frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

E-Cigarette Deaths

Debate Information

The CDC advises all e-cigarette users to go back to smoking cigarettes.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Well I won't, I'm sticking with my vape...
    jesusisGod777
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Dr_MaybeDr_Maybe 138 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    Me to, but why are sticking with our vapes?
    Plaffelvohfen
  • jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    E ciggerretes cause pop-corn lungs a condition that results in death.

The air sacs in the lungs fill with water and eventually burst open.

Jesus is Lord.
    BrainSocks
    @jesusisGod777

Life is a process that result in death so why should I care?
    Dr_Maybe said:
    Me to, but why are sticking with our vapes?
    I don't know for you but I like to chase clouds and play with different flavors, like ice cream.... And I craft my own juice recipes... 
    @Plaffelvohfen

Yes, we're all going to die. Death is inevitable.maybe, if you could, let's reason.

I can tell from your posts on here that you have a favorable view of evolution but I really don't think that's the cause.

Instead of thinking of life as ultimately pointless because everyone dies, consider that, evolution as a theory causes a very bleak outlook on life.

Evolution as a theory suggests some people are completely useless.

That's not the case. Everyone has value. Your life has value and you as a person have value. I want to tell you you shouldn't let a theory take your value away from you.

God, Jesus Christ loves you. You should be loved by other people. If Yahweh God loves you, why shouldn't everyone else?

Now I have been shrewd in my comments on here because I don't like what evolution does to people.

There's something worth a lot more in this world than appearing intelligent to other people.

No matter how smart you are, it doesn't make a difference in what really counts in life.

I have no idea what you've been through however I know Yahweh God's love is greater for you then the people you've met and a bleak theory that causes you to view your life as pointless.

I hope you find Jesus.

Revelation 3:20
    Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Stay blessed.

Romans 10:9

Jesus loves you.
    @jesusisGod777

I don't care about your god or any gods, I'm a militant anti-theist (I don't mind deism though)...

Existence is without objective purpose and nothing has intrinsic value, but I don't see it as a problem... You could say I'm a nihilistic jovialist, we're all heading into oblivion but I don't mind, I live in the moment as it's all there is...
    ZeusAres42
  • BrainSocksBrainSocks 39 Pts   -  
    Not to say that Cigarettes are in any way good for you, but you've all probably seen the commercial: 20x more nicotine than their regular counterparts. So in the addiction regard, I agree with the CDC.
  • Dr_MaybeDr_Maybe 138 Pts   -  
    E ciggerretes cause pop-corn lungs a condition that results in death.

The air sacs in the lungs fill with water and eventually burst open.
    The CDC advises e-cigarette users to stop using e-cigarettes, the CDC also says that smoking cigarettes kill 1,300 people every single day. There are 10.8 million Americans using ecigs if they were as bad as cigarettes we would be looking at a hell of a lot more dead people.

In the 13 years I have been closely following all the health related news and studies about ecigs only two people have died and one of them died because his battery exploded. Another thing I have seen is that just about every study that has been done so far has been discredited.

Going back to smoking is NOT in your best interest and putting out a message like that is not only irresponsible it's deadly.

PlaffelvohfenBrainSocks
    @jesusisGod777

Life is a process that result in death so why should I care?
    Add to that the "fact" that heaven is so much better than life here on earth why wouldn't you want to die?

Plaffelvohfen
    @Plaffelvohfen

Here's something evolution won't teach you.

Jesus loves you! I won't give up on you!
    Plaffelvohfen
    Plaffelvohfen
    @BrainSocks

That's why I craft my own juices, I control the nicotine amount I put in (could do away with it completely if I cared to but I don't) and the quality of the vegetable glycerin base as well as the flavoring... ;)  
    @Plaffelvohfen

Bla bla bla.

Stereotypical religious guy here.

Plaffelvohfen
    Dr_Maybe said:
    @Plaffelvohfen

Bla bla bla.

Stereotypical religious guy here.

Nah, he's a much more fanatical specimen than the average...
  • BrainSocksBrainSocks 39 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen It's great that--if you're going to do it--you make your own. E-cigarettes are still so new that they aren't even regulated. Therefore, people that buy them could be putting basically anything in their bodies with long-lasting or even permanent effects.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    E-cigarettes functionally are basically like regular cigarettes, but without the poisonous smoke. Countless independent organisations studied them thoroughly and did not find anything dangerous in them. The only thing they do is develop nicotine shortage in the organism, making the user dependent on them - but that in itself does not have any negative effects on the user's health, as long as the consumption is regular.

