frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Humanity Does Not Require Further Technological Advancement

Debate Information

joecavalrybillpassed
  1. Live Poll

20 votes
    1. For the Motion
      25.00%
    2. Against the Motion
      75.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Define the word "require" and the answer will become clear.
    agsr
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Technological advancements are required to due further enhancements to society, etc.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    Humanity needs further technological and many advancements, because society has to be better.
  • It needs way more technological advancements!
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Does humanity require anything other than food and water?

Is technological advancement, a human thing or actually an evolutionary thing?

I subscribe to the notion, that humanity (or more simply the organic) is a phase in a preordained process of material evolution.

Therefore I would suggest that technological advancement is not a human requirement, but an evolutionary inevitability.
  • xMathFanxxMathFanx 140 Pts   -  
    Does humanity require anything other than food and water?

Is technological advancement, a human thing or actually an evolutionary thing?

I subscribe to the notion, that humanity (or more simply the organic) is a phase in a preordained process of material evolution.

Therefore I would suggest that technological advancement is not a human requirement, but an evolutionary inevitability.

Interesting.  You appear to fundamentally agree with Ray Kurzweil on this topic.  Have you read "The Singularity is Near"?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    I think humanity is different from other animal kinds on Earth exactly because it evolved to never be settled for the current status-quo. Historically, we constantly learned how to create new tools, how to harness new natural phenomena, how to make our life more easy, productive and comfortable. Have we achieved a lot in this regard? Definitely.

But it is also in the nature of every species to become adapted and used to the current situation. Our current level of technology 100 years ago seemed like a never-unreachable fantasy: "If I could live like this, what could I possibly want?" And yet we live nowadays, perfectly used to all these tools we have created, and still are unhappy with many things. We still see a lot of room for improvement.

I doubt it will ever change. Humanity, as well as probably any intelligent species in the Universe, needs to advance its technology constantly to have its need for satisfaction fulfilled. Whenever we achieve a certain milestone, we see a new milestone ahead and strive to reach it. And if we ever stop evolving and start being satisfied with the current status-quo, then we will become just like any other animal species, and a resource for harvest for more ambitious intelligence species from outside our solar system.

So, I would say that eternal technological advancement is a requirement for our long-term survival. Ironically, it also may spell our eventual doom, if the technology we have created is turned against us. It is an interesting paradox, with unknown resolution.
    piloteer
  • MasterofPunMasterofPun 34 Pts   -  
    I believe that God gave humans the ability to create technology so that we could imitate and honor Him in doing so. Therefore, I see no reason to eliminate the worship that can be given - God deserves all praise, not just the inexpensive types.

Also, the planet of Earth is in drastic need of improvement. It is designed to be used by humans, and it is not as human friendly as it can and should be. Furthermore, poverty and starvation are massive concerns in large portions of the globe. While I don't think that technology alone will ever solve these issues (and I don't believe they will be solved until Jesus returns Matthew 26:1), technology can help us improve crop yields. This has been seen in Kenya, which I have personally visited. There is great room for improvement in managing Earth's resources and getting more resources!

Furthermore, technology is what we can use to obtain resources from other planets, asteroids, and moons. As long as humanity is around, we can expand and increase our resources pool for all. Society improvement needs to come along as well for a significant change in humanity as a whole - but that's off topic and I won't discuss that.

If the Lord tarry's for a long time, then we might end up expending much of Earth's resources (and the sun). Technology will help human beings be able to survive and flourish in other parts of the universe - discovering more of the amazing universe God has made!
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -  
    I think that humanity needs technology to improve the standard of living and chance of survival. Technologies such as bioengineering can can make disabled people move like normal people by giving them artificial body parts. In addition, eyesight and hearing can be restored by advanced tech. Furthermore, improved technology can increase energy efficiency that can make more energy out of energy source from which people used to get significantly less energy. Highly advanced Nano technology enables us to virtually make anything out of anything by rearranging atoms, which can reduce wastes.
  • JoshBaileyJoshBailey 37 Pts   -  
    As society evolves, so does the tools we use. I do not believe our society has reached its peak yet, so I believe we will always need technological advancement.  The moment our advancement starts, our society inevitably will begin to decline.
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -  
    @JoshBailey Can you tell me any reason why you think that our society will begin to decline as the advancement starts?
    대왕광개토 (Thank you for pointing out my typo there. I will still respond as if it were stops, not starts in the original comment.) 

In ancient times, they used technology we cannot fully explain today (Mostly due to loss of records). If we only maintain our current level of technological understanding, humanity very well may be doomed to lose understanding of how we have our current tools, as well as failure to maintain them over generations. This would inevitably lead to our social decline. 
    대왕광개토 (Thank you for pointing out my typo there. I will still respond as if it were stops, not starts in the original comment.) 

In ancient times, they used technology we cannot fully explain today (Mostly due to loss of records). If we only maintain our current level of technological understanding, humanity very well may be doomed to lose understanding of how we have our current tools, as well as failure to maintain them over generations. This would inevitably lead to our social decline. 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    @JoshBailey

The thing to note though is that a lot of our modern technology is designed in such a way as to allow for easy reverse engineering. It may be hard to understand how something works by just interacting with it and reading manuals, but everything is designed to be modulable, modifiable, interactable - and that is unlikely to change in the future.

I do not think our technology will become too difficult to maintain; if anything, automation will allow for the technology to maintain itself, providing us with a very simple to use interface for modifying it.

I also do not agree with the notion that technological evolution and social decline are compatible; if anything, the more advanced technology becomes, the less energy we will need to spend taking care of our basic needs, and the more we will have left to pursue relationships, art, science, etc. Today our society is more enlightened than ever before. 100 years from now, our culture will have evolved so far that we will probably lose the ability to understand the modern reality well. The world will have changed so much, that our current lifestyles, and ideas that come with them, will be completely unrelatable for those people.