42?

https://www.atheists.org/2018/04/update-regarding-david-silverman/

American Atheists

"News & Blog

Update Regarding David Silverman

APRIL 13, 2018  AMERICAN ATHEISTS  STATEMENTS
    Cranford, NJ—The chair of the American Atheists Board of Directors, Neal Cary, has released the following statement:

Last night, the American Atheists Board of Directors voted to terminate David Silverman as President of American Atheists. Board Chair Neal Cary and Vice President Kathleen Johnson will continue to fulfill the duties of the President while National Program Director Nick Fish oversees the day-to-day operations of the organization.

On April 9, 2018, the Board of Directors placed President David Silverman on leave pending a review of allegations raised regarding Mr. Silverman’s conduct. The Board of Directors has reviewed internal documents and communications related to the initial complaint as well as evidence relating to the additional allegations brought to the Board’s attention. Today’s announcement is based on these findings, and the Board intends to cooperate with any future investigations.American Atheists is committed to creating and maintaining an environment that is safe and welcoming to all. Based on the allegations made, and the evidence presented, the Board believes it is prudent and necessary to reaffirm that commitment and move forward with new leadership.The staff of American Atheists will continue our mission to advocate for the absolute separation of religion from government, to elevate the profile of atheism in public discourse, and to build and strengthen communities that fully represent the growing number of atheists in America. We thank our members, supporters, and volunteers for their dedication and support of our mission. " 
    ZeusAres42
    @Dee

"Sorry Z , I get it now ....How are you today?" And you respond with "Have you got any evidence to back up that claim." 

That made me laugh that sounds exactly like something T K would ask"

And the public, has seen what you bring to the conversation table?

Unless, you don't have a counter argument either, to bring to the table in regards to Religion, or Athiesm in regards to child abuse? 

(You say ....

It's not a hard question.)

Because the below is your reply:

From Dee: "My reply .....

Can the Christian mindset be capable of child abuse.

It's not a hard question, ask Lane Craig to answer for you if you want? "

@Dee

Where is your respecful, and mature answer? 
  • I believe that religion is not ever a child abuse because religion itself can teach a child to behave better and know a more understanding of the religion and also , because its not really hurting the child.
    We cannot say that religion in itself is always abuse or never abuse as to make either claims would be logically invalid. My argument has never been that religion in itself is abuse despite the fact that an immature member here keeps arguing to me as if I have, and you can verify this by scrolling through my own posts in this thread. In fact I will happily give anyone 100$ if they can find anywhere within this debate that I either said or implied that religion in itself was child abuse. I recognize that I cannot say this as it would be invalid.

My argument is and has been througout this debate that some adopted religious belief systems can and have lead to harm being done to other people around them including children. Such as for example the parent that doesn't give their children the medical attention they need or deserve which ultimately leads to the cruel death of that child, all because the parent actually believes they are serving God. Likewise, the religious extremists that blow up buildings and cause the cruel death of multiple men, women, and children. These are all forms of abuse in highest degree of severity. 

Furthermore, I had also stated in my argument that I agree children should be taught about religion but at the same time they should also be allowed to grow up and decide for themselves what to beleive or what not to believe.

Finally, of course it was the people that had these beliefs that commited the actions but that still doesn't change the fact that they were harmful and dangerous belief systems.
    PlaffelvohfenTKDB

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

Can an Athiest minded individual be capable of child abuse?

The answer is yes.

Just like an Religious minded individual can be capable of child abuse.

Because Religious parents have been incarcerated for their abuse, and that's the truth.

But Religion in general, No.

And the Athiest ideology in general, No.

TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

Can an Athiest minded individual be capable of child abuse?

The answer is yes.

Just like an Religious minded individual can be capable of child abuse.

But Religion in general, No.

And the Athiest ideology in general, No.

I don't know if you realize this yet or not but you're quote here is pretty much in agreement with my most previous post. Which doesn't make any sense as to why you disagreed with my most previous post when what you say here is pretty much line with stuff that I have been saying. And this also makes me wonder if you just like to make arguments against people for the sake of it? Anyway, as for Atheism that is not an adopted belief system; it is more of a lack of belief. This is also epitomized in its etymology -  

1570s, "godless person, one who denies the existence of a supreme, intelligent being to whom moral obligation is due," from French athéiste (16c.), from Greek atheos "without god, denying the gods; abandoned of the gods; godless, ungodly," from a- "without" (see a- (3)) + theos "a god" (from PIE root *dhes-, forming words for religious concepts).

https://www.etymonline.com/word/atheist

However, yes it is plausible that an Atheist individual could be a person that is also a child abuser; no one is disputing that.