On the other hand, regular cigarettes are extremely dangerous; I would argue that they are far worse than excessive alcohol or light drug consumption. My dad got lung cancer because of ~40 years of smoking, and e-cigarettes were literally a life saver for him, helping him through the chemotherapy period. If he continued to smoke regular cigarettes (and he wouldn't be able to give up smoking; he tried countless times), chances are he would not live to see today.

People should stop being afraid of new technologies and embrace them. Technology is our future, and we can achieve unimaginable heights in terms of quality of life if we stop holding on to ancient superstitions and start looking forward instead.
    PlaffelvohfenDr_MaybeBrainSocksOppolzer
    PlaffelvohfenDr_Maybe
    @MayCaesar

Nicotine is rightly reviled because of its associations with smoking and addiction. But interestingly enough, the rogue substance has a wide range of effects on the brain, which may include some healing properties. Researchers are testing nicotine and related compounds as treatments for Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and other conditions. 

A bad reputation is hard to overcome but is not always warranted... ;) 
    MayCaesarBrainSocksOppolzer
    @Plaffelvohfen

Revelation 3:20
    Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Romans 10:9
    PlaffelvohfenDr_MaybeBrainSocks
    Not to say that Cigarettes are in any way good for you, but you've all probably seen the commercial: 20x more nicotine than their regular counterparts. So in the addiction regard, I agree with the CDC.

Ecig juice has a lot of nicotine in it because it’s not absorbed by the body as readily as it is with cigarette smoke.

Most people don’t get as much nicotine as they would with a regular cigarette.

BrainSocks
    @Plaffelvohfen It's great that--if you're going to do it--you make your own. E-cigarettes are still so new that they aren't even regulated. Therefore, people that buy them could be putting basically anything in their bodies with long-lasting or even permanent effects.
    I don't know a single person that vapes who thinks ecigs are safe. They are not safe, but they are a lot safer than cigarettes.
    PlaffelvohfenBrainSocks
    @MayCaesar

Nicotine is rightly reviled because of its associations with smoking and addiction. But interestingly enough, the rogue substance has a wide range of effects on the brain, which may include some healing properties. Researchers are testing nicotine and related compounds as treatments for Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and other conditions. 

A bad reputation is hard to overcome but is not always warranted... ;) 
    The nicotine in ecigs is not as addictive because the cigarette companies all put chemicals in the tobacco that increases it's addictive properties.
    BrainSocks
    MayCaesar said:
    E-cigarettes functionally are basically like regular cigarettes, but without the poisonous smoke. Countless independent organisations studied them thoroughly and did not find anything dangerous in them. The only thing they do is develop nicotine shortage in the organism, making the user dependent on them - but that in itself does not have any negative effects on the user's health, as long as the consumption is regular.

On the other hand, regular cigarettes are extremely dangerous; I would argue that they are far worse than excessive alcohol or light drug consumption. My dad got lung cancer because of ~40 years of smoking, and e-cigarettes were literally a life saver for him, helping him through the chemotherapy period. If he continued to smoke regular cigarettes (and he wouldn't be able to give up smoking; he tried countless times), chances are he would not live to see today.

People should stop being afraid of new technologies and embrace them. Technology is our future, and we can achieve unimaginable heights in terms of quality of life if we stop holding on to ancient superstitions and start looking forward instead.

So how is your dad, what’s he doing?

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Dr_Maybe said:

The CDC advises e-cigarette users to stop using e-cigarettes,

Where are you getting this?  Their website states differently.

• E-cigarettes have the potential to benefit adult smokers who are not pregnant if used as a complete substitute for regular cigarettes and other smoked tobacco products.
    • E-cigarettes are not safe for youth, young adults, pregnant women, or adults who do not currently use tobacco products.
    • While e-cigarettes have the potential to benefit some people and harm others, scientists still have a lot to learn about whether e-cigarettes are effective for quitting smoking.
    • If you’ve never smoked or used other tobacco products or e-cigarettes, don’t start.
    • Additional research can help understand long-term health effects.
    https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/index.htm

BrainSocksMayCaesar
  • I highly doubt that the Centre for Disease Control would be advising people to switch from one possible disease causing agent to another (well-known) disease causing agent.

