frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The Mandela Effect

Debate Information

The “Mandela Effect” is what happens when someone has a clear, personal memory of something that never happened in this reality.

Many of us — mostly total strangers — remember several of the exact same events with the exact same details. However, our memories are different from what’s in history books, newspaper archives, and so on.

I'm going to start a list of the one's from the top of my head, and add as I find more. Feel free to add your own. Granted, this effect does not pertain to everyone, mostly people in their late 20's and up are affected. If you can somehow prove we are just misremembering this stuff, chime in and prove it!

1. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

Now no longer says "the" neighborhood. Was changed to "this" neighborhood. 

2. Star Wars Darth Vader's famous line "Luke, I am your father."

Changed to "No, I am your father"

3. The Berenstein Bears books

Arguably the most famous of the Mandela effects, the "e" has been changed to an "a" in Berenstain.

4. Oscar Meyer 

Is now Oscar Mayer

5. Sex in the City

Is now Sex and the City

6. Queen' s famous song "We are the Champions" (end of the song goes ..."of the world!")

That ending is now gone. 

7. Monopoly's uncle moneybags has lost his monocle.

8. Pikachu's tail doesn't have a black tip now.

9. C3PO has always had a silver leg. Most remember him being all gold.

10. Forest Gump's line "Life is like a box of chocolates"

Is now "Life was like a box of chocolates"

These are just a few of the Mandela effects I can think of, but the list is growing everyday. So what is it? Bad memory? Or some wierd supernatural phenomena? 

dropoutnorthsouthkoreaanonymousdebater
  1. Live Poll

Mandela effect is real?

5 votes
    1. Time machine, dual realities, something is going on!
      40.00%
    2. You older cats just smoked too much weed!
      60.00%
Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• dropoutdropout 39 Pts   -  
    No, the Mandela affect may be caused from age and possibly other factors. This doesn't mean the person is going crazy.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    dropout said:
    No, the Mandela affect may be caused from age and possibly other factors. This doesn't mean the person is going crazy.
    I mean, I'm late thirties, no health issues or other memory issues, and I see most of this as true, I'm sure most of the thirty-something population will agree.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    dropout said:
    So, you think this is just memory loss? I guess James Earl Jones is just getting old too huh.

Wayne Dyer
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    In terms of language, a lot of times when people hear things it will become commonplace and incorporated into the reality over time. This is how all languages develop and distinguish themselves. For example "Sex in the City" is very often confused with the real name, "Sex and the City" because that's simply what some people hear - they sound very similar. And for events, a lot of collective false memories are factors of social reinforcement; if two or three people believe something happened, they convince other people who are not sure of what happened, and the image spreads from there. It's easy for people to convince themselves of certain things if they were not 100% sure of all the details to begin with.

I've never heard of the Mandela Effect before though, it seems pretty cool.
    agsr
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat, another conspiracy theory I didn't hear about before. Entertaining - thank you for posting.  
    I agree with @melanielust, sometimes things just evolve over time and get incorporated into updates.  I do NOT think it is time travelers changing our reality ..LOL.
    Live Long and Prosper
    agsr said:
    @Erfisflat, another conspiracy theory I didn't hear about before. Entertaining - thank you for posting.  
    I agree with @melanielust, sometimes things just evolve over time and get incorporated into updates.  I do NOT think it is time travelers changing our reality ..LOL.
    There are probably dozens of examples out there, a little research will turn up one that I'm sure you'll agree, has been changed. I owned the VHS copy of Interview with A Vampire. I saw it in theaters and specifically remember looking at a capitalised a in the title. Thinking this was not normal as a isn't usually capitalised in a title. I checked my local thrift shop and found it was always "the vampire"

Wayne Dyer
    In terms of language, a lot of times when people hear things it will become commonplace and incorporated into the reality over time. This is how all languages develop and distinguish themselves. For example "Sex in the City" is very often confused with the real name, "Sex and the City" because that's simply what some people hear - they sound very similar. And for events, a lot of collective false memories are factors of social reinforcement; if two or three people believe something happened, they convince other people who are not sure of what happened, and the image spreads from there. It's easy for people to convince themselves of certain things if they were not 100% sure of all the details to begin with.

I've never heard of the Mandela Effect before though, it seems pretty cool.
    As a child, I got a small collection of the Berenstain books for Christmas and specifically remember asking my mother if it should be pronounced like Frankenstein, because of its spelling. She confirmed when i asked her about the memory and was awestruck when we pulled out an old copy of these books.

Wayne Dyer
    11. In Snow whites story, the evil queens line is "mirror mirror, on the wall..."

Has now been changed to "magic mirror on the wall.."

Wayne Dyer
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat
    In the original story, it was "mirror mirror" on the wall, and a lot of cultural references stemmed from that alone. It was changed by Disney in 1973; they did their own version of it and changed it to "magic mirror"
    For the fellow James bond fans, in Moonraker, at the end when Jaws meets his future bride, I specifically remember her having braces! It made sense because that gave them something in common. Now it's just wierd.

northsouthkorea

Wayne Dyer
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    @erfislfat , I agree with your point. People can have these types of memories.
    Erfisflat
    The kidneys have presumably always been located in the upper back, not the lower back.

In The wizard of Oz, did the wicked witch, when sending her flying monkeys out the window said:
    "Fly!, fly, fly!"
    Or
    "Fly my pretties"

Febreze or
    Febreeze

White-out or
    Wite-out

Who gave the scarecrow a gun in wizard of oz?

E.T. phone home or
    E.T. home phone?

Houdini died drowned during an act, or on a hospital bed of a ruptured appendix?

Froot loops or
    fruit loops 

"Beam me up Scotty"
    Never said in star trek, ever.

Where did that squiggly come from?

Snuffleuffagus 
    Or snuffleupagus

JFK's car 6 seater or 4 seater?

I'll hug and puff and blow your house...
    In or down?

Cup noodles 
    Cup o noodles

Wayne Dyer
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat ;There could be shared false memories (however a little different from false memories) or when someone says something, it can reinforce a false memory. For example, "Here’s an example: at some point in their education, most Americans learn that Alexander Hamilton was a founding father but not a US president. However, when a study on false memory investigated whom most Americans identify as US presidents, the subjects were more likely to incorrectly select Hamilton but not several actual former presidents. This is likely to be because neurons encoding information about Hamilton were frequently activated at the same time as neurons encoding information about former presidents. Because neurons that ‘fire together wire together’, a connection between past presidents and Hamilton could gradually become strong enough that you would incorrectly remember Hamilton as a former president himself."
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2017/02/16/mandela-effect-false-memories/#.WnpoMKOZMdU

Here are other websites:
    https://aeon.co/ideas/on-shared-false-memories-what-lies-behind-the-mandela-effect
    http://www.debunkingmandelaeffects.com/mandela-effect-introduction/
    https://knowingneurons.com/2017/02/01/mandela-effect/
    anonymousdebater
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    The Mandela effect is like the cosmological argument.

If one talks b#*#*cks for long enough, eventually some gullible will believe you.