@ZeusAres42

I answered the question for you.

@ZeusAres42

So what is the truth, can the Atheist mindset be capable of child abuse?

No, but an atheist minded individual is capable of child abuse.

Can the Religious mindset be capable of child abuse?

No, but the religious minded individual is capable of child abuse.  

"I don't know if you realize this yet or not but you're quote here is pretty much in agreement with my most previous post."

@ZeusAres42

No, because your opinion appears to be anti RELIGION minded, if a religious individual abuses a child, yes, or no?

"which does make me wonder if you just like to make arguments against people for the sake of it. It also makes no sense here that what you're saying is in agreement with my previous post and yet you disagree with it? Anyway, as for Atheism that is not an adopted belief system; it is more of a lack of belief. This is also epitomized in its etymology.

Let me guess, you're psychology student?  

"1570s, "godless person, one who denies the existence of a supreme, intelligent being to whom moral obligation is due," from French athéiste (16c.), from Greek atheos "without god, denying the gods; abandoned of the gods; godless, ungodly," from a- "without" (see a- (3)) + theos "a god" (from PIE root *dhes-, forming words for religious concepts). 

https://www.etymonline.com/word/atheist 

However, yes it is plausible that an Atheist individual could be a person that is also a child abuser; no one is disputing that."

@ZeusAres42

You make debating difficult from the platform of your individual mindset.

You appear to be playing games, and then you're having a chat with @Dee at the same time, during the posts? 

I debate any issue, from how an argument is presented.

I also disagree, with some who go out of their debating way, to verbally express, about making fun of an individual, while a debate is going on either, like some have, especially from the platforms of being mature, and respectful?

I don't understand that debating style. 

• SandSand 307 Pts   -  

Religious literacy has a number of advantages:

A Healthier Longer Life
    A 1998 Duke University Medical Center study found that religiously active people are 40% less likely to have high blood pressure.

A 1997 Duke University Medical Center showed religious people have a stronger immune system, low levels of interleukin-6, an inflammatory protein in the immune system linked to certain cancers, autoimmune diseases, and some viral infections.

A 1999 Duke University Medical Center study found attending religious services more than once a week has been linked to an additional seven years of life, compared to those who never go.

A 2009 American Medical Association study showed stronger resilience from advanced-stage cancers during treatment.

Happier With Better Ethics
    A 2010 study in the American Sociological Review religious people are more happier and score higher in terms of life-satisfaction than non-believers plus strong social bonds

Religious people are more forgiving and show more gratitude.

Kids has been shown to result in less juvenile delinquency, less drug use including less smoking, better school attendance, and a higher probability of graduating from high school.

Adults who regularly attend religious services also commit fewer crimes, less likely to end up on welfare and unemployed.

People who are regular religious attendees give more money to charity than other people, which does much good in their communities.

A 1998 study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry, older patients who suffered from depression recovered better from their mental struggles if religion was an intrinsic part of their lives.

A 2010 study showed religious persons handled worry feelings better, soothed anxiety associated with making mistakes, and dealt with setbacks more gracefully.

Just to name a few.
    ZeusAres42
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    @Sand

Links to actual studies would've been nice, you're just name dropping at the moment... 

But that's ok, as it can be demonstrated that those benefits are not of religious origin...

1. On a global scale, it is statistically demonstrable that the more religion is important in a country, the more poverty and sickness are important factors... 

The claim that religious people are healthier does not stand up when we compare secular countries with religious ones. 

2. Now, if we compare citizen of the same country, like say the US, it is true that religious people do seem to be healthier than their more secular compatriots... Researchers at Duke University did found that religious rituals function as an anti-stress mechanism (link). They demonstrated that individual prayer, as well as church services, reduce blood pressure... But they do conclude (see prior link) that "Much more research is needed to understand how these relationships operate (religious involvement and mental and physical health) and whether they are causal." 