Furthermore, I have no idea where you got that information from because that is not what the CDC says. https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/

Additionally, here is some more data coming from reliable and reputable health organizations:

UK National Heal Service

E-cigarettes

An estimated 2.9 million adults in Great Britain currently use e-cigarettes and of these, 1.5 million people have completely stopped smoking cigarettes. They carry a fraction of the risk of cigarettes and can be particularly effective when combined with extra quitting support.

Harvard Health

Electronic-cigarettes: Less deadly than regular cigarettes

First, the good news: electronic cigarettes are almost certainly less lethal than conventional cigarettes. Cigarette smoking is a uniquely dangerous addiction. In fact, cigarettes might be the only consumer product that kills when used as directed. Cigarettes are the number one cause of preventable death in the United States, killing 480,000 people every year. That’s more deaths than HIV, heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine, alcohol, motor vehicle accidents, and firearms combined. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/electronic-cigarettes-good-news-bad-news-2016072510010

• OppolzerOppolzer 191 Pts   -  
    E-cigarettes are by far safer than traditional cigarettes.

But merely because they're safer, I don't think it should be any form of encouragement to begin using e-cigarettes if you're not a current tobacco user, especially if you're young and your brain isn't fully developed yet. I agree that it's beneficial in which it allows you to quit smoking because quitting smoking is an excellent thing. 

Your health is such an essential and delicate thing, and e-cigarettes have significant potential in which it can mitigate the damages from smoking.
    MayCaesarPlaffelvohfenZeusAres42
  • CYDdharta said:
    Dr_Maybe said:

The CDC advises e-cigarette users to stop using e-cigarettes,

Where are you getting this?  Their website states differently.

• E-cigarettes have the potential to benefit adult smokers who are not pregnant if used as a complete substitute for regular cigarettes and other smoked tobacco products.
    • E-cigarettes are not safe for youth, young adults, pregnant women, or adults who do not currently use tobacco products.
    • While e-cigarettes have the potential to benefit some people and harm others, scientists still have a lot to learn about whether e-cigarettes are effective for quitting smoking.
    • If you’ve never smoked or used other tobacco products or e-cigarettes, don’t start.
    • Additional research can help understand long-term health effects.
    https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/index.htm

Just noticed you beat me to it LOL. Anyway, yes, this is correct and is in line with many other health organizations across the globe.
    CYDdharta

I highly doubt that the Centre for Disease Control would be advising people to switch from one possible disease causing agent to another (well-known) disease causing agent.

Furthermore, I have no idea where you got that information from because that is not what the CDC says. https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/

Additionally, here is some more data coming from reliable and reputable health organizations:

UK National Heal Service

E-cigarettes

An estimated 2.9 million adults in Great Britain currently use e-cigarettes and of these, 1.5 million people have completely stopped smoking cigarettes. They carry a fraction of the risk of cigarettes and can be particularly effective when combined with extra quitting support.

Harvard Health

Electronic-cigarettes: Less deadly than regular cigarettes

First, the good news: electronic cigarettes are almost certainly less lethal than conventional cigarettes. Cigarette smoking is a uniquely dangerous addiction. In fact, cigarettes might be the only consumer product that kills when used as directed. Cigarettes are the number one cause of preventable death in the United States, killing 480,000 people every year. That’s more deaths than HIV, heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine, alcohol, motor vehicle accidents, and firearms combined. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/electronic-cigarettes-good-news-bad-news-2016072510010

That's my point, they may as well have said it. The city of Milwaukee issued a stern warning to residents: Stop vaping immediately. I have seen news stories all over the place that spin it that way too. What's happening is people with an irrational bias are using it to present ecigs as something that should be made illegal. If that happens we will have a lot of people die as a result.

• MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    As a non-smoker I highly prefer the vape, it doesn't effect the secondary population.  The individual can decide for themselves health risks they want to take.  We don't ban cigarettes, over eating or really anything else deemed to be harmful to an individuals health.  Not sure why vape would be banned (similar to smoking i could see why you have to be at least 18).

Seems that the research isn't fully out yet, but the conclusion seems heading towards  not as bad as regular smoking.  Most of the main incidents involving vape have come from people buying from the black market.
  • calebsicacalebsica 95 Pts   -  
    vapes are better than cigarettes but ist is better if you don't do either