frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Hey father

Debate Information

in the absence of a god, do you believe that there should be one?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    I assume you mean a theistic god? Then no... Why bother ourselves with a celestial dictator?
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    double-post...
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Without one we'd have to find some new phrases in place of:  Oh MY God, or good GOD, or God save the King plus a few others I won't go into here…….. many of us would be tongue tied!
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    Why not@Plaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    for instance, how is (if he were real} his laws according to the ones he has in the bible, any different than what America has? pretty much the same huh?  and we have more laws, so by your logic, then America is a dictatorship.@Plaffelvohfen
    @maxx

I can always move out of America, I can also escape the regime by killing myself whereas with a theistic god, even death is not an escape... Who wants to willfully submit themselves into slavery?? 
    John_C_87
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    who wants to?  we do it every day. at least if there was a god the final outcome is immortality.  tell me, what laws of his make humans a slave?
    @Plaffelvohfen
    John_C_87Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    You ask ......in the absence of a god, do you believe that there should be one

My reply ..... For what purpose would one require a god? It’s totally unnecessary  
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    why is it unnecessary?if there were a god and if everyone knew it, then would that not curtail most crimes? you may as well say we do not need laws at all; they are not necessary. if we had a god, dont you believe he would do a better job than most governments in keeping peace just due to the threat of eternal damnation?
    @Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    @Maxx

You say .....why is it unnecessary?if there were a god and if everyone knew it, then would that not curtail most crimes?

my reply .....But most people claim to believe in a god and claim to believes such yet how is this curtailing crime  

You say ...... you may as well say we do not need laws at all; they are not necessary.

My reply .....No , I never said that , that’s merely your opinion not mine 

You say ......if we had a god, dont you believe he would do a better job than most governments in keeping peace just due to the threat of eternal damnation?

My reply ......I don’t believe that , eternal damnation has not stopped the religious carrying out and continuing to carry out atrocities has it?
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    Sorry for the delay. I have a life outside of this site. Most atrocities And wars are committed between different religions. I am not an atheist I am one who doesn’t know.  I can’t agree with a personal God of the Bible. If there is a God then he exists in a much higher plane but no one most people believe in. However unlike you if a Christian God certainly shows up I can except him .You on the other hand could not because you do not like to be proven wrong. You would simply go to hell in spite of yourself@Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

You say .......However unlike you if a Christian God certainly shows up I can except him

My reply ......Yes unlike you I do not expect supernatural entities to show up but hey that’s just me 

You say ..... on the other hand could not because you do not like to be proven wrong.

My reply ......So I should believe just in case I’m wrong ......right got ya .....thanks for the heads up 

You say ......You would simply go to hell in spite of yourself

My reply .....Right , so I should pretend to believe to avoid Hell .....oooookay 
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    It’s obvious you can’t debate a hypothetical idea@Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

You say ......It’s obvious you can’t debate a hypothetical idea

My reply .....It’s obvious you don’t like different opinions to your own regarding hypothetical scenarios , maybe this is something you need to ask yourself as in why do you dislike different opinions to yours? 
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    You said in a mocking way that perhaps you should pretend. I asked you to assume for the sake of the debate. If god were real then what laws of his do you not like?@Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited August 2019

@Maxx

You say ......You said in a mocking way that perhaps you should pretend.

My reply ......Yes I did say that because you made a sarcastic remark regards my position 

You say .......I asked you to assume for the sake of the debate. If god were real then what laws of his do you not like

My reply .....The Christian god I presume is the one you’re talking about , I don’t like his laws and rules regarding slavery where god tells how one can purchase , sell and beat slaves as they are your property to do as you like with.

• maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    And how many laws of the US government do you dislike? @Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @maxx

You ask ......
    And how many laws of the US government do you dislike

My reply .....I’m not familiar with U S Law , but what I do know regrade  American Law is the right to carry a gun has led to huge problems and I don’t think it makes for good Law 

maxx said:
     at least if there was a god the final outcome is immortality.
    @Plaffelvohfen

I absolutely don't want immortality, eternal conscious existence would be the worst possible fate in my opinion... Someone actually wishing for eternal life doesn't understand what he's getting into... I will always chose oblivion and non-existence over eternal life...