Fact is, any practice that lowers blood pressure on a regular basis, whether it is pleasant social interactions with friends, or physical exercise, reduces the risk of heart disease... Religion is not needed to get those benefits... Prayers and rituals have their secular counterparts that may produce the same stress-management benefits. Secular meditation counteracts stress in much the same way as prayer, according to experiments.

The fact that religion use meditating techniques (prayers, rituals, etc), doesn't make those techniques religious...

SandZeusAres42
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

Do you have any information, on how the anti religious mindset, might affect an individuals health, or those individuals around an anti religious mindset?

After watching a few of the video's with Mr. Richard Dawkins, explaining his opinions, some of the others around himself, who don't share his mindset, appear to be frustrated, and uncomfortable with his word's, in regards to his anti religious platform? 

Plaffelvohfen
    TKDB said:

@ZeusAres42

No, because your opinion appears to be anti RELIGION minded, if a religious individual abuses a child, yes, or no?

No, in order for someone to generally appear anti-religion minded they would have to actually either say they were generally anti-religion minded or say something that would indicate they were generally anti-religion minded. Since neither has been done by me I cannot generally appear anti-religion minded. If you TKDB or anyone can find anywhere within this thread that I said I was generally anti-religious or indicated that I'll happily give you or anyone who finds this 100$.

It is far more likely that you have preconceived notions about me being a generally anti-religion minded individual and hence you base all your rhetoric and arguments on those preconceived notions instead of actually taking the time to properly read what I say and actually having a discussion about what was said by me.

Furthermore, even if I was generally anti-religion minded that would be irrelevant to the validity of the content of my arguments. In the same way, I cannot say that you are forming your posts based on the fact that you are religious. Also, in the same way, that a Liberal cannot say that what a Republican is saying is invalid because they are a Republican. To do this is also what is known as Ad Hominem Circumstantial -

Ad Hominem (Circumstantial)

argumentum ad hominem

(also known as: appeal to motive, appeal to personal interest, argument from motives, conflict of interest, faulty motives, naïve cynicism, questioning motives, vested interest)https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/9/Ad-Hominem-Circumstantial

Lastly, I also urge you to be careful with your next choice of words in your posts, because if you say anything to imply and or portray me like some bad anti-religious person I will have to start flagging your posts and reporting you again. Because to portray me in this way is a very malicious thing to do and it's most definitely not the actions of someone that is fair, honest, or even a decent Christian I might also add for that matter, and it is most definitely not someone that is pro-humanity.

Plaffelvohfen

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

Thats a good idea I must start reporting and flagging him as he’s possibly the most dishonest debater on site. I bet he starts asking you about Dawkins next 
    Plaffelvohfen
    @ZeusAres42

You created this forum:

And I'm sorry to pose this question, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement? 

"Is Religion Ever Child Abuse?"

Shouldn't there be some kind of evidence, to support such a statement? 
    @Dee

And reiterating my previous point:

I'm sorry, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement? 

Shouldn't there be some kind of evidence to support such a claim, so that the Religious parents can be educated on the expressed statement?

@Dee

Where is your evidence to support your individual statement?

"he’s possibly the most dishonest debater on site."

The below is my position:

(I don't care if an individual is Athiest, Theist, Christian, or Muslim, or what have you? 

I'm pro humanity, pro family, and anti hate minded.

And its easier to be abusive, and it's easier to hate, than it is, to leave people alone, who haven't done anything to others, by going after their individual religious preferences, and are being peaceful towards their own families, and the humanity around them.)
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

You’re dishonest , deceitful , a and a coward of spectacular proportions 
    Plaffelvohfen
    @Dee

"My reply .....Every one of your infantile posts will verify the veracity of my words."

(Can an Athiest minded individual, be capable of child abuse?)

The above is an infantile post? 

@Dee

(I'm sorry, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement? 

Shouldn't there be some kind of evidence to support such a claim, so that the Religious parents can be educated on the expressed statement?)

• TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

You created this forum:

And I'm sorry to pose this question, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement? 

The trouble with your reasoning here is that this isn't a statement. It's a question that invites discussion.

Furthermore, questions are meant to be read as questions; not statements. If you read a question as a statement then I can only infer that you most likely  have difficulty I
    n differentiating between questions and statements. 
    PlaffelvohfenDee

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @TKDB

My reply ....It is like all your posts , but I cannot expect anything else  from an  
    Plaffelvohfen
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

"The trouble with your reasoning here is that this isn't a statement. It's a question that invites discussion."

