frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Anti-Sharia vs pro-Sharia protesters - Who is right?

Debate Information

'Anti-Sharia' Marchers Met With Counter-Protests Around The Country

Protesters who gathered on Saturday to denounce Islamic law were met across the country with equally sized or larger counter-protests.

Organizers called the "March Against Sharia" rallies to protest what they say is the threat to U.S. society posed by the set of traditional Muslim practices, which they say includes oppression of women, honor killings, homophobic violence, female genital mutilation and other abuses.

billpassedaudio_recordspassedbillraehuiw
  1. Live Poll

Who is right

15 votes
    1. Anti-sharia protesters
      53.33%
    2. Sharia protesters
      46.67%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    Both crazy, no side can be chosen for that.
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    Definitely anti.  Sharia law is just evil altogether and goes against our constitution.  
    passedbillraehuiwGeorge_Horse
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    I get why some Muslims want to defend Sharia law if they feel that anti-Sharias are trying to attack Islam as a whole...but from what I've read and heard about it, it's really an awful system and has no place in any country that cares about protecting human rights for everyone. It does not support equality under the law. And although I'm sure there are some islamophobes who actively campaign against Sharia, I'd say that a lot of them just don't want a system of inequality.

@Logic curious to hear what you'd think?
    audio_recordsm_abusteit
  • audio_recordsaudio_records 10 Pts   -  
    The system is unconstitutional and should be allowed in the United States.

Muslims are a growing minority and based on my beliefs, should be allowed into eh country, but without the amount of political power they hold now. An example is beling  able to politically fight for these NON-US like set of rules/laws knows as the Sharias. The Islamic State is not being attacke shut is rather growing and gaining more power. Their power grows between oil, money and other factors. They know they have some control of the US due to their oil and can make them move in any direction they want ether it's with fighting terrorist or in the Isreal Palestine situation. This is not fair to the Us which has been helping the Islamic State especially under the Obama administration. The United States of America is pouring money and our army into fighting terrorism, while the Islamic countries aren't doing anything about it although it affects them more most likely at least for the time being or in our current time period with the current rate of Islamic theorist sprasfing and terrorism in general spreading. These laws can't be present in the US or any place globally. If you ask me, we should eb worried about Russia, but rather the Islamic countries.
    melanielustraehuiw
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    I think they should have right to practice their own religion and rules, however weird it seems to us.
    m_abusteit
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
    We cannot turn sections of our country to this type of regime.  If that's what they want they need to go back...
    otherwise they need to respect the laws ofmoir country.
    m_abusteit
  • passedbillpassedbill 80 Pts   -  
    I agree with @melanielust and @SuperSith89 .
  • raehuiwraehuiw 24 Pts   -  
    The Sharia laws should be allowed to be.

Muslims are US citizens as well and deserve political party and some privelages. There a growing minority in the US and their population is rising globally. 
    m_abusteit
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    @raehuiw

Sharia is not the same as all of Islam. Sharia is a specific part of the Islamic ideology that is followed by a fraction of Muslims. It is a fundamentally unconstitutional system of laws that prohibits many rights and destroys the secularism of an unbiased, democratic government.

Muslims do deserve the same rights, including citizenship; it is also within their rights to create a political party if they so choose. But Sharia law has no place in a democratic government. There are even Muslims who denounce Sharia law.
    ale5joecavalryagsrGeorge_Horse
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    @melanielust , great point made!
    melanielust
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @melanielust and @joecavalry, completely agree.  Sharia law is unconstitutional 
    melanielustGeorge_Horse
    Live Long and Prosper
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    Sharia law contradicts the US law and culture on many levels. Of course wanting to prevent it from occurring is natural, and from the point of the regular American, Sharia law is a very undesirable system. While there are definitely some people in the US that would like to live under a Sharia law, the minority should not force its will on the majority, and quite frankly Sharia law simply comes from reasoning far different than logic-based approach we are used to follow on the West.

At the same time, people are free to voice their desires; it is a liberal democracy, after all. Both anti-Sharia and pro-Sharia protesters are right in that they believe in something and speak out; this is how democracy evolves - through public debate.

Something I would like to criticize, however, is this notion somewhat prevalent among many people supporting cultural relativism (which, in itself, is logically self-consistent): "It is just their culture, we should not judge them for it". No, it is not "just" their culture. Take Saudi Arabia, for example. They say: "Women covering their heads is a part of our culture". Well, if that was true, then they would not have to enforce it: women would just cover their heads because they value their culture, and everyone would be happy. But instead they imprison women for not covering their heads, which means that it is not their culture, but it is a culture that is forced on them. A forced culture is principally different from a natural culture: it mixes people into the grey goo by force, rather than letting them choose whether to jump into the grey goo pool or not.

From this point of view, the anti-Sharia protesters were "more right" than pro-Sharia ones, since the former wanted to prevent the law system forcing people into a culture, while the latter wanted to bring this system in.
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    The "anti" sharia law protesters are most definitely right. Sharia law, where the people live strict according to the practices and rules of the Koran, where women are FORCED to wear the hijab, otherwise facing a execution, and where men have to be straight, if they are homosexual, they will be killed.  Pro-sharia protesters are incredibly moronic and would favor such oppression. 
    Nathaniel_B
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @raehuiw

Sharia is not the same as all of Islam. Sharia is a specific part of the Islamic ideology that is followed by a fraction of Muslims. It is a fundamentally unconstitutional system of laws that prohibits many rights and destroys the secularism of an unbiased, democratic government.

Muslims do deserve the same rights, including citizenship; it is also within their rights to create a political party if they so choose. But Sharia law has no place in a democratic government. There are even Muslims who denounce Sharia law.
    So while this argument as a whole is well done, I'm having a difficult time with the idea that Sharia is only followed by a fraction of Muslims.  Most of my difficulty stems from some confusion.  So if we were to account for all the Muslims in the World (Which has been done with impressive accuracy) and then a poll were established and presented to determine how many of them supported or followed Sharia Law...what fraction are we talking about here?  To say that a fraction of Muslims follow Sharia Law could mean 1/16 or 15/16 however, I'm picking up on a specific connotation that might infer that you're suggesting that it's a small margin of the population of Muslims in the World that follow Sharia.

IF, and ONLY IF your intention was to suggest that a small margin of Muslims follow Sharia Law then I present you the following:

Opposition to this conclusion is largely based on the idea that following "Some" of Sharia Law is ok despite a total lack of evidence as to what that "Some" of Sharia Law specifically is.  My opinion on the matter is that while I'm fairly confident that somewhere in the 3rd Reich Nazi code of laws there's at least one positive practice that doesn't hurt anyone...if you were to suggest that following the 3rd Reich Nazi Code of Laws is somehow good if you "Only follow certain parts" then you'd still be deserving of complete social banishment.  Sharia Law and the Nazi Code are so incredibly morally reprehensible that it doesn't matter how you cut and piece parts of it out to "Only keep the good parts", you will inevitably label yourself as immoral for following any version of either.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".