Furthermore, questions are meant to be read as questions; not statements. If you read a question as a statement then I can only infer that you most likely  have difficulty in differentiating between questions and statements."

There isn't any difficulty.

https://wikidiff.com/statement/question

"Question vs Statement - What's the difference?"

"As nouns the difference between question and statement"

"is that question is a sentence, phrase or word which asks for information, reply or response; an interrogative while statement is a declaration or remark."

"As verbs the difference between question and statement"

" is that question is to ask questions of; interrogate; enquire; ask for information while statement is to provide an official document of a proposition, especially in the uk a statement of special educational needs. "

You posed a set of word's, with a question mark at the end of it?

I was merely replying to the question, that you presented? 
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
    @Dee

"My reply ....It is like all your posts , but I cannot expect anything else  from an ."

Re-asking you the same questions, that your above response apparently avoided?

@Dee

"My reply .....Every one of your infantile posts will verify the veracity of my words."

Again, can you please answer the question?

(Can an Athiest minded individual, be capable of child abuse?)

Is the above an infantile post?

@Dee

(I'm sorry, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement? 

Shouldn't there be some kind of evidence to support such a claim, so that the Religious parents can be educated on the expressed statement?)

PlaffelvohfenDee
    TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

"The trouble with your reasoning here is that this isn't a statement. It's a question that invites discussion."

Furthermore, questions are meant to be read as questions; not statements. If you read a question as a statement then I can only infer that you most likely  have difficulty in differentiating between questions and statements."

"is that question is a sentence, phrase or word which asks for information, reply or response; an interrogative while statement is a declaration or remark."

" is that question is to ask questions of; interrogate; enquire; ask for information while statement is to provide an official document of a proposition, especially in the uk a statement of special educational needs. "

The following is what was actually stated by TKDB before he responed to me again with the above. Important: Look at the bits highlighted in bold by me: I will let other readers and MOD be the judge here.
    TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

You created this forum:

ZeustAres42 said:
    The trouble with your reasoning here is that this isn't a statement. It's a question that invites discussion.

Furthermore, questions are meant to be read as questions; not statements. If you read a question as a statement then I can only infer that you most likely have difficulty in differentiating between questions and statements. 

Plaffelvohfen

@ZeusAres42

I'm basing my argument, on what I've experienced, through my own experiences.

You created this forum:

And I'm sorry to pose this question, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement? 

ZeustAres42
     said:
    The trouble with your reasoning here is that this isn't a statement. It's a question that invites discussion.

Furthermore, questions are meant to be read as questions; not statements. If you read a question as a statement then I can only infer that you most likely have difficulty in differentiating between questions and statements 

@ZeusAres42

And then I found below definitions for questions, and statements:

"As verbs the difference between question and statement"" is that question is to ask questions of; interrogate; enquire; ask for information while statement is to provide an official document of a proposition, especially in the uk a statement of special educational needs. "

I disagree with your question, that is the theme of this forum.

I've been to various Religious buildings, and have yet to see, or hear about, any child abuse, in regards to how you went about formulating your question.

My position is that various individuals have abused children, but no Religion, that I'm familiar with, had anything, to do with those individual abusers actions. 

Because, I have yet to hear anything from any of the news media outlets, express to the public, about such a happening.

This question here, is from another website:
    "Should the indoctrination of children into religion be considered child abuse?"
    And it would be educational, to see your question, and the above question, being explored before the Supreme Court of the United States.

Because, I believe it would be educational to see how they view those questions, through their own questioning of them.

Plaffelvohfen
  • TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

The following is what was actually stated by TKDB before he responed to me again with the above. Important: Look at the bits highlighted in bold by me: I will let other readers and MOD be the judge here.
    TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

You created this forum:

ZeustAres42 said:

Furthermore, questions are meant to be read as questions; not statements. If you read a question as a statement then I can only infer that you most likely have difficulty in differentiating between questions and statements. 

• TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42

I'm basing my argument, on what I've experienced, through my own experiences.

And I'm basing my argument as well on your forum question:

You created this forum:

And I'm sorry to pose this question, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement? 

ZeustAres42
     said:
    The trouble with your reasoning here is that this isn't a statement. It's a question that invites discussion.

Furthermore, questions are meant to be read as questions; not statements. If you read a question as a statement then I can only infer that you most likely have difficulty in differentiating between questions and statements 

@ZeusAres42 

And then I found below definitions for questions, and statements:

"As verbs the difference between question and statement"" is that question is to ask questions of; interrogate; enquire; ask for information while statement is to provide an official document of a proposition, especially in the uk a statement of special educational needs. "

I've been to various Religious buildings, and have yet to see, or hear about, any child abuse, in regards to how you went about formulating your question.

My position is that various individuals have abused children, but no Religion, that I'm familiar with, had anything, to do with those individual abusers actions. 

Because, I have yet to hear anything from any of the news media outlets, express to the public, about such a happening.

This question here, is from another website:
    "Should the indoctrination of children into religion be considered child abuse?"

And it would be educational, to see your question, and the above question, being explored before the Supreme Court of the United States.

Because, I believe it would be educational to see how they view those questions, through their own questioning of them. 

• TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

The following is what was actually stated by TKDB before he responded to me again with the above quote. Important: Look at the bits highlighted in bold by me: I will let other readers and MOD be the judge here.
    TKDB said:
    @ZeusAres42

You created this forum:

ZeustAres42 said:

• @Sand

I would like to thank you for keeping this debate on topic. We may not always agree with each other but at least you have the human decency to actually have a discussion about the actual topic as opposed to continue to troll the debate portraying someone else as a bad person.
    Sand

@ZeusAres42

https://www.debate.org/opinions/should-the-indoctrination-of-children-into-religion-be-considered-child-abuse

One of the responses from the participants:

"Would parents teach their young child to have a particular political bias?

How weird it would be to expect to have a deep political discussion with an 8 year old. So why should we unquestioningly expect that same child to critically analyse his/her fundamental religious beliefs? By all means, Talk about what you feel is right for you as an adult. . . But allow the child to make his/her own mind up. And for that to happen. . ."

Here's your forum question:

"Is Religion Ever Child Abuse:

And my response to your posed question:

(And I'm sorry to pose this question, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement?)

(Shouldn't there be some kind of evidence, to support such a statement?)

What might be wrong, in asking for some evidence to support your question?

And your statements, that followed your question:

"I think the answer to this question is both a yes and a no, dependent upon individual circumstances.  If a child is being told what to believe and will "burn in hell" if they don't believe what they're being told then this is indeed abuse. This is a form of psychological manipulation; although not intentional abuse I will grant, still abuse, nonetheless. Another example would be where a Jehovah's Witness refusing to give their child the medical care it needs because they believe this all part of God's plan; this is a form of physical abuse for sure. The latter example presented here is a very severe type of abuse; that a parent would let their child die from disease because of some "strong held belief" about God's plan with no other bases except just "pure blind faith!"  

Now, faith need not generally be a bad thing. In fact, like hope, it can serve as a reliable heuristics in some cases, such as believing in yourself to win a race in a sporting event. However, when faith is being used in place of reason, logic, and critical evaluation then that's the problem and a very dire one indeed!

Moreover, religion in itself, of course, is not abuse. It is, however, the indoctrination imposed upon young minds that is abuse. Albeit, this doesn't just apply to religion; there are other belief systems that also get infringed upon young people's minds. I believe that children should be allowed to grow up to form their own decisions about what to believe and what not believe. If they decide that they want to be an Atheist then so be it; if they want to follow a particular religion then so be it, and the parents should welcome this whether they are an Atheist or a Theist. 

Religion is and should be a choice. However, it is often imposed upon children rather than having them learned about it first, and then make up their own minds. As I also mentioned some people will even go so far as put the "fear of God" into some young minds that if they don't believe and behave in a such a way they will suffer in hell for eternity. Furthermore, I also said that this kind of indoctrination also applies to other types of indoctrination but I will be so bold and contend that a lot of religious adults are the worst for doing it. 

Furthermore, I think also needs mentioning that Atheist too should by the same token be careful not to infringe their views upon young minds and dictate to them what not to believe. With that being said, however, I do think (generally speaking) an Atheist parent would be far more tolerable of a child that decided to follow a religion than a strong practicing Christian, Muslim, or Jew would be of their child becoming an Atheist. 

So, taking a number of things into account I think we can safely conclude that in some cases religion is a form of abuse and other cases it isn't. "

@ZeusAres42

ZeusAres42Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    @TKDB

Hey thanks for your photo T K got one of the wife?
    TKDB
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42 ;

Because, I have yet to hear anything from any of the news media outlets, express to the public, about such a happening?

So no, Religion, isn't ever child abuse, being that individuals have committed the crimes, of child abuse, and Religion had nothing to do with it.

There isn't a single court case situation, where Religion, is or has been incarcerated for child abuse, along with the guilty child abusers. 
    ZeusAres42Dee
  • I'm sorry, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement? 

No matter the age, gender, socioeconomic status, education or ethnicity, anyone can become a victim of abuse.

https://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/abuse-information/types-of-abuse-what-are-the-different-forms-of-abuse

Without a separation of church and state how are you making the determination that those who appose you in debate are none religious, maybe they simple attack a religion that attacks them?
    ZeusAres42TKDB
    @John_C_87

"No matter the age, gender, socioeconomic status, education or ethnicity, anyone can become a victim of abuse."

"Without a separation of church and state how are you making the determination that those who appose you in debate are none religious, maybe they simple attack a religion that attacks them?"

I haven't been attacked by Religion.

@John_C_87

Have you maybe, been attacked by Religion?

What does my comment, have to do, with your mentioning,  of the "Separation of Church and State?"

(I'm sorry, but why shouldn't some parents, maybe be offended when they, read this as a statement?)

Maybe some, are quietly trying to figure out how to lobby, for the (Separation of Religion from the artificial State of the Internet?)
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen

Fact is, any practice that lowers blood pressure on a regular basis, whether it is pleasant social interactions with friends, or physical exercise, reduces the risk of heart disease... Religion is not needed to get those benefits... Prayers and rituals have their secular counterparts that may produce the same stress-management benefits.

I believe you are right. I think the word to focus on is practice.
    Any practice is good.
    But without religion, practice is sure to dissipate. People will no longer be required to practice stress-reducing procedures and study quality building information.
    The motivation in a nonreligious person and a religious person is vast.
    Hence the term "religious".
    If you want to say someone practices constantly you can use the term he is "religious".

Would you study religion if the whole world was nonreligious?

Fewer people practicing forgiveness, less practice of gratitude.
    This would greatly affect the social society.

Please imagine the world nonreligious.
    Without religion, significantly fewer marriages would occur
    Without religion, exponentially more abortions would occur
    I expect women to get to the point where having a baby would be Taboo
    Also, more stemcell technology would occur.
    Extended life would become the main priority.

Without religion, more juvenile delinquency would occur.
    More school shootings, more drug use, less school attendance, and lower academics.
    Without religion, more crimes, welfare, and unemployed results in even more crimes.
    Higher education would be nonexistent.
    Religious education institutions account for 80% of colleges.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/colleges-and-universities-religious-affiliations

Without religion, practically no gratitude would occur, which would build a more practical society.
    If it doesn't benefit the person they would not do it.
    Without religion, 64% of impoverished people would die of starvation.
    You fall on hard times 36% chance of bouncing back.
    This number would reduce since nonreligious people mentally cannot deal with failure, worry more on mistakes, and are not as resilient.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5895/3f295883fc08629f15b6d4c9c5ca125eeea7.pdf

https://www.freedommag.org/issue/201501-religion/a-day-without-religion.html

More wars without compromise.

I mean you really start to see reality in a fiction post-apocalyptic eras.

It is possible for the world to end and everyone wonders why.

Just food for thought.

Plaffelvohfen
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  

We should be here to listen to other lines of thought. See the world from a different perspective, to grow in understanding.
    Not to judge each other. I know feelings get involved and it causes us to react, but we need to remember our goals.
    I enjoy having real conversations about actual topics without name-calling and character judging.
    Some people are only looking for fights. I want to reframe from even judging those people also, to each their own.
    I can only speak for myself, I enjoy learning.

Thank you for making such a topic, please make more.
    ZeusAres42
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Religion is an ideology, ideologies cannot do anything.  Therefor Religion cannot (By definition) be child abuse or any other form of action.  If you want to play fast and loose with the meaning of Religion then subjectively you can.  In the real world though, words mean things.
    ZeusAres42
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".